1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

A Little Autumn Bewareness

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by B Griffin, Nov 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
  2. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    That was an informative read, thank you. Pennsylvania ran into a bit of a Poison Hemlock problem, it’s been here for a long time, but this year it spread over a much larger area. I know I cut down what I found around my house after it flowered to keep the seeds from spreading and causing a larger issue in the future.

B Griffin likes this.
  3. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    I always enjoy reading your articles Brian. This is another good one.

B Griffin likes this.
  4. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you, I'm glad you found it informative. It seems to be on the rise here as well. Maybe due to just how many seeds each plant produces. I pointed these out to the landscapers in charge of maintaining the park, and they thank me and made it plain they would definitely leave them alone and avoid them from now on... So now I am trying to figure who in the parks dept. I can talk to, if any, that might do some good. These plants have already all died off for the year, but looking at the size of some, one can imagine the size of their roots and be sure they will come back. I don't care for roundup, but in this case it is tempting to saturate the entire mound next spring if no-one else does anything...
    [​IMG]

Thank you Greg, I appreciate the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy them. :) Since I've parted ways with RMJ, TOPS, Schrade I have been focusing on producing more in-depth and meaningful knowledge and skills based content for my publishers, and have taken on a few new publishers specifically for working on those elements. Mostly urbanized, but some wilderness and some crossover material as well.

McFeeli and NoRest like this.
  5. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Awesome writeup yet again! I never knew what those little tomatoes were.

B Griffin likes this.
  6. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    another goodun :thumbsup:

B Griffin likes this.
  7. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you Andy! I'm gad you enjoyed the article! I have been working on the images in my flora database folders for about 16 years now, since I got my first digital camera. It contains almost 4K hi rez images of plants in all stages of development, and takes up nearly 12GB on every device i have it stored on. It grew quite a bit this year as I have been using it as a teaching tool the last few years. The ones you requested
    are in the pipeline, but I have to wait a bit before I can dig up the roots that will be at least two feet deep in hard soil if not 3 feet Waiting on the autumn rains to saturate the soil and help the digging be easier to do

Thank you Phillip! I'm glad you liked it :)

8. CyberRacer

CyberRacer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2018
    I love when common sense hits me like a bolt of lightning, "Whenever a fruit goes from flower to decay over a period of months, without being eaten in a park full of wildlife, it should be seen as noteworthy". That's a piece of advice that will stick with me. Thanks

VANCE and B Griffin like this.
  9. gotgoat

gotgoat Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Thanks
    interesting article

B Griffin likes this.
  10. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the read. The decayed-fruits element was actually what started studying some plants in depth. I found it interesting that those fruits and seed pods would still be left standing, undisturbed by anything other than the weather and the sun bearing down, on them thicket or a field even after a very harsh winter featuring higher than normal snowfall and colder than usual temps. I knew there had to be a reason for it, and was pretty sure I knew what the only logical reason could be. So I wanted to know more and set about in-depth long term studies.

Thanks, I try to keep the content interesting on some level or another :)

VANCE likes this.
  11. mugwump867

mugwump867 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Thanks for the informative article. We had some new landscaping put in this spring and a bunch of Jimsonweed popped up later in the summer. Didn't think much about it as the flowers are pretty enough but decided to look them up anyways and then promptly yanked them as my dogs will put anything in their mouths. Around here we've had an issue with wild parsnip running amok and causing burns as well.

B Griffin likes this.
  12. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. From what I have read the seeds of all three can lay dormant for years and come to life when the earth they're in is disturbed. I am pretty sure that is exactly how that hill of Hemlock came to be. I think that earth was brought there to build the obstacles with. Probably a good idea to just pull it up roots and all. I have no idea if dogs have any sort of natural immunity to it or a natural knowledge to leave it alone. The seed pods do have an odor to them that most animals may already understand to leave them alone, and biting on a spiky smelly thing may be a natural deterrent for them.