A couple of questions

I'm looking to buy my first fixed blade knife and have been drooling over the pictures in this forum. The RC-4 blade is a great looking knife but I think I would perfer it stripped of its coating. I have a few questions.

Is it a difficult process?

Does anybody have instructions to follow?

Does it void the warranty?

and most importantly...
How bad of a SNAFU will I make of the knife if I foul it up?

Thanks for you responses in advance and please feel free to post pics!

-Paul

I'm looking to buy my first fixed blade knife and have been drooling over the pictures in this forum. The RC-4 blade is a great looking knife but I think I would perfer it stripped of its coating. I have a few questions.

Is it a difficult process?

Not really.

Does anybody have instructions to follow?

-Disassemble knife

-Put blade into ziplock with paint stripper gel

-Let sit for a few hours

-Scrape coating off blade with plastic spatula or scraper

-sand to desired finish

-Reassemble knife

Does it void the warranty?

No sir, but don't send it in for rust on the blade

and most importantly...
How bad of a SNAFU will I make of the knife if I foul it up?

Tough to screw it up really. Biggest mistake you'd make would be not getting off all the coating and you can just reapply the stripper a few times if need be.

Also, don't use a metal scraper, it'll scratch your blade all up.

Thanks for the quick response and great info. I've never been one for coatings on a blade but I got to tell you that the desert tan is growing on me.

Thanks for the quick response and great info. I've never been one for coatings on a blade but I got to tell you that the desert tan is growing on me.

i dont really like coatings either. but the textured powdercoat on the RC knives is different. it is a stronger coating. better than black oxide and teflon. no matter what you decide to do with your knife your are still gonna like it. :D

I'm thinking I'll use it a while with the coating on just to see if I like it. I can always remove the coating but I can't put it back. BTW I think that I'll use the RC-4 for some hunting duties. Does anyone think that I should consider the RC-3 instead or can the RC-4 do an good job

I stripped my RC3
I left coating under scales to protect the metal, I just held blade in hand,taped up what I did not want stripped off , pour stripper on one side ,let it set for a few minutes and used a razor blade to remove paint, same method other side.... then put on forced patina to protect bare 1095 steel from rust....
does not void warranty

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

Last edited:
Back