1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

A happy day out with Amar Singh Thapa

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by JayGoliath, Aug 22, 2010.

1. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Mr Singh had been making a lot of noise so it's time for him to eat some wood.
    I took a dead log the size of about 10inch in diameter to test.

Excuse me for the bad cell phone pics as i left my dig.camera back home.
    [​IMG]

About 50 chops with both right and left hand (ASTK weights at 36Oz ,18" OAL), with a glove on, i heard a cracking noise.( Notice the darkened line beneath the log)
    [​IMG]

Then I think i angered someone as it's trying to wiggle itself out quick
    [​IMG]

I left the grub alone and went for another log. Within a minute i checked and he was gone. A hole was visible so i continue to chuck on.The Paracord i made was very helpful to keep my grip intact.(i tied it the way Lofty Wiseman recommended and so far the khuk hasn't turn into a boomerang)

BAM! The lower part of the log was softer due to moisture and it went down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr Gelbu decided to tag on with Pala's new suit but his show won't be available for now.He wants a better photo session.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr Singh is very happy today as i finally found his "sweet spot".No Homo.:D

2. stickfred

stickfred

Nov 6, 2009
    Looks good there JayGoliath. Mr. Sing seems to enjoy his work. Anticipating Mr. Gelbu's tryout. Keep 'em coming.

3. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    Good work Mr. Singh, you made short work out of that log and have sped up the process of decay so that the forest may grow again. :D

It is always typical that the pretty boy winds up as a supervisor, leaving the heavy work to the less privileged. Typical Mr. Gelbu, Typical...

4. moogoogaidan

moogoogaidan

Feb 21, 2009
    Hah! Good stuff.

I'm glad that the ASTK is up to taking down such large logs! I haven't put my ASTK through such paces yet. I dunno, ever since I got my BC/GRS, with its super wide blade and fat belly, i've kind of looked at my slim-profiled ASTK like it was a Streisand. Maybe i'm short selling its chopping ability.

5. alexs

alexs

Nov 26, 2009
    Do those pictures remind anyone of "Predator" or is it just me? I can almost hear the music in the background... But all will be well with your trusty ASTK at your side.

6. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great work and pix, thank you for sharing

7. 7rip13a

7rip13a

Jul 2, 2009
    Mmm, definitely. Hell, I can hear a chittering sound... Oh wait, it's just the crows outside.;)

Glad to see the ASTK can hold its own. Definitely interested in the Gelbu special though; I wonder how Pala's unique handle will go.

8. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    The path to the jungle is raw & creepy. Since it's approaching evening inside a palm oil plantation and with plenty of monkeys and insects (i was told if i go a bit further up the hill i might see hogs/ wild boars), i want to chop and leave quick.

I asked for "permission" before going in. It has always been a jungle law in Asia.
    Once you are in you just felt in peace.

I hope to use ASTK more in the future. The aching wrist and shoulder means Mr Singh been fun.

That's a good one, Warty.;). But Mr Singh's not less privileged. He's my ZOMBIE KILLA !
    Now Mr Gelbu. Are you ready?

9. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Jay,

Its been a long time since I was in Panang but I never got to go in the jungle. Its looks fantastic! Also good to see the ASTK worked well for you. With its long slender blade, it looks like it would be great in the jungle, but it also really held its own with the heavy chopping.

Bill
    Virginia

10. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Bill,

When was that?

Cotherion and I will bring you around if you are in town.

I'm tempting to try stabbing with it. The sheer weight with the profile feels like hammer+khuk. Could i have use the wrong force?

The jungle in Borneo are way better for study.
    Recently i just made a new friend whose main interest is Nepenthes plant.
    He shown me this - Dracula/Fanged Nepenthes

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepenthes_bicalcarata

Nasty-looking plant.

On the cho-less Gelbu.
    It feels extremely lively on hand.Sanded the corners of the handle and it feels very ergo.
    Pala knows very well about the grip.

Very much looking forward to work with him.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  11. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Jay,

I was in Panang in late 1985 or 1986, it was a port of call for our West-PAC float. We got off the ship and there was a gran-prix race in the town that day. We had a ball! We met a rickshaw driver and gave him a ton of money and he took a few of us around the city all week. (I think he cryed when we left!) We asked to see "real" local treasures, not tourist places. He brought us to some temples and we ate at some of his favorite local roadside "restaurants." I loved it.

We couldn't go an any of the planned trips because there was a terrorism alert. Back then we didn't even know what terrorism was! It stunk though, I had booked several jungle trips in Thailand and Malaysia but had to cancel. I was really dying to get in those jungles. Someday!

Wow, that is a mean looking plant!
    Bill
    Virginia

12. mohd

mohd

Jun 3, 1999
    Hi Jay! When you let me know about the ASTK review, I wasn't worry much about the ASTK but I was worry more about you :D It's good that it's a 10" diameter dead log otherwise you might need a real good massage to your hand :D Looks like the ASTK bit real well and he has a strong sharp teeth huh!

Great short review! Thanks to share the experience :thumbup:

Hi Bill! IMHO what you mentioned as terrorism alert in Malaysian jungle in 1985 or 1986 is actually referring to The Communist Insurgency War alert. It was an insurgency and guerrilla war, conducted by the Malayan Communist Party (MCP) against Malaysian armed forces from 1968 to 1989.

And Jay, I'm looking forward to read your another two reviews on Gelbu Special and Pala Rehandle! For your info Gelbu Special is one of my favorite khuk :) Let me know son ;)

mohd

13. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Pak

Apa Khabar? Less than a half a month we are gonna celebrate Raya again!

I'm alright Pak.Relationships with Mr Singh's getting better.
    Thanks for asking.

Wasn't it the same time tons of Gurkha armies were sent to Malaya?

It's the same thing Pak! Pala took a Dil-made Gelbu and rehandled it with walnut wood and reinforced it with rivets. The cho-less construction means it's very strong and lively on hand.Plenty sharp!

[​IMG]

Pala's smiling happily to his fav. khuk.:D

Ramadhan Mubarak to you!