A little weekend BIG Bowie project.

Well it's been an awesome weekend. Been in my man cave almost the whole weekend. Kind of chilly outside, I love being sent to my room.

I pretty much finished the checkering on the Big Bowie. Holding it, it just didn't feel quite right. So I took off some wood on all 4 corners top and bottom, less square a tad more egg shaped. I think we're there now. Feels good to me and room to adjust if SG feels the need.
Zebra is a relatively soft wood so I decided to go with Tru Oil instead of my usual plain linseed. It's a slightly stronger finish, hoping it will hold up to a bit more abuse. Still easy to touch up if ever needed. Doesn't plug up my checkering so a pretty good fit.

Checkering virtually disappears on Zebra wood too. This can be good or bad I guess. At least the contrasting colors of the wood show through in this case. Sometimes it flattens out that contrast look too which I do not like. Looks good this time.

Wish I had a few more days in the weekend we're just getting rolling, having a fine time and now I have to go back to the sweat shop again. I say we advocate the 3 day work week.....who's with me?

Well I was looking all over for the Opinel thread and turns out it's in this one too.

As our story continues I refinished an Opinel with a real purty Bubinga handle for stwm. I didn't think I could improve on it but miraculously it did come out really nice.

So he made me buy my own Opinel. I decided to try a fillet size and living on my side of the tracks I just went with the Beech wood handle. Really don't care what it looks like, just want it to live forever and do a bang up job of filleting bass and trout.

Here she is out of the box. (correction, this is after the stain, think I forgot an out of the box picture.)

I decided to add some finish to help the wood live longer since it will probably set out in the rain, the bottom of a tackle box full of water etc. I just quickly sanded it down, no where near the effort or care I did on the previous victim. Then decided to add a bit of military stock stain, it's alcohol based (taste awful though and make your tongue red) and soaks in good.

Then after it dried, it drys fast too. I had the bottle of Tru Oil out for the bowie so I slapped some of that on.

Even though I wasn't seeking pretty I'm happy with the results. It will take some time to dry and I'll probably add at least one more coat. I didn't want it so pretty I wouldn't use it on fish you know?

Kind of nice having multiple projects going, can keep going while one thing is drying or do something else after hours of checkering to get the crick out of your neck and so forth. Having a great time.

I might be sick tomorrow but I'm running out of stuff to play with. Well that's a little white lie but momma says a little white lie never hurt nobody. I got a room full of stuff. Fun to do it for other folks though.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled cantina activities.

Wow. I'm pretty speechless. That's phenomenal. Only problem is I gotta see a doctor I think. I've worn down to the bone on my chin dragging my jaw around for the past week. I suppose when I get the knife back I can just lop it right off and attach the drool bucket directly to the skull.

Can't wait to hear how that fits your hand SG. I am guessing it is going be awesome, but since everyone's hands are different if it turns out way too small for you feel free to send it over ;) and I will be happy to take care of it for you!

Grats SG! Mr. B did a fabulous job on that handle. Im kinda fond of Zebra wood myself. It sure does that AKB justice.
Thats a cool Opinel. I didnt know they made them that long. That would make a great fish filet knife. Maybe thats what it is?

Yup that's what it is. A fillet knife and I intend to give it a workout this summer.

Told the wife my plan and that fillet knives never seem to hold up good. Her response is when you fillet 500 bass in 10 days what do you expect. I certainly didn't expect that response but I guess there's some truth to it.

Wow you must catch a lot of fish!

That knife looks fantastic, I think it'll have to be my go-to if I find myself needing a fillet knife. It really has beautiful lines! Looks fairly stiff and fairly flexible and darn sharp!!

Thanks again for my beautiful display-grade Opinel! :D

Be careful looking for more projects because you just might find some!

Got several more weeks of winter around here so I'll be in search of sawdust. Got a couple things about finished, then I'll have to hunt something up I guess. It's fun having multiple projects so when one things aggravating or drying or you just need a change you can play on the other one.

I made me a filet knife from a file and it works well for me. Its getting some patina now. I use the heck out of it too.

99e6caf2a6eaaad59ff242236a459971

It needs a sheath tho.

That handle came out amazing, but did we expect anything less!! Very pleasing to the eye for sure.
Ndog, you know we can remedy your filet knife issue of no pants, you know my addy brother

Is that Tiger Maple? Stabilized?

That's a fine looking fillet knife and made from a file I bet it works and holds up well.

That handle came out amazing, but did we expect anything less!! Very pleasing to the eye for sure.
Ndog, you know we can remedy your filet knife issue of no pants, you know my addy brother
Why thank you sir! Ill probably take you up on that! Ill holler at ya when i get off my duff. Im still working on my friends knife:rolleyes: He sure likes his new sheath tho:thumbup:

Is that Tiger Maple? Stabilized?

That's a fine looking fillet knife and made from a file I bet it works and holds up well.
It does hold an edge for sure. Ive only sharpened it a few times since I made it. Mostly just drag it across a 20K water stone a few strokes and its done. The handle is Oregon Curly leaf Maple and the bolster and endcap is whitetail deer antler. The wood is stabilized. Thats some spensive stuff aint it? I tried to leave some file marks on the blade but after profiling it I lost most if not all of it. The blade is differentially tempered with a torch on the spine. I kept the edge in wet sand while tempering the back to spring temper. The hardness is perfect and the blade is real springy so I guess it worked. I think that was mostly luck tho. We'll see next time I try?

Yeah stabilized wood is painful to buy and not all created equal but it sure is nice to work with. No worry about spending hours on a project only to have it crack and stuff.

I need to save up and get some more on hand. Used my last piece this weekend. I'll post some pictures of that maybe this weekend.

Cool! I'd love to see more pics. Tell me bout that crack and cry stuff. If you ever had to work with stone its ten times worse. Be glad your doing wood! I love working the stabilized stuff and sometimes its worth the extra cost just cause it is so much more predictable when you find a good stabilizer. You kick butt on that raw wood sir! I have the greatest respect for someone that can make 1911 grips, counterbore, and align them pins and all that goes into doing that. Id never known that till I tried it on that AKB folder! Dang! Thats not an easy job especially by hand. Almost weekend! Whoohooo! Where's my Trapist Monk Ale:D

So it was stock removal or forged? It is beautiful that is for sure.
Bawanna I should've sent you the Tin Chirra I broke the handle on but the walnut-colored wood-filler is working out quite nicely.
I have a great idea for a project for you, actually......hmmm.....but I'm not that mean!
(cracked fore-end on a Browning A5)

So it was stock removal or forged? It is beautiful that is for sure.
Was that meant for me or Bawanna? Mine was forged. Sorry didnt mean to hijack Mr. B's post. We were on filet knives at the time so I just threw in a knife for the grins.

Don't worry none bout high jacking my threads. I'm the king of high jacking myself. I don't even do it on purpose, it just happens.

On the Browning A5, as I recall there's not a lot of material on those, rather thin in places, might be a tough fix.

Does Boyds or anybody make a replacement for it? I'm all for helping if it can be fixed by some means I know of. Maybe send some pictures or something.

Well here's the pics of the stabilized wood I been whittling on. It's Afzelia Lay. Kind of pretty stuff. Not my favorite compared to some of the Box Elder Burls and such but pretty nice.

Wrap around so a bit of a challenge to fit properly. Kahrs aren't easy.

Makes a mountain of sawdust to make a set.

And I got a 3rd set of handles on my little R series knife.

Feel good and they'll do until the right piece of antler etc shows itself. Or might leave as is, it's been handled enough I reckon.

Back