A good book to start me off in FMA

I'm looking into FMA but there's no training anywhere near my location.I know I can't really learn a martial art from a book but I can get an idea of techniques and some of the exercises that are required.
What good books are there out there.Any time I look up kali books I get the god.

For general over-views of the FMA"s:

Take a look at "Filipino Fighting Arts", by Mark Wiley. Wiley receives his share of criticism from the Serrada community, but FFA does not address that topic and is (to me) a fair appraisal of over a dozen FMA's (each one receives a chapter in the book). "Filipino Martial Culture" is a good follow-up, as is "Arnis," both by Wiley.

Rey Galang's "Warrior Arts of the Philipines" is worth a look at. Note that Wiley and Galang focus on two different organizations that teach San Miguel Eskrima: Wiley profiles Tom Bisio's organization; Galang profiles Ramon Rubia and, by extension, Doce Pares Multi-Style.

Finally, "Cebuano Eskrima: Beyond the Myth" is a good introduction to the eskrima of the Vasayan region. I have a problem with one small section of the book, but the overall themes presented have a lot of value.

Best,

Steve

Filipino Martial Arts by Dan Inosanto (out of print, but not impossible to get)

Modern Arnis by Remy Presas

Secrets of Cabales Serrada Escrima

Masters of the Blade by Reynaldo S. Galang

Try Videos/DVD's for stuff to begin to follow along with.

I found the books more helpful after I had some serious training under my belt. Maybe a video would be more helpful?

I like anything by Marc Denny.

I'd like to second anything by Rey Galang, as well as the "Cebuano Eskrima" by Napangue and Macachor. "Kalis Ilustrisimo" by Christopher Ricketts and Tony Diego is also good.

I'm looking into FMA but there's no training anywhere near my location.I know I can't really learn a martial art from a book but I can get an idea of techniques and some of the exercises that are required.
What good books are there out there.Any time I look up kali books I get the god.

Nicely illiustrated with easy to follow instructions would include;

The Secrets of Arnis- By Edgar Sulite
Modern Arnis Stickfighting (Pink Book)- By Remy Amador Presas
Arnis Presas Style and Balisong- by Ernesto A. Presas

For Supplemental reading;

Filipino Martial Culture-
Filipino Fighting Arts-
by Mark V. Wiley

Moro Swords- by Robert Cato

The Healing Hands of Hilot-Filipino Therapeutic Massage
by Virgil J. Mayor Apostol

Good luck and have fun!

Matador-

Last edited:
Ernesto Presas has about 5 books out and all are all good:

Arnis Prasas Style & Balisong (already mentioned on the thread)
Modern Mano Mano
Filipino Police Combative Techniques
Filipino Armas de Mano
Filipino Knife Fighting

I'd also suggest Professor Remy Presas older book "Practical Art of Eskrima" that is being made available again by his family.

All the best,

Pete Kautz
http://alliancemartialarts.com
http://modernknives.com

Some vids:
http://sayoc.com/
If you get some knowledge..Books/Vids set up a practice area and work on it some is intuitive
You can use duffel Bags
Hoohla Hoops
Rope-standing/Hanging in a circle [like in a Phone Booth/Tight Area]
Use Hard wood Sticks from Home Depot and rebar Iron for weight or Pipe with end Caps and fill with what ever.
The time working is more important than a Dojo or gym.
In the home country no/Not allowed schools, All was in the back yard or in the field.
You can get the moves but you have to have an a partner or more than one to make it real world.

Back