A change of lifestyle .

I probably should shave once a day, but can't grow a real beard. I can grow one of those Coal Miner/Civil War/ Been in these thar hills a mite too long Stove Pipe Neck Ties; but no beard.

I can grow a gang banger beard- chin. But I can't bring myself to do it and trimming it would be a hassle anyway. So I basically shave my neck and yell encouragement to the hair on my jaw lines to grow, man, grow. I've been yelling over ten years.

Like the hair on top of my head, when it's a problem, it gets cut.

Now, about those nose hairs...can anyone tell me what the evolutionary strategy is for a nose hair to leave the comfort of the cavern and grow outside? I don't get it. Do these hairs think they're accomplishing something? I really think God Goofed.

And ear hairs? Geeze. What's that about? Goofy old men. They got hair growing out of places that used to work.

munk

I actually have a few grey goose feathers and I was kinda disappointed . They are not a strong grey color . As you can tell from my name I like grey . Everything from the grey between black and white , using the old grey matter and I,m even trying to make some grey camauflauge . I haven,t gotten to self nocking my arrows yet . As I have cedar for 450 arrows in my hallway I have to get to it soon .

Anyone thinking about it could drive or stroll down to the old range . These places are often set up like clubs with at least rudimentary coffee making facilities . Slinging tall stories and helping others is high on most of these guys lists . Even if its a straight compound club ask around and you,ll hear of the odd guy (euphemisticly speaking) who likes to do things the old fashioned way . Get yourself in their good graces and drag the wife anf kids with you . Drug free , rap free , good healthy exercise .

I've gotten so used to shaving with my straight razors that every now and then for a bit of "fun" I use to shave with a knife. For such foolishness as that, I highly recommend a good puukko with about a 3 3/4 - 4 inch blade, or a large Opinel folder, fresh honed and well stropped. Lather up prodigiously and mind that needle sharp point lads, it'll snag the unwary. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Kevin, historical references aside, one of the primary reasons I use white fletching is that it makes the arrows easier to find in the grass and underbrush. I've seen guys that seem to think camouflaged arrows are way cool, but I've never figured why. An arrow coming straight at you don't give you much to look at, nor a whole lot of time to do so. Only time a camo arrow would make any kind of sense to me is mounted in a bow quiver on a bow being used to hunt turkey, them critters have good eyes.

By the way, I may have to reconsider about the beard bit, my friends all seem unanimously dissapointed that I lopped it off. Maybe it's not the beard they liked so much as what it was hiding. ;)

Sarge

All I read are safety threads about keeping my body parts out of the path of sharp and pointy things . Now you want me to shave my neck with one that is literally razor sharp ! L:O:L

I saw One of the Louis L,amour "Sacket" movies that had Sam Elliot shaving someones moustache off with an Arkansaw toothpick ! No soap no water and no way ! L:O:L

Well, I reckon straight razors ain't for everybody. Gave my oldest brother a couple of nice ones so he could give "old timey" shaving a try. That didn't last long, said he got tired of going to work looking like he'd stuck his head in a bag full of alley cats. :eek:

Now that I'm back to shaving, I pulled out my homemade razor this morning and got 'er done. Good razor, ground it from a real old Johnson "cast steel" file that Kismet sent me. Nothing fancy, just an old file, some scraps of lacewood, and three brass pins, but I'm sort of proud of it.

attachment.php

Sarge

BruiseLeee said:
That Ronco spray on hair might work. ;) :) :rolleyes:

:D LOL. That would be from the Professor Clouseau disguise manual. Would I get more MANLY looking?:rolleyes: Oh well, since I'm already married I'll just go on looking 16 yrs old instead.

Thats an interesting razor . I am going to give her another try with that old razor of mine . If it works out I,ll look around for a modern replica as this puppy is more of an antique than a useable blade . All the straight razors available around here have disposable blades themselves . Kinda defeats their own purpose . Is there a good brand name of satraight razor I should look for thats not on the expensive end of things . They do sell a lot of victorinox around here if that is a good lead . I would like something that has a traditional look .

