1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A GEC in the Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by BRL, Apr 8, 2012.

1. BRL

BRL

Apr 27, 2011
    Friday the Wife and I hit the Canyon.

18 months ago we did a Rim-Rim-Rim in two days... appx 53 trail miles, +/- a vertical mile down and a vertical mile back up. It was September, so the bottom of the Canyon was 100F-plus. I was grinning at the end of it and felt like a million bucks.

That was then. This is now. I trained for this particular sumbich by doing one 40-minute hike a week ago and spending the last 18 months since our previous GC trip eating ridiculous amounts of Mexican food and drinking vast quantities of beer. Hell, lunch on the Thursday before the trip was fried pork intestines and rice. I was, as they say, underprepared :D

Because of this, I figured I would just go halfway down to Indian Gardens. Wife, who works out every day and has great discipline with regard to diet, kept going while I lolled under a cottonwood tree for an hour before beginning my meander back up. 3000 vertical feet, 4.5 trail miles. Didn't actually hurt that much, which has turned my hike preparation world upside down! We're doing a big hike in Tucson in May and I'm thinking Xbox and twinkies to prepare.

So anyway, pics.

Me 'n Wife getting ready to hit the trail. Pretty chilly.
    [​IMG]

There is a deer (or elk, or moose, or whatever... don't ask me, I'm no taxidermist) in this picture. I did not leap on it, skin it, and eat it like I'm sure every other patch-bearing WSS would have done. In fact, me 'n Wife talked to them in baby talk while they looked at us with a serious lack of interest.
    [​IMG]

Heading down to appx the center of this photo:
    [​IMG]

The flat part between the steep and Indian Gardens. Not my favorite part of the hike as it gets no wind and tends to bake a bit. Quite warm by now. At least they did a great job fixing up this part of the Bright Angel trail, which used to be beat to heck.
    [​IMG]

Knife content! Great Eastern Cutlery's bullnosed work knife, aka their variant on the sodbuster, which I'm kinda loving right now. I took a nap leaning up against this tree.
    [​IMG]

This is sadly quite true.
    [​IMG]

Ooooh.
    [​IMG]

Aaaah.
    [​IMG]

This is gonna hurt.
    [​IMG]

Ouch. Here's the switchbacks up.
    [​IMG]

This is a cliff. It's quite cliffy.
    [​IMG]

Left of the frame near the top. Getting late, getting cold, feeling okay but kinda wishing at this point that my rear didn't weigh quite as much as it did!
    [​IMG]

Right of the frame, then out and to the bar! A dozen hot wings and a Stout, then I was right as rain.
    [​IMG]

The Grand Canyon is something else. Been in it a bunch of times, and truly feel that every human being needs to experience it at some point. Hope everyone can get there and get down in it.

2. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    pretty!

I have been to the 'Canyon...but never In it. It's impressive for Sure!

LOL, ''xbox and twinkies''

if thats ''training'' then Im ready for the Boston Marathon! right now! ;)

3. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    Awesome!

4. crossada

crossada

May 16, 2004
    That was a great hike review and pics.

5. bigjuice

bigjuice

May 8, 2004
    Great pics, beautiful out there. Been there in the winter when it was snowing, wild place.

6. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Beautiful. Definitely on my to do list.

7. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Great photos

thanks for posting

8. totallynotalex

totallynotalex

Apr 14, 2009
    Nice pics man, that bullnose is a great knife!

9. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    Thanks for sharing the pics. One of these days I will need to make my way there.

10. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Aaarrgghh...looking at a Moose pattern GEC over the weekend. You're not making it easy on my wallet. :D

11. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    That was great! You and I seam to train the same way!

12. johnny twoshoes

johnny twoshoes

Feb 3, 2011
    Great pics and great to see your liking your Bull Nose.

Those look like Mule Deer to me. :thumbup:

13. Shadow213

Shadow213

Jan 5, 2005
    Awesome pics of a beautiful, but dangerous place if a person isn't careful. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Grand Canyon is definitely on my bucket list. :D Hell, I may just move out to Arizona once my daughter graduates high school.....

14. bdmicarta

bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    The GC is an awesome place. I went there in the early 1980's with my brother in law and his friend. We backpacked down the Grandview trail and followed the Tonto trail for 3 days. I camped at Indian Gardens and came back up the Bright Angel trail, they went on to the Hermit trail and came up a day later. I was young but not in good shape, they were. I was at the north rim in 1988 and did a lot of bicycling there. I went back in the early 90's and after doing a lot of bicycling for 10 years I was in good shape, hiked down the Kaibab trail to Phantom Ranch and back up the Bright Angel trail. It took about an hour to get down, about 3 hours back up. I've been there 3 other times just to visit from the south rim.

15. Sagewood

Sagewood KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Great pics man. I did a Rim-River-Rim hike back in Feb 2010. Down South Kaibab, stayed at Bright Angel campground, and then back out through Indian Gardens up the Bright Angel trail. That last bit of the hike out is a tough one!

16. bdmicarta

bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    In 1988 we went to a ranger talk and they had all of the statistics of the fastest people to go up and down the trails and/or across the canyon. It is incredible how fast people can go down to the bottom and up the other side, in just a matter of a few hours. When I was coming up the Bright Angel trail in the early 80's I met a group of guys wearing tennis shoes, running shorts, and wearing gloves. They were RUNNING down and back up. I asked what the gloves were for, they said they were to protect their hands when they would trip.

When I was 30, out of shape and carrying a 50 pound pack, it was pretty tough. When I was 40, in good shape and just carrying water, it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't want to try it today.

17. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    I have to visit the Grand Canyon before i die. I absolutely have to.

And give you wife a pat on the back from me, for pushing on with the hike. She's sounds like a hardcore hiker :thumbup:

18. BRL

BRL

Apr 27, 2011
    Glad yall enjoyed the post. Get your asses to the Canyon.

19. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you for showing this. That´s a place I´d like visit ... before I get old ...

Kind regards
    Andi