A good knife for salt water usage

First post nailed it. I'd go with any Spyderco Salt that you think will work for you and a nice kydex rig to carry it.

I grinded down my Pac Salt to a very sharp pointy tip. It is now a rust proof Endura 3!

I take them fishing, took it kayaking, beach multiple times on holiday in Thailand and Hawaii....

Get some Salts!

Like everybody has said ~~ there is no better than a Spyderco Salt H1 if you want the ""BEST""..!!**

Best is subjective. David Boye has been offering his rust proof cobalt knives longer than Spyderco. They are pricier but probably not worth the cost increase when you're taking into account the very few times you will ever need to test its performance in terms of cutting. Both will be rust proof, one is mass produced and one is by a much smaller company.

Last edited:
Let me be the first to recommend the Spyderco H1 salt series !

1234,,,:D

I have a Tasman Salt SE that I use frequently and have an Autonomy (the new auto) on preorder, H1, especially in Spyderedge (serrated) is really a phenomenal cutter. All of the Salts are light for their size since they have no liners and are basically just a blade, FRN handle and clip (titanium), once they break in they are very smooth openers too.

If you want to stay with Benchmade, the 111 H2o is nice if you want an Axis folder. I have one.

The Cobalt listed above is a great fixed blade but cost is high. Buddy has one. real happy with it.

To lower your cost I would suggest......

Spyderco Enuff with the salt blade.

Jeez, I hated to say that. Not a big fan of Spyderco.

H1 can rust...
Mission knives titanium will NEVER rust :D

Yes but not practical nor inexpensive. The dude surfs and is not defusing undersea mines. In such cases, the Italian SF use Fox Knives Military Division Stealth Carbon Titanium fixed blade. "The blade is manufactured using an inner core blank of BETA Titanium with external layers of Carbon Fiber that are bonded together using special resins in a vacuum process. The end result is a blade that is very flexible with minimal vibration. The Titanium and Carbon Fiber are completely non-magnetic and rust resistant and are ideal components for EOD and diving purposes. The handle is made from FORPRENE material, a special industrial grade elastopolymer that we are using in all of our FKMD knives. The handle screws are in anodized aluminum."

This is what the Boye knives look like. Mine is dendritic 440C cast steel. Still pretty damn rust resistant and a lot tougher that the cobalt:

image.jpg

Other than a line of titanium bladed combat fixed knives for diving Fox Knives Military Division uses mostly Bohler N690Co (HRC 58-60) for their normal inexpensive diving knives.

They also make some killer diving knives in N690Co which with special coatings go way beyond. The Fox Tecnoreef uses N690Co with PVD & Idroglider (special non stick coating made of PTFE that ensures long life and rust resistance) coatings. Both knife and sheath were submerged in the Persian Gulf for 60 days and did not rust or deteriorate.

fox_tecnoreef.jpg

...Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Thanks NaturalMystic happy to be here. From the little bit of the forums that I've already perused I've learned a ton. Payday is in a couple days and it looks like something from the Spyde Salt series may be my next knife purchase. Although I did think my first Spyderco was going to be a Paramilitary 2.

You're welcome! The PM 2 is also an amazing folder and one I'd definitely keep on the short list. It sounds like an H1 blade is the priority right now though. As others have mentioned, I'd get something with full serrations (Spyder Edge) as it cuts better, stays sharp longer and will make short work of cutting your board leash in an emergency. You should also consider the Spyderco Sharpmaker for sharpening your knives. It comes with a DVD showing how to use it and there are lots of YouTube videos on it also. Sharpening serrations are a breeze on it too.

Thanks NaturalMystic happy to be here. From the little bit of the forums that I've already perused I've learned a ton. Payday is in a couple days and it looks like something from the Spyde Salt series may be my next knife purchase. Although I did think my first Spyderco was going to be a Paramilitary 2.

I didn't finish reading all the replies before my last post on this forum. After I hit the Post Quick Reply button I saw this pic on the thread and it did strike my fancy. I looked it up and the price is right. It just looks as though it doesn't come with a sheath so I would have to get one made.

I didn't finish reading all the replies before my last post on this forum. After I hit the Post Quick Reply button I saw this pic on the thread and it did strike my fancy. I looked it up and the price is right. It just looks as though it doesn't come with a sheath so I would have to get one made.

The Fox TecnoReef (468) comes with a sheath! Call or email Fox Knives USA.

Fox Knives TecnoReef 468 diving knife: http://www.fkmdknives.com/n/en/product/469/fox_tecnoreef.html

FOX KNIVES USA
9918 162nd Street Ct. E. - Suite 14 - Puyallup, WA 98375
Phone 253-845-5550
Email: sales@foxknivesusa.com

sheath.jpg

fox_tecnoreef.jpg

Last edited:
Not to go against the grain or anything, the H1 Salt series are great knives as are Boye Cobalt knives.

However, if you want a Benchmade that's not a folder:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/110H2O

I have one of these clipped to my PFD for when we got salmon fishing and it's great. It's light, compact and the perfect blade shape for any waterborne use. There's nothing wrong with N680 as long as you rinse it after being in the water, no big deal.

Not to go against the grain or anything, the H1 Salt series are great knives as are Boye Cobalt knives.

I have one of these clipped to my PFD for when we got salmon fishing and it's great. It's light, compact and the perfect blade shape for any waterborne use. There's nothing wrong with N680 as long as you rinse it after being in the water, no big deal.

Actually, N680 is great against salt water. Problem with the Benchmade N680 fixed blades is the restricted blade shape.

Here's how Bohler described N680: "A conventional corrosion resistant steel with added chromium, molybdenum, and nitrogen for corrosion and pitting resistance, especially in salt water."

Nuts, I forgot about the 110H2o in my post above about the Benchmade 111H2o. My bad.

Back