Kevin, I pick up old razors in antique shops and gun shows for around 25 to 30 dollars. Understand that with an old razor you will definitely have to recondition the edge before it's fit to shave with (a painstaking and time consuming process that's considerably more involved than just putting an edge on a knife). As far as brands to look for, don't sweat that, if it's an antique carbon steel razor, that ain't wore out, rusted to pieces, or got big chips missing out of the edge (you will run across those), it can be reconditioned and will give good service. My personal preference is razors made in Sheffield, England (Wade & Butcher es numero uno). Here's a website with some fine examples of very nice old razors at fairly reasonable prices http://www.oldnew-goodstuff.com/AntiqueStraightRazors.html

You can save yourself a lot of work by getting a new razor, but oddly enough it'll cost you roughly double what you'll spend on an antique one. Most reasonably priced are the ones made by DOVO of Solingen, Germany. Good quality razors for around 55 bucks and up.
g148b.jpg

I'll give you some advice I should have given my knucklehead older brother about how to get started shaving with a straight razor. When you're first starting out, just shave the easy, wide open, areas of your cheeks with the straight razor, use your regular razor to finish off the tricky bits like your upper and lower lip area, chin, and neck. Little by little, as you feel more comfortable/confident with the straight razor, start gradually shaving more of your face and leaving less to finish with the safety razor. This approach lets you ease into it and build your skills/confidence at your own pace. In time you'll have the proper hang of it and wonder what the heck you were skeered about in the first place. ;)

Sarge

Sylvrfalcn said:
Kevin, I pick up old razors in antique shops and gun shows for around 25 to 30 dollars. Understand that with an old razor you will definitely have to recondition the edge before it's fit to shave with (a painstaking and time consuming process that's considerably more involved than just putting an edge on a knife.

Sarge

Sarge will you please explain to us folks who have never sharpened a straight razor how to go about it properly?
I'm wondering if the Spyderco Fine and Extra Fine Ceramic Hones would do for an edge prior to stropping?
The Extra Fine is super smooth!!!! Actually smoother than the large piece of an old razor hone I have I believe.
And what sort of compound do you use on your razor strop, same as what you use for your knives, anyway would like to know which one?

dang....I envy y'all who are complainin' about a lack of facial hair. If I go more than a week or two without shaving I gotta start dodging media, tranquilizers, and bigfoot hunters. Heck...my most frequent use for my 18' Sirupati was for reaching behind and shaving my back...had the perfect blade shape for that kinda thing....:D

Maybe I should run to the main forum and post that one...

"THE BEST KHUK FOR BACKSHAVING?":D

Just for you Yvsa :D

RAZOR RECONDITIONING A LA SARGE
<DISCLAIMER: The methods outlined below have served me well for a number of years. However, I do not claim to be an authority, nor do I imply that my processes are the "absolute best" or "only" way to do it>

Right, let's assume we just picked up a nifty old straight razor at a swap meet/gun show. The carbon steel blade has some light surface rust but no serious pitting, and the edge is okay other than being dull and having a few small nicks.

-Step 1: Clean and polish. I use 1500 - 2000 grit sandpaper, 0000 steel wool, and Flitz metal polish to get the blade as clean and highly polished as possible. Handles of most old razors you'll run across will be celluloid, bakelite, or some other form of synthetic, these get a couple good coats of Renaissance Wax. Bone/horn handles get soaked in mineral oil/Hooflex, then wiped clean and polished with a soft cotton cloth

-Step 2: Reestablish primary edge. A hollow ground file is it's own sharpening guide, laid flat on a hone, the thick spine presents the cutting edge at the proper angle for honing (this is why on well worn old razors there'll be actual flats cut on both sides of the spine from repeated sharpenings). Start with an EZ-Lap diamond hone (medium to fine grit), lay the blade flat on it and hone away without lifting blade from the hone . Particular technique (back and forth, circular motions, etc.) is not especially important as long as you grind the entire length of the edge evenly. After grinding on one side for a while, flip the blade over and work on the other side. In time you will produce a wire edge or "burr", your goal being to make this wire edge uniform along the entire length of the cutting edge. If the edge had nicks in it, or wasn't exactly plumb and true, this could take a while, so be patient. Whatever you do, do not at this point try to hone off the wire edge, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE FOR NOW!

