A friend I'd forgotten: My rediscovered Burgundy Caly Jr

As I removed various sundries from my safe tonight, in preparation for tomorrow morning's range session, I fumbled through the lockable ammo box at the top of the safe for a particular magazine and laid hands on something different. Something...FRN.

I removed said object from the dark recesses of the back of my safe, and lo and behold, it was a burgundy zdp189 caly jr! I'd entirely forgotten I owned this little clipit. Sticking to my SOP, I thumbed the knife open and gave the edge a cursory perpendicular thumb drag. Decent, but nothing to get excited about.

Out came the white sharpmaker stick and the green loaded strop. A few strokes on each, less the 3 minutes, and another thumb drag. "Eh", I thought to myself, "doesn't feel as sharp as the sebbie in my pocket." What the heck, I thought, lets see if it'll shave.

BAM! Hairs come flying off my forearm like brush in D.R. field mower commercial! This thing went from 2.5 years in the safe to hair flinging sharp in 2 minutes flat! ZDP189 is an enigmatically cool steel.

The geometry of the caly jr doesn't need any extra praise from this author. The scalpel like flat grind and efficient leaf shape continue to impress. This is the perfect knife for discrete usage. The burgundy handled razor doesn't get the flock of sheeple bleating quite like a large micarta sebbie.

Thanks for a great knife Sal; I think I'm more impressed now than I was when I purchased it. :thumbup:

:D

I never got one of the burgundy models despite trying very hard. I was a little too late. That scarred me for life! :rolleyes: I made it up with the regular models and other sprints using ZDP. I have 3 Caly jr's still NIB, 3 jess horns, extra caly 3 ZDP, 4 blue delicas, 3 BRG enduras. Not to mention the mighty but sublime stretch 2. I have enough ZDP to last the rest of my life.

I still want another stretch 2, and a BRG ZDP PE Endura for future use. I really like ZDP. Joe

BlondieAlmostEdge - Thats a sweet little knife to "rediscover". the black version was one of my first spydies and I still love using it. It's like getting a new knife, without spending money.:D
I agree with you regarding the edge, geometry, etc....PERFECT.

I have the burgandy caly jr zdp as well and find it it be a nice knife for edc as I am not a fan of larger edc knives. I've lost this knife twice now out my property when the clip got caught on something and pulled it from my pocket. One time it spent a week under the snow pack and I had to use a metal detector to find it once the snow melted. Thought for sure it would be rusted but it was fine though I cleaned and oiled it just to be safe.

Do they still make the caly jr?

How much bigger is the caly III than the jr?

Thanks

That's awesome. I used to have a couple of gray VG-10 Calypso Jr.'s. Man do I miss 'em. I regret I let those sweeties go. Glad you found a cool blade sitting somewhere. That's even better than finding money in your pocket you forgot about. :)

Do they still make the caly jr?

How much bigger is the caly III than the jr?

Thanks

No they do not make the Caly Jr anymore. Sal once said that the last sprint run (black FRN w/ZDP) was the last time they would be made, but he is pretty accomodating to all us knife knuts, so... you never say never.;):D

The CalyIII handle is about the same length, just a tiny bit more curvy, for slightly better ergos. The blade is about 1/8 inch longer with a little more belly than the Caly Jr.
Size difference, see bad pic:
Caly-CalyJr.jpg

Its really not that small, but feels so light in hand. A great little knife.

Back