Recommendation? A cleaning Look

The MANIX 2 is one of my favorite knifes and gets the most carry time of my folders. I am always looking for little tweaks that can be done. My latest brain storm is to get 3 extra clip screws to fill the holes where the clip is not attached. I have checked high and low and even contacted Spyderco. Spyderco thought that was a bad idea as they felt the extra torq on the scales could change the functioning of the knife. Also had concerns the length of the screws could adversely effect the opening and closing of the knife.
I am trying to obtain three Spyderco screws and washers I do not know the size of the screws. Any ideas would be appreciated where the screws can be obtained. Washers are to address the issue of the screws hitting the blade since there will be no clip.

I have thought about the same subject many times over the years.
Really dislike the 4 way clip option with open screw holes at the pivot and washer area.
After market screws or plugs would be a great product.
Another option would be to remove the scales and fill the open unused holes with colored epoxy to match the scales.

FK

Spyderco (and other manufacturers) should think about eliminating tip down carry option so that these screw holes can be gone forever, or produce only a small number of folders with that option. Heck I would suggest on a given knife, making left carry or right carry only, but not both.

A primary example of a screw notch ruining the aesthetics is ZT 0804. That deep notch on the cf scale is just plain ugly.

I'm perfectly happy excluding the tip up children to get rid of the ugly extra clip holes!

Great information. I am now in a position to order some screws from Knife Makers and a major world issue has been solved.

Received the screws from Knife Manufacturers in Minnesota. Received 25, 2-56 screws, and just installed on my Manix 2. Instead of getting the 1/4" I got the shorter 3/16 as the clip will not be installed. The clearance of the blade inside the knife is not an issue. Both scales on the back are screwed to the liners on each side. The screws were snugged up and did not change the centering of the blade. I think the knife looks a little more rugged.

The MANIX 2 is one of my favorite knifes and gets the most carry time of my folders. I am always looking for little tweaks that can be done. My latest brain storm is to get 3 extra clip screws to fill the holes where the clip is not attached. I have checked high and low and even contacted Spyderco. Spyderco thought that was a bad idea as they felt the extra torq on the scales could change the functioning of the knife. Also had concerns the length of the screws could adversely effect the opening and closing of the knife.
I am trying to obtain three Spyderco screws and washers I do not know the size of the screws. Any ideas would be appreciated where the screws can be obtained. Washers are to address the issue of the screws hitting the blade since there will be no clip.
Just get the standard screws and sand them down until they don't protrude past the liners. But yes they are 2-56 button heads screws that you could find at alphaknifesupply or usaknifemaker and sand them down. I actually did this with my Manix before I sold it.

You don't need the washers just shorten the screws lol. A dremel will make quick work of that.

pictures

Spyderco (and other manufacturers) should think about eliminating tip down carry option so that these screw holes can be gone forever, or produce only a small number of folders with that option. Heck I would suggest on a given knife, making left carry or right carry only, but not both.

A primary example of a screw notch ruining the aesthetics is ZT 0804. That deep notch on the cf scale is just plain ugly.

I feel a lot the same about tip up carry, but I know some of you guys like it so its a good compromise imo. Never had screw holes affect anything and if someone really hates them they could always buy aftermarket scales. Or only offer tip down carry. ;)

I did this on one of my manix and I really like the look. I just bought an extra clip from Spyderco and used the extra screws that came with the clip. Clearance is not an issue and didn’t affect the action at all. I would just advise being cautious when doing it. I tried the same thing with the 4v Manix and as I was snugging down one of the screws the head of the screw came off. I haven’t brought myself to try and drill it out yet. This isn’t the first time I’ve had issues with the clip screws. I couldn’t tell you what changed but over the last year it seems like the quality of their clip screws has gone down.

Back