A couple of cool pictures.

The big unvieling: This is a new model from Fletcher Knives. It's called the Hatchula II.

Specs:
OAL: 12"
Blade Length: 6.5"
Blade Width: 2"
Steel: 3/16" thick O-1
Grind: Convex Saber

This particular one is special. It has a convex grind down to a zero edge, no secondary bevel. I will most likely NEVER do this again so please don't ask for it. It's WAY too much of a pain in the ass.

HatchulaII1.jpg

Why is it a pain to do away with the secondary bevel ?

Sweet pics, could have sworn I'd already posted here. I'd like a tray of those myself some day :D I'm loving that ugly duckling...but I'd rather a green handled one :)

Why is it a pain to do away with the secondary bevel ?

Because I'm me. Honestly, I don't have a good answer for this question. I had never done a zero ground convex grind before. I've removed secondary bevels from knives, but never made a knife myself that was destined from the beginning to be a zero grind. It was a learning experience. I couldn't just push that thing against the belt and do it that way. I wanted to make sure that it was awesome so I got the grinds pretty close and then finished the edge by hand with sand paper and strops. Honestly, I still prefer my secondary bevels and I think I'd turn down doing that ever again. It was what the customer wanted and I had never tried it, so I was willing to do it and see if I liked it and wanted to make it a regular thing. I still like it my way. It turned out great and it's cool, but I don't think it really added anything for function and as everyone knows, that's the bottom line for me.

Because I'm me. Honestly, I don't have a good answer for this question. I had never done a zero ground convex grind before. I've removed secondary bevels from knives, but never made a knife myself that was destined from the beginning to be a zero grind. It was a learning experience. I couldn't just push that thing against the belt and do it that way. I wanted to make sure that it was awesome so I got the grinds pretty close and then finished the edge by hand with sand paper and strops. Honestly, I still prefer my secondary bevels and I think I'd turn down doing that ever again. It was what the customer wanted and I had never tried it, so I was willing to do it and see if I liked it and wanted to make it a regular thing. I still like it my way. It turned out great and it's cool, but I don't think it really added anything for function and as everyone knows, that's the bottom line for me.

Cheers buddy.
I'm pretty sure I heard Iz of Turley knives and Matt of ML Knives say much the same thing and not being a knife maker wondered why it would be so hard.

Cheers buddy.
I'm pretty sure I heard Iz of Turley knives and Matt of ML Knives say much the same thing and not being a knife maker wondered why it would be so hard.

When it comes down to it, it's really just a time and effort issue for me. I've heard all these knife users, makers and enthusiasts say that maintaining a true zero grind convex edge is the easiest thing in the world and better than the standard secondary bevel. That's not the case with me. I've spent damn near thirty years perfecting my hand-sharpening skills with stones for the standard secondary bevels we most commonly find on knives. These days, that's the easiest kind of knife for me to make and the easiest edge for me to maintain. Plus, like I said before, I think it's just as strong and just as good as those fancy zero grinds. That's just my opinion though.

I hope that the people that disagree with me understand that I'm not trying to upset them or say that they're wrong. I'm just saying that, in my case, the secondary bevel point of view is correct. Now, what that means as for my making knives, is that I'm going to make what I know I'm good at, and what I'm good at is knives with secondary bevels.

As I wrote that last statement, I could feel some people reading that and saying in their heads, "but Dylan, shouldn't you be ever-expanding you knifemaking abilities and skills? Why would you limit yourself by not perfecting other ways as well?" The answer to that, is because people who try to do everything don't specialize in anything. If you don't narrow your focus at least a little, you never perfect the little details. All I want is to make great knives, not every kind of knife there is.

Back