A Friend of mine just hit Six Months sober!

Pretty cool, eh?

I'm very proud to know him.

(back to your regularly scheduled programming.)

Good stuff! Money might make the world go round, but friends keep it from tipping over. :D :thumbup:

Sarge

Very Cool.
There's enough friends around here to make our own HI 12 step program.

munk

uhhh... Congrats?

I bet he has a great support group, and is lucky to have a friend like you, Kis.

Mike
Ad Astra :D :foot:

"Drinking is the damndest thing, the damndest thing I say. If you're the kind of guy who really wants to do it right, you don't get to do it at all."

- A quote from Ed Know

munk

I think I know that guy Kis is talking about. Damn fine guy! Hell, one time i knocked off the coffee for whole religious 40 days and 40 nights thing some sects of Christianity do around Easter;) Well, i lasted about 6 days then caved and went back to my sinful ways. God? Satan?..Joe has his iron grip on me.
Congrats friend:)
We are all so very proud to know you.
Jake

Mike?

The guy made a choice. He continues to make one everydamnedday. Support groups are fine, but HE made the decision and continues to live by it.

Class act.

I stopped drinking around 4 years ago. I always loved to drink and didn't like to drink just a little. I wasn't a drunk but I didn't like the stress of wanting to have more to drink, so I just quit completely one day. I don't miss it really. I might drink sometime again or I might not...probably not.

One person I admire greatly, the late physicist Richard Feynmann, was going to have a drink because he felt like one, when he realized that it was really a habit he had going on there, and all at once he decided to just stop the habit and he never drank again. I kinda felt that way too when I stopped.

I have never really had a craving for booze. I make beer and drink beer at parties but I have been known to have good beer people left from parties in my fridge for six months or more. Cocaine, hard drugs never really cared for them. Probably the 2 things I have done more compulsively than any have been pot and coffee. However as my life has got busier I don't have the time to be stoned like I used to when I didn't have a farm. I still like it though:thumbup: Also because I do have the farm and work I have a tendency to overdo the coffee, but since I hate to let anything have a hold over me once a year, usually after kidding season is over I wean myself totally off caffiene, then drink a little green tea till kidding season hits again and I hit the coffee hard cause I'm chronically sleep deprived then.

That is great about your pal. I know one guy now who is an alcoholic and is a totally sweet guy, but he is so dependant that he has a seizure if he doesn't have just the right amount to keep his "jones" going.

I have another friend who I really worry about. He's a chronic pot smoker which doesn't really hurt him too much other than financially, but he also smokes 3 plus packs of cigarettes a day and has since he was about 15. He told me at one point he and his wife were smoking $400 bucks worth of cigarettes a month and 100 bucks worth of weed. That's a house payment! I am really worried about my friend cause I'm afraid he'll get lung cancer. He really lives a poor life financially even though he has a decent job cause he still smokes like 100 bucks of cigs. He also drinks 2 beers a night. One day we added up all his vices and he was spending $160 a month for his various stuff.

Good for him Kismet:thumbup: Please pass on my congratulations.

I've drank on and off for years. Never to the point where I couldn't function, never got behind the wheel, but did it effect my life in bad ways? You betcha. I quit for 2 years awhile back.(and for two years a few more years back) Then started up. Socially for awhile. Only on one weekend day a week. Then 2, then 4 days a week. Then all of them.

I just quit again on Oct. 24th. I hope to go the distance this time.

Congrats to (y)our friend Kis. He's one of the good guys. I can't imagine how hard it must be to stop.

MauiRob, keep it up bud. You can do it.

Steve

Back