A fresh button lock is coming on Jan. 10th🔥

Knife Assembling
A fresh button lock is coming for you,do you know what knife it is?
2YxGS2g.jpg

U2F5Y2A.jpg

kQBtyit.jpg

ZCr6zyf.jpg

Button locks are great until they jam. I have had no trouble with my Cogent, but there have been reports on reddit of jammed buttons in Civivi knives.

Yes, one of my 3 Cogent attempts jammed, in addition to the insane lock stick.

Yes, one of my 3 Cogent attempts jammed, in addition to the insane lock stick.

I feel like lock stick is more of an issue when present in liner or frame locks. Here, it doesn't bother me. It means a little resistance to pressing the button and that's fine. I have inadvertently disengaged button locks a couple of times in the past but not with a Civivi. Is it really a problem to have pressure build slightly and break with a "ting" when I press the button? 🤷‍♂️

Button locks are great until they jam. I have had no trouble with my Cogent, but there have been reports on reddit of jammed buttons in Civivi knives.

Tell me more about this. Is it a result of pocket lint or something else getting into the mechanism or behind the button? Does it always happen the same way or can it happen different ways? Has anyone run experiments on this?

The market exploding with button locks from different companies has been interesting. I'm doing what I can to explore but I'm just one guy with an EDC rotation that is just too large. 😜

Overall, I prefer liner and frame locks and those are what my hand wants to reach for by default. I like button locks better than Axis-style locks as alternatives that keep my finger out of the blade path. Of course, accidents with liner or frame locks are almost rare enough to be negligible for me. A bigger benefit to these alternatives is avoiding hot spots in the lock bar access zone. It's pretty common with liner and frame locks, especially with design choices that jimp the lock bar and have it extend past the scale like little teeth... 😮

I have CIVIVI and WE button locks without lock-stick and it’s great. It sucks when it’s there. I’m not talking a little resistance either.

Another downside to button locks is how thick the handle has to be to accommodate the stuff. And, in general, I dislike springs in my knives.

Tell me more about this. Is it a result of pocket lint or something else getting into the mechanism or behind the button? Does it always happen the same way or can it happen different ways? Has anyone run experiments on this?
I have never had a button jam on any of my knives. But my wife bought an inexpensive knife (I don't recall the brand) that jammed after about a month of light use. That is, pushing down on the button to try to release the lock failed to budge the button. Lubrication and heat did not help. I took it apart and after I removed the scale, the button popped free. There was no lint or other contamination. I chamfered the rather sharp edges on the bottom of the button, added some Nano #85 in the button hole, put it back together (which was not easy), and the knife has been fine ever since. My wife uses it frequently.

Well, I like button locks. So there!

Back