A few Curley Cues

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Hey guys, I forged a few more of these things this week. Whatcha think?

20120104104_5015-vi.jpg

So the first step was to grind the blank to shape and drill it.

20120104104_5006-vi.jpg

Then I start forging the curley cue from that extra 'tail' that was left at the butt of the knife.

20120104104_5009-vi.jpg

20120104104_5010-vi.jpg

20120104104_5011-vi.jpg

20120104104_5012-vi.jpg

Once its all forged to shape, I go at it with a tiny ball peen hammer to texture it some. I did 4 on that morning.

20120104104_5014-vi.jpg

The Woodsman is the top blank.

20120104104_5015-vi.jpg

This is the plank of Bloodwood.

20120104104_5018-vi.jpg

This is all the pieces necessary to make the handle scales.

20120104104_5020-vi.jpg

Thats as far as I've gotten. I'll post more pics as I get further along. Any tips or suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

So fly. I really like that you are doing more of these. My spending hand is itchy. This is gonna hurt...

And the hot metal has tempted you. The forging is only beginning. She is a wicked devil, and she wants your soul.
Dan

Andy, those are really cool. I would love to see one of those in person one of these days. :)

nice Andy! you gonna add these to your line up? BTW, did I ask if you ever thought about crafting a Nessie Neck blade?

What purpose (if any, not that it needs one, looks great) does the curly cue serve? Flint and steel striker? Lanyard attachment? Curious. . .
And, yes, I want one - the Woodsman, please.

Last edited:
I love this new direction Andy! I think I need to start saving because I definitely want one like this! Looking forward to the progress!!

Man, thanks guys. IMO, the curley cue is purely decorative. Its not sharp enough to strike a firesteel. You could use it for a lanyard, but I'm still putting in the bullseye tube. I'm going to add it in as a feature. I can do it on knives with square-ish back ends.

I just can't see forging taking over much of my business. I'm kinda shocked its as popular an activity as it is really. I like that the forge makes the shop nice and toasty though.

The Woodsman is being donated to the GA Knifemakers Guild. The rest will come available soon.

I really like the way it looks, I'm glad you are doing more of them. I think I am going to wait on the saber Hiking Buddy and save for a Recluse like this with micarta scales for my everyday knife when teaching classes. It is unique and will be a good conversation piece as well as fun to show off on some of the British forums I frequent :) .

I also think it's something different and unique that has style. I really like them.

I'm still waiting to see some user pics of the first one you did. Should be wearing some nice pants now too. ;):p

I was just kidding about calling dibs on the hunter. I have one already, and in case you hadn't heard, it's Capital Badass.

Back