"A Dog Brothers' Gathering of the Pack" review

Kev

After years of waiting for more Dog Brother material, the day has finally arrived! The Dog Brothers have released "A Dog Brothers' Gathering of the Pack" for $30 + $5 s&h.

After a couple failed attempts to order the tape using the online credit form, I eventually was able to place my order with Cindy Denny via e-mail. I received the tape a week and a half later. I came away pleased with their customer service (one of my pet peeves are mail order companies which wait weeks to ship your order!).

My impression is that this tape is an attempt to provide us rabid Dog Bros fans with a tape to witness the "Gathering" expierence... a success I would say.

The tape includes selected fights from 1994-1999. In the beginning of the tape you see the fighters milling arould talking and warming up. Marc Denny then gives a little speech telling the participants how the DB's are now in their second decade... and expounding on the DB tribal theme.... the fighters should strive to build their fellow tribesmen while guarding against breaking down individual members... thus weakening the tribe as a whole. These fights follow...

Knife vs knife
Dbl knife vs knife
Stick vs stick
4 - stick vs stick fights
Dbl stick vs dbl stick
Stick vs stick
Staff vs staff
Stick vs dbl nunchaku
2 - stick vs stick fights
Dbl stick vs dbl stick
Bokken vs stick (very nice exhibit of skill by Arlan vs the bokken!)
Stick vs stick
Sibat vs sibat (very nice skills by both parties!)
Dbl stick vs dbl stick (See the dreaded stinky stick by Crafty!) 8'o
Stick vs stick
Dbl stick vs dbl stick
Stick vs stick

Marc and Eric talk about 8 minutes.
Eric stresses that the participants prime objective should be to go home and work on mobile power.
Group photos.
Credits.

Running time: 70 minutes (as advertised!)

Wish it would have been a little longer (... can't get enough! :')
But a must buy for DB enthusiasts.... and those of us who just enjoy seeing others getting smacked around! ;')

Rating: 9 stick hickeys outta 10

~Kev

Kev, thanks for the review.
BTW, how was the knife footage?

Smoke,

The knife fights were OK... but they didn't look that different from the knife sparring you'll find in most FMA schools. Alot of movement... respect the opponent's "knife"... target the hand... and the occaisonal attack to the head/torso.
When they had 4 knifers sparring it was kinda cool... occaisonally one would break away afrom his "fight" and blind-side an unwary third-man.

~Kev

Back