A favourite summer hike: Cala Lunga Trail

Hi there! This is one of my favourite summer hikes :). I do it at least one time every year, when on holidays. It’s an easy one, good also for the kids and the trail run just few kilometres behind the summer house. Sometimes, when I’m tired of the beach life :D, I just grab my bag with water, my knife :), a hat, sunglasses, sun-screen and my binoculars and hit this trail for a morning or an afternoon walk. It’s overall a 4 hours hike loop path, with no very steep climbs, but breathtaking views out on the sea :thumbup:. It’s also possible to MTB on the trails. In summertime, during the day, it’s very hot (in open sun easily 42-45° C) but still bearable, due to the winds blowing constantly. It’s strictly forbidden to light up any type of fire in the natural reserve and to pick up or touch whatever, so not really a camping site and not a proper place to play with knives :thumbdn:. Worth to look at, along the way, beside the scenery landscape, it’s the flora and the birds. Some mammals are possible to spot at sunset. Just to share :)!

The vegetation that insists on the more than five thousand hectares of this natural reserve is affected by the lithological composition and geomorphology of the area. Especially in the nicest part of the park, where the karstic landscape is predominant, low shrubs, grasses and other bushy plants live, typical of a hot, arid climate, low in nutrients.

The geomorphology of the terrain, characterized by stone outcrops with a few centimetres of soil (typically red), gives a suggestive appearance to the location, where also some rare species of plants and shrubs can be found, together with more common ones. The Centaurea horrida is endemic of northern Sardinia, like the Limonium Nymphaeus, also endemic of the northern coasts of the island. Other interesting plant species are the Astragalus terraccianoi, the Genista sardoa and the Genista Corsica.

In this karst landscape also the Stachys glutinosa can be found, together with the sea lily (Pancratium illyricum), Silene nodulosa, the geranium (Erodium corsicum), wild fennel (Seseli Praecox Gamisans), Galium schmidii Arrigoni, Bellium bellidioides, the wild garlic (Allium parciflorum), different safflowers (Romulea requienii, Crocus minimus), Arum pictum and the dark green nettle (Urtica atrovirens).

343m1sj.jpg

a4ofg3.jpg

2heyo10.jpg

35lu9g6.jpg

Moving away from the coast, the landscape becomes more typically Mediterranean shrub, with the appearance of the typical plants, like juniper (Juniperus phoenicea), mastic (Pistacia lentiscus), mock privet (Phyllirea angustifolia), wild olive (Olea europea), spurge (Euphorbia dendroides, Euphorbia characias) and dwarf palms (Chamaerops humilis). The latter can, in some ways, be elected as a flagship species given its the abundance and distribution in this area :).

11boq5w.jpg

2primhu.jpg

30ske95.jpg

21d1lbc.jpg

Very significant and fascinating the vegetation that creep on the walls of the rocky cliffs. Here we find the samphire (crithmum maritimum), the Camphorosma monspeliaca, the groundsel (Senecio leucanthemifolius) and the Mesembriantemum nodiflorum, the sea kale (Brassica insularis), Tree Mallow (Lavatera maritima), Aleppo rue (Ruta chalepensis), wild leek (Allium ampeloprasum) and the Matthiola tricuspidata.

2pyrthv.jpg

bzi0y.jpg

fk5o5h.jpg

4tribt.jpg

23suomr.jpg

Inside the cavities of rocks, in the sun shade, not directly hit by the sunshine, the Polypodium Southern can be found, together with the Ceterach officinarum and also the yellow daffodil (Narcissus bertolonii). In the rocky plains, the Helicrisum microphyllum, the Thymelaea tartonraira L. and euphorbia Balearic (Euphorbia pithyusa) are growing. On the sunny plains it can be found the Dorycnium pentaphyllum, the red rock rose (Cistus incanus, Cistus salvifolius), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) and asphodel (Asphodelus microcarpus).

Among the forest formations that characterize the hills, still some oaks (Quercus ilex) remain and an undergrowth of mock privet, strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo), holly (Couscous aculeatus), wild asparagus (Asparagus acutifolius, Asparagus albus) and the Cyclamen repandum. The geographical distribution of the different plant species is affected by the prevailing winds, the mistral and the south-west wind (Libeccio).

One of the most characteristic species of the peninsula is certainly represented by the griffon vulture (Gyps fulvus), a large vulture, with impressive wingspan, considered among the biggest living in Italy. Unfortunately, this species is threatened with extinction. Only about ten couples have been surveyed living in this coastal area. The couples are hatching only one egg and their survival is also threatened due to the fact that the griffins feed on carcasses of animals not as common as they were in the past decades. So inside the park, in the forest, there is a "charnel house" constantly replenished of animal carcasses by the Rangers, to food griffins. They are not easy to spot. I had the luck to spot one only once, several years ago :p.

Far more common (and not at risk of extinction) are the colonies of Calonectris diomedea, Puffinus puffinus and the European storm petrel (Hydrobates pelagicus). Also is easily spotted the European Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis desmarestii) and the seagulls (Larus audounii). Above the cliffs overlooking the sea, this time I spotted the peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus) :thumbup:. Possible to observe also the wild pigeons (Columbia livia), the common buzzard (Buteo buteo), the barn owl (Tyto alba Ernesti) and the raven (Corvus corax). There are also various species of swifts and sparrows, like the partridge (Barbary Partridge), the Sardinian warbler (Sylvia melanocephala), the Dartford warbler (Sylvia undata), the bunting (Emberiza cirlus) and wren (Troglodytes troglodytes). Among the species which can be observed in high bush and forest there is the chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs), the tits (Parus caeruleus, Parus major). Recently spotted the Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus wolterstorffi) and the spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopus major).

5trla0.jpg

As far as mammals, in the reserve there is the wild boar (Sus scrofa), the weasel (Mustela nivalis), the fallow deer (Dama dama) and the fox (Vulpes vulpes). Within the state forest ‘s Noah's Ark project, about thirty years ago, horses and donkeys have been re-introduced. When lucky it’s possible to see few tortoises (Testudo hermanni, Testudo marginata).

Some other pics from the trail :D.

vxevsg.jpg

288xj06.jpg

307x6qv.jpg

2hqff38.jpg

bfq8pf.jpg

2q23kaf.jpg

21eaqok.jpg

2w5ohua.jpg

2cz52tl.jpg

345bp7a.jpg

wuoyf8.jpg

52fczq.jpg

t70h1s.jpg

1zpk3v5.jpg

34zj2aw.jpg

bi04tv.jpg

jsyjo1.jpg

fkr1py.jpg

2m4ac5u.jpg

4rb3ep.jpg

2eanvaq.jpg

2lash8m.jpg

30mo506.jpg

2dt14yc.jpg

qn1s0g.jpg

jkul3o.jpg

About the towers pictured here, interesting to know :) is in the second half of 1500 AD, the coast was still exposed to attacks and raids from Saracens. So, from the end of 1500 AD, the Crown of Spain devised a plan for coastal defence, by building up a ring of watchtowers and defence towers. They are strategically placed to view each other, to allow a system of sighting and reporting.

Thank you for your pictures and thread :)
I've been on the same path more than once, Always in winter though, and on foot. It's very close to where I live, and the scenery is indeed beautiful.

:cool:

Hi. Thank you all for your appreciation. Happy you liked the post and the place :)

Back