-Step 3: Polish away grinding marks. The diamond hone was used for fast stock removal to quickly true up the edge. However, those scratches and grooves it left are totally undesirable, so now we've got to make 'em go away. Start with 600 grit paper on a piece of plate glass or other perfectly true flat surface, again laying the razor blade flat on the abrasive medium, and start polishing. Back and forth, circular motion, don't matter as long as you're even and consistent, what does matter is anytime you have to lift that blade off that paper, raise the edge off first, then the rest of the blade. Otherwise you'll be curling your edge and that's bad. Progress through successively finer grits until you achieve pretty much a mirror polish. Look at the edge with a good magnifying glass, smooth and shiny = good, rough and scratchy = you got more work to do hoss :rolleyes:

-Step 4: Hone. For honing I use a hard black "surgical grade" Arkansas Stone, but an equivalent ceramic would do as well. Here we start getting into technique a bit. Lay the blade flat on the stone and lightly draw it, cutting edge first, using a diagonal stroke that hones the entire length of the edge from heel to tip. Carefully raise the edge off the stone before lifting the blade, turning it over, and repeating the process on the other side. Keep it up until the "wire edge" is gone entirely. Don't be fooled, it's still there, but now it's polished down so tiny you need a magnifying glass to see it. No worries, that's what the strop is for.

-Final Step: Stropping. There's quite a range and variety of strops out there, but perhaps the easiest type for a beginner is the one called a "paddle strop". Follow along and I'll describe how I make these (yes, make 'em, a store bought strop costs as much, if not more than, a good razor). Get a piece of oak or poplar scant board (1/4" thick by 2" wide by whatever length suits you). On both sides, glue (Titebond II) some 8-10 oz. veg tanned cowhide, grain (smooth) side up. Make sure the leather is as flat and smooth as you can get your hands on. Sorry Satori, an old belt might make a fine strop for a khukuri, but not for something you're going to shave your face with :eek: . Now, on one side, using Titebond II, or equivalent, glue a piece of canvas right on top of the leather. The 8 ounce cotton canvas commonly used for painter's drop cloths is perfect for this. Make sure it's stretched out tight and smooth, with no bumps or wrinkles. Once the glue's good and dry, trim all edges off flush with the board using a good sharp knife and a bit of care to leave clean smooth edges.
Your newly made, rigid, "paddle strop", is now ready for dressing. Heat a tea kettle of water good and hot and pour it in your basin (my morning ritual, I fix myself a mug of tea and use the remaining water in the kettle to shave with, two birds, one stone). Work up a good lather with your shaving brush and mug soap, and slather it all over both sides of the strop. Let the lather soak in a bit, then wipe off the excess and let it dry (dries quick, think saddle soap). Neat hunh? Give it another dose and it'll just about be ready. When good and dry, dress the canvas side lightly with a fine abrasive compound like FlexCut Gold or Veritas*, and you're off to the races.
Start on the canvas side, lay the blade flat on it, and use that same diagonal stroke that you used for honing, only now you want to stroke AWAY from the cutting edge. To prevent rolling the edge, you should not lift the blade off the strop during the stropping. How do you do that? Easy, at the end of each stroke you're going to rotate the blade so the edge lifts up off the strop while the spine stays grounded to it, basically the old dog's gonna roll over on it's back until the other side winds up flat against the strop and ready for it's stroke, and so on alternating back and forth. Takes a bit to get the hang of it, but with practice becomes second nature. Finish up on the smooth leather side, and you should be ready to scrape off some whiskers. The canvas side need not be used every time, once the razor's broke in and shaving well the smooth side will suffice, unless the razor starts to drag a bit or show other signs it could use some "freshening up".
*Note: don't have any of them fancy honing compounds I mentioned? Got some Flitz metal polish? Smear a thin, even, coat of it on the canvas side and allow it to dry powdery to the touch. Good to go :thumbup:

