A German Army Knife - winner announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
For the best part of ten years, from the early 1980's to the early 1990's, I carried a Mauser Officers' Knife, and I still carry the same knife from time to time today. If I'm going camping, it's a knife I always take with me. The Mauser was a commercial variant of the folder issued to troops of what was once West Germany, and later to Germany as it is today. Knives were made for the German Army by a number of manufacturers, but the design is the same. In my opinion, it is an excellent SAK-style design, with a particularly useful, but minimalist selection of tools. The large Spearpoint is a very versatile blade, and next to it, pivoting from the same end, is a saw and combination tool. The saw is very efficient and capable of quickly cutting through quite large branches. It is covered by a guard, which I think is an important safety feature. The corners of the guard can also be used on small screws. The combination tool will open both cans and bottles, and it also features a chunky screwdriver. The awl or punch is one of the best I've used, and the corkscrew is certainly something I've also used a lot. Personally I like a corkscrew on a SAK, but if you have no use for one, you can at least park one of the mini eyeglass screwdrivers here. All in all, a great well-designed knife in my opinion, and a good solid tool that should serve you for many years. It's also a piece of history.

Anyway, with my 10,000 post milestone approaching, I want to give a few knives away to you good folks here, and the first is this German Army Knife, made by the Spanish cutler Aitor. It's a nice example of the pattern I think, and in mint unused condition. My apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, for the sake of convenience they're taken with the camera on my IPad, and for the sake of me not getting drenched on this miserable British day, they're also taken on my kitchen table.

Just say 'I'm in' to enter, and it's open to anyone anywhere, with over 20 posts in Traditionals. Post as many times as you like, but your first post is your entry number. I'll draw a winner in some way in a couple of weeks and initiate another giveaway.

Good luck everyone, please enter, and thanks for all your kindness, help, advice, shared knowledge, generosity of spirit, and patience.

Jack

Last edited:
I'm in.

A great choice for a give away Jack! :thumbup::)

I just won a knife and maybe my luck has changed for the better. :D

When I saw this one, a certain "friend" came to mind, so if I am lucky again, you can send this one to me and I will see he gets it. ;)

Very generous of you!

I'm in, just had to check my traditional post count. Thank you for the opportunity Jack.

May I ask what exactly is in the bottom photo? edit: Nevermind that's the guard you mentioned

Very nice gesture Jack, not a entry as you have already equipped me with a variant of the GAK, it offers great utility in a thin package, has all the same tools as the Vic Rucksack but with only two layers.

Pete

Fantastic giveaway Jack!

Not an entry. I'll step aside this time as I can't imagine myself carrying it and someone who really wants it should get the chance.

10,000 posts. Astonishing.

Good luck to all those that enter!

Paul

I would like an entry. My grandfather lived in italy during the war. the german soldiers would frequently stop food trucks from coming into their town, so to get food, he and my uncle (rip) would steal food from the german supply trucks. my granpa would distract the driver, while my uncle would open up the back and try to pull as much food out as he could before the truck drove away.
he told me he once got a food truck driver to come into his house, and my great grandmother got the guy super drunk. they used to make whine, which was more liquor than whine. it was pretty much grape moonshine, lol. so the driver was plastered and passed out. after he was passed out, my granpa told me that he stole the guys knife. idk if it was a knife like this or not, as he said he lost it on the boat ride from italy to ellis island and he was still pretty young.
they stole about 3/4 of the truck load, and hid it in their cellar. they set up the back of the truck to look like it was still full.
after they left, they distributed the food to the rest of the town and everyone ate pretty good for a few days.
they never did get caught, because if the soldier said anything, he would have gotten in alot of trouble himself.

NOT an entry, as I have a couple of mine up FS, LOL. Just a thank-you for a great GAW on a very little known knife, from what I can tell. The only Aitor I've seen was a 'loose' interpretation of this, but not at all a Bundeswehr marked GAK. I did see one other maker at a show, but the quality was clearly not Victorinox, so I passed it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back