A day out.

Today we decided to go to the local show. (Americans would probably recognise this as a county fair in a rural area, the rest of the world can work it out from there ...).

Anyway, I was mostly interested in seeing the heavy horses and the carriage driving events. After this it got a bit boring but the wife wanted to watch the other horse events so I went off and found the beer shed. It was quite pleasant sitting in the shade sipping a cold, frothy liquid and talking weather and assorted bullsh!t with the good old boys. After that I wandered around and looked at tractors and pumps and other stuff.

I get back to the wife who was sitting in the shade under a big tree, (bloody hot day today), just in time to see an exciting impromptu event. One of the stewards was riding his stockhorse around doing stuff when it took a dislike to some of the carriages. We got a bit of exciting rodeo until the horse came over and hit the fence. The bloke came off over the fence but his foot was stuck in the stirrup and the horse was on the other side. Could have become pretty nasty if the horse took off. I jumped the fence and got hold of the horse while a couple of other blokes got his foot out of the stirrup. I met up with a couple of people I know, one had just won supreme champion with his bull so he was pretty happy. After that we left and decided a good time was had by all.

Why am I telling you all this? No reason, just thought I'd tell you about my Sunday. How was yours?

gajinoz said:
just thought I'd tell you about my Sunday. How was yours?

I don't know. It doesn't start for another three hours.

Danged Auzzies -- living before us.

Gollnick said:
Danged Auzzies -- living before us.
Let me look into your future ........................................

I see several new and expensive knives ................. ;)

gajinoz said:
I met up with a couple of people I know, one had just won supreme champion with his bull ...
:confused: Is that something that goes on in these beer sheds?

gajinoz said:

Oh, tomorrow is looking good! Makes me want to go to bed right now!

Ahh memories.. Reminds me of the Katanning show, the Dowerin Field day and the Wagin Woolarama. We used to look forwards to those things for weeks when we were kids. Get excited about all the rides and the games - and the opportunity to chat up shiela's from other towns. I even saw the famous Jimmy Little's boxing tent once. Me and a mate snuck under the back of the tent cos the bloke at the door said we were too young - the smell of all those blokes sweating and burping beer in that hot confined space was too much for us and we bolted for fresh air before we got a chance to see a fight.

Ming65 said:
Ahh memories.. Reminds me of the Katanning show, the Dowerin Field day and the Wagin Woolarama. We used to look forwards to those things for weeks when we were kids. Get excited about all the rides and the games - and the opportunity to chat up shiela's from other towns. I even saw the famous Jimmy Little's boxing tent once. Me and a mate snuck under the back of the tent cos the bloke at the door said we were too young - the smell of all those blokes sweating and burping beer in that hot confined space was too much for us and we bolted for fresh air before we got a chance to see a fight.
Memory lane, a wonderful place. When I was real young they had the tents with the strip shows, extremely tame by today's standards but a little racy in those days. As kids we spent hours developing plans for sneaking into the tent. :)

I don't know if shows aren't what they used to be or I just grew up and they're not so exciting or attractive now. More like a pleasant day out so long as you avoid sideshow alley!

We call them A&P shows here in NZ.
Do you guys call them that too in Australia?

Emanuel said:
Sort of depends a little where you are. In the cities there are all kinds of shows and, once upon a time, it would have been called an agricultural show to distinguish it from anything else. In the country it's just the show, often with the town name prefixing that. Sometimes you also have the rodeo which might be a seperate event or combined with the show. Generally the show is run by the local agricultural society.

gajinoz said:

I once sent new years greetings from one millenium to another, to a friend who lives outside Brisbane.

I thought that was rather extraordinary. It wont happen again for many years.

Emanuel said:

Feild Day, Agricultural show are the most common. Wagin got all trendy and called it's show the 'Woolarama', but then they also built a huge fiberglass sheep just outside their town as well, which probably explains things.

I'm told it is not a good idea to drive into Wagin stoned- that giant sheep is a guaranteed freak out.

Shgeo said:
I once sent new years greetings from one millenium to another

I did that once as well but I think it was the magic mushrooms (I won't tell them about the giant lizard, the poor fools will see it soon enough.........)

Ming65 said:
Feild Day, Agricultural show are the most common.
Around these parts a field day and a show tend to be slightly different in character. You will often see many of the same things there but field days generally tend to focus on displaying equipment, products and services you can buy while the show tends to have it's focus on people showing their horses, cattle, sheep, etc. and the things they have grown or produced.

As I say though, they can sometimes blend together. I personally prefer field days.

Back