1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

A knife for a friend and mentor.

Discussion in 'Knife Maker's Gallery' started by J. Oeser, Jun 6, 2012.

1. J. Oeser

J. Oeser

May 13, 2009
    After making my first few slip joints, I showed one to my friend and mentor David Lang. He was so impressed he asked me to make him one. You can imagine my surprise and how honored I felt. I gladly agreed.

Dave moved into my neighborhood the same time my parents did back when I wasn't even 1 year old yet. I have known him my whole life and have memories of going to his shop as a kid and watching him grind on steel. Last August when I decided I wanted to try my hand at making knives I worked up the courage to ask him if he could teach me the ropes. He has taught and continues to teach me most of what I know in knifemaking. I have barely scratched the surface of his wealth of knowledge. He never did get into making slip joints very much so he asked me to make this one. It is black linen over white G-10 and natural canvas. I kept the handle thin on this one and gave it a high polish which I normally don't do on micarta shadow patterns. It's .103" thick CPM 154 CM and measures 3 3/4" closed.

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smitty44

smitty44

Dec 31, 2006
    I'm sure he will be proud of you,and the beautiful knife,great job,thanks for sharing.

Ret. Chief Smith

3. Gody

Gody

Jul 20, 2011
    Wait, ..what? You´ve only been making knives since last August? I cant believe that you are able to turn out pieces like this, nice bushcrafters and beautiful leatherwork. Your learning curve is about as steep as Sears Towers.
    I completely understand why your mentor asked you to build him a knife. Anyone would be proud of carrying it.

A few weeks ago, I actually dreamt one night that I had moved to a new town (and country appearently). I was thrilled to discover that my new neigbour was (and this is completely true) no other than J. Oeser. Even more strange was that Johnny Mac lived just across the street. Sadly, this is when I woke up and discovered I was still in Sweden.

Brian

4. J. Oeser

J. Oeser

May 13, 2009
    Brian, thanks for the kind words. Yeah, last year in June I bought. 1x42 Kalamazoo to sharpen with. Then I did a little experimenting on some old knives and ground them up. By August I wanted to give it a serious try. Everything has just kind of come together since.

5. trevytrev

trevytrev

May 4, 2010
    Some people were just meant to do certain things in life, you are obviously meant to make knives bro! Artistry in knives..

6. Gody

Gody

Jul 20, 2011
    That seems to be a bit of an understatement.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully we will see more of your work soon.

Brian

7. Calvin Richardson

Calvin Richardson

Oct 13, 2011
    Love it. I've only been making knive for about a year myself, but you are wayyyy ahead of me.

8. Core Knife Co.

Core Knife Co.

Apr 8, 2009
    I really like the knife and the I love the gesture. After hearing the story of how he's known you since you were just a baby, I can only imagine the pride he has in you. That piece of steel and micarta is going to mean a lot to Mr. Lang. A lot more than the sum of it's parts.

9. Dan Pierson

Dan Pierson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 24, 2003
    Micheal's got it. That knife is going to be very valued for what you represent.

10. Hawk45

Hawk45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Very nice design.. looks great!

11. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    He must be a great teacher,that knife is outstanding!:thumbup::cool:

12. Geode

Geode

May 12, 2001
    Jared,

Your skills are amazing for such a short time at the craft.

13. RobCamlin

RobCamlin

Jul 18, 2012
    For the amount of time that you've been at it, that knife is incredible. Hell, for any craftsman, that knife is incredible. The fit and finish just looks unreal. Awesome job Jared, anyone would be proud to carry that. As others have said, given the backstory, it's sure to be a most prized possession to Mr. Lang and a glaring example of your skill and appreciation of what he has taught you.

14. chris609

chris609

Oct 6, 2003
    Wonderful knife nice and clean.

15. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl

May 22, 2002
    Great knife. Heirloom quality stuff. You're making stuff that will be passed down from one generation to the next.
    That one will be named in a will someday.
    " my custom J.Oeser goes to ...................."

16. J. Oeser

J. Oeser

May 13, 2009
    Wow, thanks guys. I am truly humbled by your comments.

17. Willem O'Kelly

Willem O'Kelly

Jan 24, 2011
    Jared, it's been said, but it bears repeating - you have an awesome talent, not to mention a great eye for detail, coupled to skills of a very high standard. Beautiful knife and I am sure Mr. Lang will cherish it dearly.

18. rustyrazor

rustyrazor KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 13, 2011
    +1 for that. I am nothing short of impressed.

19. zeuqramjj2002

zeuqramjj2002

Sep 9, 2009
    Beautiful! love how it flows.