A Gold Frame Lockback WIP

Wolfe,
Really enjoy seeing some of the steps in the making of your beautiful knives. Thanks for posting this.:thumbup:

Where do you get the special shaped files to do all that intricate work if I might ask?

Thanks,
Darcy:)

The files are die sinkers rifflers. Some of these I use as purchased, but most are custom ground to fit my working method. They are getting harder to find because most of the die work is now done by CNC machines. Some of the jewelry suppliers still have them available. I pick mine up in Europe during my trips there, they are easier to find in Germany and Switzerland.

Thank you for the WIP
Describe please the measures taken to contain and reclaim/reuse the gold filings.
Is ZERO waste your goal?

Trying to catch the filings makes the job more awkward and time consuming since my shop is not set up for it. Depending on the time permitted to complete a project, I reclaim more or less of the waste.
I can always buy more gold, but not time.

The files are die sinkers rifflers. Some of these I use as purchased, but most are custom ground to fit my working method. They are getting harder to find because most of the die work is now done by CNC machines. Some of the jewelry suppliers still have them available. I pick mine up in Europe during my trips there, they are easier to find in Germany and Switzerland.

Thanks much.

I thought I had a pretty good collection of files! Then you posted that pic. I see now what a fool I was!:D

Darcy

In the old days when caps for teeth were made of gold, a friendcwho made them said there was a specialty vacuum they used to reclaim scap gold.

I still have those files you sent, Wolf. They've seen some use, they'll see more

Trying to catch the filings makes the job more awkward and time consuming since my shop is not set up for it. Depending on the time permitted to complete a project, I reclaim more or less of the waste.
I can always buy more gold, but not time.

Would be fun to collect machine debris and let a young nephew or neighbor kid pan the gold out of it

Inspirational Wolfe. Could I ask how the inlays are secured in their pockets ? Internal screws , pushed in bezels , solder for the metal bits ?

On a scale of 1-10 defining handmade, this would be a nine. (Only if you ground out the metal with your teeth could it get any higher.) ;) LOL!.

If he had made the steel as if in a Wootz process, it would be a 10.

That said - this is very inspirational. Thanks for allowing us to come along. :thumbup::thumbup:

The inlay pockets are formed by first drilling out with a series of closely spaced holes, using a depth stop on a drill press. The holes are then connected with a carbide burr. Then files are used to work the pocket to final outline. I will try to document the process with the gold handled knife to follow the current project.

thank you for the detail. I can envision it, now. I appreciate it a lot!

Simply jaw-dropping. Amazing work, I appreciate you taking the time to share your WIP pics.

This is really amazing to see such a masterpiece come together.
Thank you for taking us along on your journey and for your time.
Your work and knives are impeccable.
Respect

Stunning work Wolfe!! I appreciate the time you took to document and share your process. Thank you for sharing.

Chris

Wow:thumbup::thumbup:

I don't see where you hide the makers mark, not that it's really needed. Your work is readily identifiable from across the street! I am sure it's on there somewhere, inside maybe?

Thanks for posting.

Darcy:)

Back