A.G. Russell Acies 2 -- first impressions

flash900

Platinum Member
The Acies2 -- that's the correct style -- is a beautiful, pocket-size version of the original Acies frame lock. The larger-size Acies is sold-out and discontinued.

Here is the new model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42I6TU_qc6Y

It features:

-- A 2.99 inch drop point blade made of Japanese ZDP 189 steel. The original has a 3 5/8 inch blade.

-- Ti handle, open pillar construction and deep-pocket clip.

-- Hinderer stabilizer.

-- Angled, dual thumb studs and jimping on the spine.

-- Closed length is a compact 3 3/4 inches and weight is listed at 2.9 oz.

The original Acies is beautiful but big -- about the size of a large Sebenza and too large for me to comfortably pocket-carry.

Acies2 is easier to EDC and, at $295, is easier on your wallet than the Acies, which was $385 when available. These are street prices -- A.G. Russell does not discount.

Acies2 is about the size and weight of a small Sebenza. I prefer the aesthetics and the wider blade of Acies2.

My brand new Acies2 is smooth opening and closing, but not quite as smooth as the Sebenza. Like the first Acies, 2 needed a bit of break-in and Tuf Glide lubricant. After that, it opens and closely easily, one-handed.

And like the original, 2 comes with a shiny pocket clip to match the polished blade. I would prefer a darker clip to match the handles.

Acies2 feels great in my hand. The size and ergos are just about perfect.

This is an exciting and beautiful design, one that is likely to become more popular than the original. I look forward to using it -- and showing it off!

A.G. the man is to be congratulated for this latest design.

Last edited:
Thanks for the head-up. I didn't know these where out yet. I was on the A. G. Russell site a couple of days ago and did not see it. Excuse me while I go chase down my wallet - it's running from me...yet again. Mike

Pity they didn't change the pocket clip design which seemed to be the one thing most people didn't like on the original.

Pity they didn't change the pocket clip design which seemed to be the one thing most people didn't like on the original.

I agree and thats why I had my Acies beadblasted. The clip is now muted and provides good resistance from sliding out of the pocket.

DSC_0697.jpg

Cool.....I'm guessing since they are ZDP-189 and USA made Kershaw built these as well. Nice looking knife. I like the smaller size.

I agree and thats why I had my Acies beadblasted. The clip is now muted and provides good resistance from sliding out of the pocket.

DSC_0697.jpg

Beautiful! Some details please about how you did it.

Thank god the pocket clip can't be switched....I'd have to start thinking about buying one then.

What is the edge like? Is it a good slicer or is the edge on the thick side with a shoulder behind the edge?I ask this because I do not want to have to reprofile ZDP189! Also, I like to use knives of this size and do small wood/whittling projects and just prefer a thinner edge.Thanks for any info you can give me. I really like this knife and like your bead blasted clip.
RKH

RKH,
Can't speak to whittling but the edge is thin and sharp enough to cut like a scalpel!

One other thing: the clip is indeed deep-pocket and the folder really hides in your pockeet. The website says it comes tip-down but mine came tip up and that feels just right.

For those lucky enough to have the original, this feels just like a perfectly shrunken version of the first Acies. And that's good!

Flash900, thanks for the reply. I am going to order one monday. BTW, If the Acies2 cuts like a scapel it will do what ever I need.
RKH

Thanks capid1. Sounds like a pretty good edge thickness. I just do not want to reprofile ZDP189 if I can help it.
RKH

Just an update to the fine folks here that I just got off the phone with A G Russell company and my new Acies2 should be here Wednesday. Real excited about this knife. Thanks to everyone here for the help in making up my mind.
RKH

Sweet! Be sure to put up a post on your thoughts and such as I'm interested in a smaller one as well. Thanks!

Back