A Good Thing To Do

The next time you are at a place where there's
someone ringing a bell for the Salvation Army,
please consider getting them a coffee and a snack to eat.
They're not just do-gooders, they're our brothers and sisters.

Salvation Army is about the only place I donate to. Talking with some of the bell-ringers has been pretty eye-opening; some of those folks have been through a lot in their lives. Every one of the bell ringers I've talked to have been really humble, and grateful to even be there doing their job.

I'll take your advice next time I see one. :thumbup: :)

~Chris

Salvation Army is about the only place I donate to. Talking with some of the bell-ringers has been pretty eye-opening; some of those folks have been through a lot in their lives. Every one of the bell ringers I've talked to have been really humble, and grateful to even be there doing their job.

I'll take your advice next time I see one. :thumbup: :)

~Chris

:thumbup: They are one of the very few charities that actually use the money to help people instead of paying the CEO a 6 figure salary.

Even if it's my last dollar in my pocket, I always put some money in the lil red buckets.

I like the Salvation Army because very little of what they collect goes to overhead costs. I think that less than 15% goes to overhead.

Ric

Did this last week (donated at Sam's Club). I will remember the snack idea next time I see one. :thumbup:

The next time you are at a place where there's
someone ringing a bell for the Salvation Army,
please consider getting them a coffee and a snack to eat.
They're not just do-gooders, they're our brothers and sisters.
When Mrs. Rev and I went grocery shopping in the afternoon, I remember this thread and did just that. Hot cocoa for the bell ringer and a few bucks in the bucket. :thumbup:

I second all of this. I've seen the Salvation Army at work in my community and they really walk the walk, you know what I mean. Housing refugees one time, Friday night programs for street kids, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for whoever shows up (and a daily lunch program 365). The people who run it (a "captain", usually a husband and wife family team, sometimes with their own kids) make very little in the way of a salary but they always seem happy about what they're doing. I always make sure I have something to put in the kettle this time of year, no matter how many bell ringers (and standing around in the cold up here is not easy :) )

Last edited:
Never thought of a snack or warm drink, great idea. Everytime I go into a store I tell them I'll get you on the way out and I drop my change from the purchase in their bucket, always make at least a dollar.
My little brother is ringing the bell tomorrow for school, as its required to do 8 hours of community service to graduate at my local high school. Salvation army is one of the only ones my family trusts. You can actually see where your money goes in the local community, these other services you don't know what or who the money is going to. With this country anymore I can only assume it lines some rich person's pockets.

Back