THE COMMANDO'S PRAYER

Give me, my god, what you still have;
give me what no one asks for,
I do not ask for wealth, nor success,
nor even health.

People ask you so often, God, for all that
that you cannot have any left.

Give me, my God, what you still have.
Give me what people refuse to accept from you.
I want insecurity and disquietude;
I want turmoil and brawl.

And if you should give them to me,
my God, once and for all,
let me be sure to have them always,
for I will not always
have the courage to ask for them.

Corporal Zirnheld
Special Air Service
1942, North Africa

Though I'm late in getting it up, I join Blues and others in saluting those of D-Day and other campaigns.

But I also want to salute and thank those others who place themselves in harms way to protect and serve out of lovingkindness. Those who do this professionably, and those who do it unpaid for their self-respect and duty to their principles and their God. Those in the military, in law enforcement, in courts and protective services, in medicine and in social work, in the churches,

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Where there is charity and love, there is God.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 06-07-2001).]

Rusty, if I remember right, this prayer was found on the body of the SAS soldier it is attributed to. It became the "official" prayer of the SAS. Correct me if I have been misinformed or not remembering correctly. God bless all who serve others in this kind of capacity, and may thier services never be needed.

rkenny, I suspect you may be right on all counts.

My point, to remind myself is that those willing to forget placing their own happiness and serve others out of love, disregarding the cost to themselves, may bitch and moan and gripe a little too loudly. But they have experienced the joy of doing their best, and with divine help, having made a difference in others lives.

I just remembered something that happened over 20 years ago. I was interning in Adult Parole and Probation, and one of the officers had got back from a home visit with a tape from a client pressed into his hand as he left. I played less than 5 minutes of it and hollered at the Officer "This is a ****ing suicide note." We backed the tape up, listened again and it was indeed suggestive. ( I also spent time at the Suicide Prevention/Crisis Control Center ). Twenty minutes farther into the tape the guy finally said it straight out. We didn't actually burn rubber pulling out of the P&P parking lot, but when we left him and hour later, he didn't kill himself on our watch.

Now that is satisfaction of a whole other order. It's pure joy, albeit usually mingled with sorrow. To me, and those in this forum who practice it in their lives, in whatever form, the pain experienced in such interventions is nothing compared to the joy and satisfaction earned in knowing you've made a difference in someones life.

Here's to us. I wouldn't want to not have the lot of us to share with. Jackasses or not, "you can't have the victory if you ain't fought the fight".

An apocryphal story was told of the Apostle John in his later years that his own disciples once came and asked why for years he had spoken only of love. He replied "That's all there is."

Oh, what the ****. Don't tell anyone I said this, but this bunch of bannanas is one of my most cherished sanctuarys. So don't nobody get me pi**** off.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 06-07-2001).]

After years of searching and agonizing over the truth, I came to one conclusion: ultimately, the only thing that matters is how we interact with our environment. Are we a constructive force? Do we bring healing? Can we accept and give love without judgement or taint of false ownership?

Sorry...guess I got carried away...my thanks to all those who've worked and bled for my freedom.

Back