1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A decent straight razor

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by GABaus, Mar 3, 2018.

1. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    I have spent some time learning with a low quality straight, and am getting acceptabley good. Any input on a good intermediate level razor?

2. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Are you looking at new, or vintage? Do you handle your own honing, or do you just maintain? That will matter more for vendor than actual blade, but still helpful to give advice.

colin backshall likes this.
  3. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    I do my own honing (the main reason why I went with a cheap one)
    I am currently thinking new.

4. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    As far as I know Dovo, boker, thier issard, Ralf Aust, are all doing good stuff still. I have not looked much recently, but it seems that since the straight razor fad has died down, there isn't as much junk in the actual shaving shops, though one would want to do some review looking as well. SRP would be a better place to go looking for the most current info though.

5. kn4wd

kn4wd

Jan 20, 2014
    buy a vintage straight in good shape, I wouldn't trade any of mine for a new theirs, dovo or boker, I have owned and used all three and wont ever bother with another. the austs as far as I have heard are ok, other three not for me.

strategy9 and David Martin like this.
  6. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    It seems my initial inquiry was not worded clearly. I am familiar with a few brands by reputation, and was wanting some suggestions for a more interesting shape then a 5/8 round point.

7. Blades&Bullets

Blades&Bullets

Oct 28, 2013
    Difficult to suggest a specific shape when you don't knoe the person's exact preferences.
    4/4 Wedge
    13/16 shoulderless hollow
    6/8 full hollow spike
    Etc

8. eneyman

eneyman

Dec 11, 2009
    I've got a beautiful Dovo Solingen tortoise straight used very lightly I would part with if anyone's interested.

9. Loosechange

Loosechange Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Can’t use anymore since the Lahaina kaanapali sugar cane train was scrimshawed onto it but it’s a Dovo and was a great razor till I decided it enough and stopped using it because I didn’t realize when my father purchased it in the 60’sthe handle was ivory F023562A-D775-44A6-980A-D76967D58F85.jpeg 2D03AB12-8B87-472B-94A0-CFCFB3975684.jpeg . I only leather stroped mine and canvas. I had it sharpened professionally

Haven’t used this in over 25 years

10. Loosechange

Jun 20, 2018
    1E809154-D6E3-4B79-B1BD-292F9256BDA0.jpeg BD679F39-FCDC-4C9D-BD26-B8194DD36119.jpeg My only neat pair of clipping scissors.. mostly just for show now I love the
    Patina... it’s a boker and I love the handles

11. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    Those are some nice looking scissors. If you sharpen them yourself then how would you go about sharpening them?

12. Loosechange

Jun 20, 2018
    Hoo hoo fortunately for me I live by the Phoenix knife house and they do it for me .... I’ve never actually sharpened them myself. They are now sitting with my knives in a knife bag

13. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I like my F. Bannister. Not rounded on the end, slightly curved. Visit Gun Shows. DM

14. K Williams

K Williams Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 1998
    The Buck Knives Salient is nice.

20180825_163231.jpg

15. Loosechange

Jun 20, 2018
    I can’t seem to find any info from IMDb or google about the “Twins” in matrix reloaded for name brand the straight razors they use or if they are customs from the prop shop? Anyone know if they are over the counter for stillshots or customs..

16. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Check out whippeddog.com. Larry sells vintage razors at a very good price as well as new razors. I started with a lot from him 4 years ago and still use it. Nothing is cheap, inexpensive, but not cheap.

17. domiro

domiro

Sep 10, 2018
    I would choose German steel like the Boker or Dovo.

18. SV-97

SV-97 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 18, 2016
    I have a (rather high end?) Böker with damasteel Blade and CF handle. There's a cheaper Carbon Steel micarta one (~40€) I'd get if I needed a new one