There you go Yvsa, about as thorough a treatment as I can give on rejuvenating old rusty straight razors. A bit of work, but well worth the effort. A 100 year old razor can't talk, but if it could, what tales it would tell. ;)

Sarge

Thanks a Million Sarge!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D
There are a few steps there that I wouldn't have taken and may be why I've never been particularly impressed with any old straight razors I've come across.
I've got a few, not quite sure where at the moment, and most are mostly junk but still interesting to look at and wonder.
I've always been amazed and enthralled at the difference in blade thickness and width.
The thickness doesn't seem to vary a whole lot but I've seen razors from a 1/2" wide blade to probably around 7/8 inch!:eek:
The wide ones are always scary looking to me, don't know why as they could all cut to the quick pretty much before anyone could say,
"DON'T!!!!"

Know what you mean about the big ones looking scary Yvsa. I've got a no-kidding Civil War era, horn handled, Wade and Butcher, with a 7/8" wide blade that's got a spine 5/16" thick. Big, heavy, critter, looks like it could take a feller's head off, but it shaves smooth as silk long as you whistle Dixie. ;)

Sarge

p.s.: The two most common sizes for razors are 5/8 and 6/8, 7/8s are for dudes with really heavy beards and 4/8s seem to be mostly used by hair stylists.

edited to add: hang onto that Henckels razor Krull, that company stopped producing razors a while back

Curreently an interesting show on History International.
"Weapons that Made Britian: Longbow.

DaddyDett

Sylvrfalcn said:
Know what you mean about the big ones looking scary Yvsa. I've got a no-kidding Civil War era, horn handled, Wade and Butcher, with a 7/8" wide blade that's got a spine 5/16" thick. Big, heavy, critter, looks like it could take a feller's head off, but it shaves smooth as silk long as you whistle Dixie. ;)

Sarge

p.s.: The two most common sizes for razors are 5/8 and 6/8, 7/8s are for dudes with really heavy beards and 4/8s seem to be mostly used by hair stylists.

This is what happens when I'm reading and think, "I'll get back to this and post later" and then totally forget.:(
Kinda like buyin' a YBB, it's best done at the moment.;) :D

Sarge I sure didn't know the straight razors used that kind of measuring system but it sorta makes sense to me in an odd sort of way.:confused:

I wonder why the 7/8s models are for guys with real heavy beards?
It appears to me that the thinner the razor the closer the shave up to a point but as we know the Old Ones often knew more than we do about certain things just because we no longer use them.

Your 7/8s is considerably thicker than the few I've seen.
It seems they were closer to 1/4" thick but without measuring them I have no way of knowing.
So many things to learn so little time to learn them.:(

I once had a straight razor pulled on me. It was one of those cheap sob's with the replaceable blades but was still intimidating as hell.
My two friends and I were all armed and could have taken the wannabe gang banger without any of us getting hurt too bad but not a one of us was willing to take the chance of getting cut first.
Six or seven inches of cold steel stuck in a fellows gut isn't immediately life threatening and I think we all intrinsically knew that.
One of our better group decisions in not escalating the situation IMO.:thumbup: ;) :cool: :D

Too bad you didn't have/know of a khuk back then Yvsa...a 20' ak might've cooled his jets! :D

The Romans shaved with IRON razors.

This thread makes me appreciate the sharpest thing I own, the Mach 3 by Gillette.

I hate shaving. But 3 days without makes me change my mind every time.

Knew a guy that had to shave his forehead. We called him THG, The Hairy Guy. He wasn't unintelligent; just hirsute.

Karma.

Mike

Back