A Folder To Back Cut With?

Wow guys, thanx for all the info!

Just a few notes back at ya':
Quarterstaff- I would consider a balisong, except they're illegal to carry concealed here in Oregon.

Sing- Yes indeed, ultimately the Mad Max may be the way to go. First I need to find $600.

Raptor- I do have a Scimitar and really like it, but I wouldn't trust it for a back cut.

Chinook Lovers- Yeah, I'm definitely going to look into one of these. Oh and Steve, thanx for those beautiful pictures! I hope your Chinook is stainless, I'd hate to see it get rusted from the splash from the picture above yours.

Ken- A sharpened back edge is illegal to carry concealed in Oregon as it constitutes a double edge. Of course it may be a matter of interpretation whether or not a folder clipped to your pocket is considered concealed. But I'd hate to go to court to find out.

Burke- A fixed blade is a part of my standard carry. Right now I alternate between two Cold Steel knives, either a Bush Ranger or a Carbon V Kobun Tanto. Carl Sonntag, a maker here in Eugene, is making me an 8" bladed Bowie with fighting guards which will become my regular carry when it's done.

Megaton- The back cut has a long and honorable history in knife and sword use. If you'd like to know more about it, check out Jim Keatings material at Comtech.

------------------
All you need is love... a sharp blade and a full clip

Oops, double post.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tonie (edited 04-07-2001).]

I love my Chinook too!!! You might want to take a look at the temperance by Spyderco when it comes out too...

Guntaholic-

The Spyderco wish list includes Chinook, Ayoob, Vesuvius, Temperance, Gunting and- "that really funny looking one I can't remember the name of", oh yeah Shabaria.

If the new Compression Lock is that good, I'm hoping it gets applied to the Military and maybe even to a Military Jr. ?

------------------

I think it's insane to backcut with a folder, but the REKAT Pocket Hobbit was born for this. Otherwise, yeah, Chinook.

Shmackey- Actually I tend to agree with you, I don't necessarily think of the back cut with a folder as a deliberate action, more of a reflexive one. At least this is how it occurs when I'm flailing and scampering around the back porch when I'm training. So I think it's a legitimate concern.

As for the Pocket Hobbit, that is indeed on my "to buy" list. I had one of the old original models with the lever on the front and I really loved it. But three things prompted me to sell it. First, the main spring broke as I was practicing inertial openings with it. REKAT replaced it for free. Second the blade developed a lot of lot of play real fast, I'm again assuming due to the inertial openings. Finally, I became concerned with the possibility of it being considered double edged when setting in my pocket.

Here in Oregon, double edged knives are illegal to conceal. Whether or not the serrated back constitutes a double edge and whether or not being clipped inside my pocket would be considered concealed might seem like matters of interpretation. But there's a little clause in the Oregon law regarding concealed carry which says "...or any other similar object.".

Although I don't have any sort of criminal record, and haven't even had a traffic ticket for several years, I decided that it just wasn't sorth the potential risk to carry the Folding Hobbit.

A final reason I probably won't buy a FH for back cutting is my previous experience with the REKAT Rolling Lock on my Sifu. It folds up more often then not, and that with only the tiniest fraction of the force one would use in combat.

Oh, and by the way, when I sold the FH, it was to a friend to whom I fully explained the history of problems with the knife. But he did not want it as a tactical knife, just something to play with around the house. Before I took any money for it, or handed it over to him, I made sure that he understood everything about that particular knife. I've even checked back with him a couple of times and he is just as happy with it as can be.

------------------

I'm very surprised that your Sifu folds when it shouldn't. I've checked out my brother's Sifu and it's solid as a rock.

I'm a huge supported of BM's Axis lock, and I think the Rolling Lock is a close second. Make it smoother to close, make it ambidextrous, and, most important, make it so that the blade stays in the handle like a lockback--not a liner lock--and you have a winner. And you'd also have an Axis lock.

So how are you testing it? Are you ripping with the tip, or just banging the back against the edge of a table or counter? I can bang the Sifu against a table edge all day and it holds just fine. It's when I rip into my cutting bag with the back of the tip that it folds.

I've handled a lot of BM's but have never really felt they offered any better ergonomics than Spyderco. And about the only blade shape BM produces that I like is the Pardue clip point, I just don't seem to have much of a hankerin' for those spear point blades.

------------------

Tonie,

Have you looked at the Bencmade 710?

It has a nice recure and a nice clip point.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

I've only done the standard spine whack stuff. Never into a cutting bag. I'm surpised there's a difference, though.

I don't prefer BM's ergonomics over Spyderco--just the awesome Axis lock. I'm sure the 710, as suggested, would put up with the backcut, but I don't think you'd want to sharpen that false edge--no handle protection.

Back