A couple of observations on throwing hawks

DannyinJapan said:
Munk, you're thoughts on useful tool vs useful weapon are correct.
Heres the thing that many people forget:
People dont throw hawks at wooden targets in combat.
A sharp convexed edge works great when you throw the weapon at a meat and bone target like a man.

Good point, the field points I use on my target arrows are quite a bit different than the broadheads I'd use on live targets. When I referred to thinning down a tomahawk's edge to improve it's ability to stick, I was specifically referring to target applications. Wouldn't be useful for a "live weapon" to stick tight in it's target once it's inflicted it's damage. For that very reason I've always questioned the wisdom of saw toothed spines on some of the so called "combat survival knives" out there. Easy in and easy out is generally the rule.

Sarge

You know Sarge, I have wondered about the sawtooth thing myself.
However, my brother has an 1898 (?) 8mm Mauser with an 18" bayonet that has sawteeth down the back. The sawteeth aim forward (cut on the push stroke)
Honest to God, I dont know how well it would penetrate, but whatever it did to your guts, it wouldnt be good...

DannyinJapan said:
You know Sarge, I have wondered about the sawtooth thing myself.
However, my brother has an 1898 (?) 8mm Mauser with an 18" bayonet that has sawteeth down the back. The sawteeth aim forward (cut on the push stroke)
Honest to God, I dont know how well it would penetrate, but whatever it did to your guts, it wouldnt be good...

Sounds like one of those "pioneer" models. Is this our bayonet?

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/germks98.htm

As far as I can tell, the teeth were included for field work (clearing branches and such) and not so much to maim enemies.

Could be Danny saw one of these big old saw backed "sword bayonets"
http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/sws1914a.htm
This one's Swiss, but the blade length is in the ballpark of the one described. Ugly devil, don't know that it would really work well as either a saw or a bayonet, but have to give 'em props for trying to find ways to lighten the infantryman's load.

Sarge

thats the one!
it fits on that old rifle, so maybe its a swiss rifle....
or, the germans had one just like it in ww1

Looking at it closer, it's designed to cut on the push stroke (teeth are angled forward), so theoretically it ought to extract okay unless it hung up on a rib or something. It would sure make a mess going in. :eek:

Sarge

Santa brought some new bladed toys to our house last week, I thought this would be an appropriate place to share them. The top is my new French throwing hawk; the middle one is a British belt axe for my youngest son (he's no baby, he's almost bigger than me); and the bottom is my old trusty octagon hawk that I mentioned in a previous post. We also got several spare handles because I have this nasty habit of splitting my hawk handles with a throwing knife, which causes them to have short half-lives.

Naturally, I told my sons that the spare handles were beating sticks to be used on unruly teenagers, but I don't think they bought that story. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3 hawks.jpg
    3 hawks.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 37
i've wanted a french 'hawk for a while now, how's it throw? i have a custom made hawk that throws jes' fine that i've had since the early '70's & a cold steel viking hand axe thats not quite so good. (the dane axe in my avatar ain't fer throwin')

almost bought a francisca, but have been informed they don't actually throw very well & are too heavy for camp use, the french hawks look reel purdy tho.

BlueMillieSig.jpg

If they don't want me to eat animals - why do they make them out of MEAT?

It throws very nicely. Due to the added weight, it requires little effort to send it on its way and sticks with great authority. It feels just like throwing in slow motion. :)

raghorn said:
It throws very nicely. Due to the added weight, it requires little effort to send it on its way and sticks with great authority. It feels just like throwing in slow motion. :)

Raggie do you have a source for the French 'Hawk?
I really like the looks of that one and it would make a fine addition to my collection.:thumbup: :D :cool:

Sylvrfalcn said:
I'm guessing that RAGhorn bought it from RAGnar at RAGweed Forge, but just guessing. ;)

www.ragweedforge.com

Sarge

Thanks Sarge. That was so obvious to everyone but me ainnit.:eek: ;)
I need to start thinking of Ragnar first everytime a 'Hawk or Puuko/Lueko comes up.:)

raghorn said:
the middle one is a British belt axe for my youngest son (he's no baby, he's almost bigger than me); and the bottom is my old trusty octagon hawk that I mentioned in a previous post.

That british belt axe looks pretty spiffy. I wonder if he has any of those Viking adz in stock too. Might have to wait until bonus check time....

Back