A Joyful Package on a Special Day!!

You have drawn into a tie with us on grandkids, but you have a commanding lead on cutlery.

Nice mess of funny lookin foreign knives! I confess that I’m attracted to those two with the fat sheep foot blades.

My 5th grandchild was born today, and all is well!! Mom and Baby are fine!:)

Auspiciously, the Mail gave birth today also; a package from my dear Parisian/Italian friend!!:cool:View attachment 1541476 View attachment 1541477 View attachment 1541478 View attachment 1541479 View attachment 1541480

Thanks everyone!! I will pass along your kind words to the parents!!
Don't know his hair color yet Duncan!!
At 10lb5oz, I'll have to ask him politely what color hair he's going to grow!!:cool:
His name is Declan!!:D

Big congratulations, Charlie!! Declan is a great name!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great batch of fine cutlery as well!:thumbsup:

I've been hunting around for a translation for "Le Galvacher"!
Either my poor searching skills, or a quirk of language (colloquialism?) prevents my understanding of the term! Any help??:rolleyes:View attachment 1544539 View attachment 1544540

@Âchillepattada ?
@Jolipapa?
LOL
It is amazing that your question comes a few days after the MPs voted a law to protect local languages (some important like Basque, some much less).
Galvacher is Morvandiau colloquial, Autun is the capital of this part of Burgundy, famous for wines, also for the Charolais beef.
In many patois, instead of saying " Le" (the), it is said "L' ".
Boy in French is "Gars", Cowboy "Vacher".
So "Le gars le vacher" becomes "L'Gal'vacher". :)
Accents tend to disappear, in this video the second guy (a farmer) to speak is typical.

A few "pets" ;)

Last edited:
So it is colloquial; the bane of Wikipedia!!
Thanks for the explanation, JP!!:thumbsup:
Your welcome Charlie.
I knew that Mr Encyclopedia Jolipapa would have the clear and perfect explanation. :):thumbsup:

Â
The James site was very useful. ;)
During XIXth century, Galvachers would leave home from may til november and hire themselves with a pair of Morvan oxes to tow timber on their carts, as far as Belgian Ardennes. (there was a tradition of floating timber in Morvan and North Burgundy).
Galvacher.jpg
(picture © Lemasson's book)

Last edited:
This thread ran away to page 11 😲, so I thought I would bring you all an update , and thank you for the kind words of congrats!!
Here are the boys! Too bad Stew is not here, but I will remind the young'uns of him in time!!
Here's Duncan with wee Declan!!
Gingers 1.jpg
Dave and his boys!!
Gingers 2.jpg
Great Grandpa Stew!! R.I.P.
Stew 2.jpg
Knife content! This unique Barlow arrived here on the same day as Declan!!
Declan Barlow 1.jpg

Back