A few questions about the "Veteran's Commemorative Set"

I was told this is called the Veteran's Commemorative set. Is that correct? All three knives are numbered and matching.

I'm a little concerned because the knives just sit on a piece of foam and when closed, the glass pushes down on the knives to hold them.
For anybody else that has this set, does that sound normal? Will the glass constantly pushing on the knives cause any damage? Just seems like a strange setup but any other similar sets I've seen look to have the same green foam and wood box.

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting set. Does the box have any branding? Please take a photo of the knives numbering.

Interesting set. Does the box have any branding? Please take a photo of the knives numbering.

The other sets I've seen just come with a small Camillus paper card that sits in the case with the knives. This was is missing that. Will try to add photos of the numbers.
For these types of sets, is it normal for the glass to push against the knives to keep them in place?

Its the first one I’ve seen. My first thought was it wasn’t a factory set. Googling it shows other identical sets with just the foam. Exactly like yours. But with a little brochure or pamphlet.

It’s probably not worth more than the knives in it. Especially if there are no sheaths.

The glass pushing the knives keeps them place when you hang it. Otherwise, they'd have to be glued to the backing.

I agree, they'd look better on some velvet. But that would be slick. You couldn't hang the box....unless things are hot glued.

Its the first one I’ve seen. My first thought was it wasn’t a factory set. Googling it shows other identical sets with just the foam. Exactly like yours. But with a little brochure or pamphlet.

It’s probably not worth more than the knives in it. Especially if there are no sheaths.

Yeah, figured it wasn't worth a ton.

For other Camillus sets, does the glass press against the knives? I don't ever really buy collector's knives and it seems like the glass pressing against them wouldn't good but maybe I'm overthinking it and that's how these sets are designed.

From the very first glance I had the impression that this set was made not at the Camillus factory.
Camillus sets always had the brand name on the box or glass, and the knives were always fixed in their places. "The glass pushes down on the knives to hold them" - is an unprofessional approach.
As a result of a short search on the Internet, I found a photo of a brochure from the same set and everything became clear to me (almost).
Camillus-War-Veterans-Set.jpg

I don’t know what kind of company Cutlery World is, but they even wrote the names of the knives differently from what Camillus himself called them.
To determine the extent of Camillus' involvement in this project, I would like to see photos of the numbers on the knives. In addition, the Utility (camp) knife should have the year of manufacture on it - this is also interesting.

P.S. : CUTLERY WORLD OF AMERICA, INC. - https://apps.sos.wv.gov/business/corporations/organization.aspx?org=121327
Not interested

Last edited:
Sorry, just seeing these responses.

The utility knife is dated 1989.

I much prefer this style of set to others I've seen. I've never been interested in "special edition" or commemorative sets because of how gaudy the inscriptions and engravings look. I like the simplicity of this one.

I'm guessing they just got Camillus knives, engraved them with the same numbers and put them in a display case.

Back