1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A couple questions for the ladies

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by smitty0331, Mar 21, 2008.

1. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    That's why I like to shop for presents to give teenages boys. We're on the same page :D

2. kris79usa

kris79usa

Jan 24, 2005
    Hey all, here's my $.02 from another lady who won't leave the house without a knife. I love my knives and use them every chance I get. I work in shipping/receiving at a motorcycle dealership, so I do a lot of cutting of cardboard. I have EDC'd Kershaws (scallions, whirlwind, Storm II), my old Benchmade 730 Ares Axis lock, an Emerson Commander, and a number of other folders. Current EDC is a Busse Game Warden and it'll probably stay that way for a LONG time. I'm starting to grow very fond of sturdy little fixed blades and find myself browsing and dreaming of customs as opposed to production. Anyway......

My recommendation would be right in line with what others have mentionded, an SAK classic, Kershaw Scallion or Leek, perhaps a Spyderco Cricket or Co-Pilot. (Owned and used all of these) One I haven't owned and used but also would consider is a Boker Subcom- there is a fantastic review thread in the Boker forum here.

Small sturdy and high quality - shoot for a good combination of those 3 and I think you'll come up with a good choice for her.

Good Luck!

~Kris

3. johnny reb

johnny reb

Sep 12, 2006
    Some people just don`t carry knives. When I was a kid I bought my father a knife. I never saw it again after that. He still opens bags of dog food with scissors(really funny to watch), or goes to the kitchen for a steak knife.

4. riata

riata Banned BANNED

Dec 3, 2007
    You gave her a knife for an anniversary present? Oh, my. Hopeless.

5. smitty0331

smitty0331

Dec 5, 2006
    Thank you to all the ladies (gents too) who replied. Your advice is very helpfull. If any other ladies want to chime in, it's not to late, I'm checking regularly for new posts. I think I do have to defend myself here though. Here's what happened: One night my wife picked up my latest copy of "Blade" magazine and saw a nice custom folder done in Damascus and abolone. She asked me what was on the steel and I told her about damascus. She commented on how "pretty" it was and said that she would like to have a kn ife like that. At the time she seemed very excited about it, in fact, I havn't seen her get that excited about anything in awhile. So, to make a long story short, I bought her a Case slimlock in mother of pearl and damascus. I couldn't find one in abolone at that time. She was in Chicago on our anniversary, so my daughter and I flew out there to be with her and thats when I gave her the knife, right there in the middle of O'Hare. Anyway, she was very thankfull and gracious, and refused to let me return it to buy her jewelry. My heart was in the right place, but she still won't carry it, she says it's to "fancy".

6. bcornelis

bcornelis

Jan 4, 2007
    My wife wanted a knife a few years back (we hike and backpack together). I ended up buying her a Victorinox SAK climber model which she seems to enjoy and get some use of.

7. reholli

reholli

Jan 28, 2008
    You already have a few recommendations for Kershaw's Scallion. That's also what my wife carries...black handle with combo edge. She's a fan of darker colors and when possible natural materials like wood/burl or mammoth ivory as opposed to color schemes usually stereotyped to women. She's also partial to Damascus...if there was a Damascus Scallion, she'd have one. :D

Ray :)

8. FLYBYU44

FLYBYU44 Banned by Moderators Banned

Jul 8, 2006
    I gave my wife one of those small Leatherman knives with the aluminum handle scales and built in clip/bottle opener. I actually had bought it for my self but decided I didn't like it, so I didn't really care if she liked it or not. She uses it sometimes at home, but won't carry it, she keeps it in her scrapbook supple box. She did use it while I was gone one day and somehow got the folding bottleopener out and couldn't figure out how to get it in again. :)

9. user24

user24

Nov 10, 2006
    my S.O. loves her engraved-scale Victorinox Climber.