A.G. Russell & S.O.G.

I just ordered an SOG Tomcat II from A.G. Russell a few days ago, and they just called to say it's on backorder :grumpy:

Does anybody who has had some experience with this know how long stuff tends to remain on backorder. I'm trying to decide whether to try and get my money back and just order it from another firm.

SOG's back order status has been spotty. They're often quick, but sometimes...well, you know.

Many companies don't want to have a surplus of product at the end of a year (something about paying taxes). I can only imaging that distributors and manufacturers alike want low inventory ending December. I can't say this is the reason, but a possibility.

I can say that the big distributors (like AG) gets knives quicker than others.

I can say, the Tomcat is certainly worth the wait...and AG is a great company to support.

Ron Andersen said:
SOG's back order status has been spotty. They're often quick, but sometimes...well, you know.

Many companies don't want to have a surplus of product at the end of a year (something about paying taxes). I can only imaging that distributors and manufacturers alike want low inventory ending December. I can't say this is the reason, but a possibility.

I can say that the big distributors (like AG) gets knives quicker than others.

I can say, the Tomcat is certainly worth the wait...and AG is a great company to support.

Wouldn't they want to reduce inventory at the endo of the fiscal year?

I can't wait for my tomcat. Anyone know anything about the sheath/pouch thingy that comes with it?

I'm not an accountant/bookkeeper, but know that a fiscal year doesn't always match a calendar year. I can say that the "bean counters" at SOG were strongly concerned with December 31st regarding the maintaining of low inventory. So, either SOG's fiscal year surrounds the calendar year or there is another reason for them to monitor the "true" end of year.

The knife is worth the wait. Just hang in there.

Regarding the pouch, it's been changed over the years and I can't say what they now have. It has always come in a black nylon, dual mounting (horizontal and vertical) pouch. What has changed is the material and manufacturing. For years, there was a well made nicely textured sheath that worked wonderfully. In recent years, they chose to streamline things and use the utilitarian sheath used for the PowerPliers for the Tomcat. It is a more simply looking sheath. I don't' know if that's what's currently being used, but as of a couple years ago, it was. Both are functional, because no one really wants to carry a Tomcat in their pocket.

Hope this helps.

Back