a mill or a jig maybe? ideas?

RHINOKNIVES

Gold Member
hello fellow forumites. i am looking into making GRANTEN grinds (sp?) on some culinary blades. these are the vertical scallop like grinds in the sides of a slicer/chef knife that relive any vacuum or pressure that pushes the juice out of a roast while slicing it. any help is appceiated.

If you have access to a milling machine use that. Just clamp the blade in the vise edge up and use the right endmill for the diameter radius you want. You could do alternating sizes for slicing a variety of materials. You could also make them with a file. You could do them before grinding, while the blade is profiled so they taper from the edge and get larger as you go up the blade.
Chuck

Some people call them Kullens. I have built three
knives for the local butcher shop. I used a fordom
grinder and did it free hand (pratice helps a lot)
using a mounted wheel and a blue polishing wheel
1" dia to finish. thay alternate on each side. The
blue wheels are used by Jewlery makers and are very
handy for knife makers. Hope this helpes. Gib

Just food for thought...A few years ago I got one of the small ocillating sanders from Sears. Table top model with wheels from 1/2" to 3". Reasonably priced and is great for small radius work like inside folder backspacers, thumb ramps, etc. Enco sells the abrasive belts pretty cheap. We use it more than I ever thought.
The other night in Home Depot I saw one made by Rigid and it uses the same wheels and has a second wheel so you can use a 4x21" belt and a flat platen in between.
The 1/2" wheel would do that job easily.

thats the idea mike but the ones i want to do would be 1/2" to 1 1/2" across. i think a 4" wheel or larger will be needed. i will have to play with it and see if i can hollow grind them. one at A TIME.

Laurence, have you ever made box joints. If so make a jig the same way, mount a very fine wheel the correct width in your table saw (shouuld be able to get it from McMaster), clamp the blade to the second half of the jig and grind them. If you need plans for the jig just let me know. I have an old atlas table saw that I just use for metal cutting and grinding. Picked it up at a yard sale without a motor years ago for 5 bucks. It has a 1hp motor on it now and gets used a lot. It's perfect for this type of grind.

peter, i am not familar with box joints.\? i would like to see this jig, i could modifie it to work with my foredom or hardcore. let me know how you would like to send the info. thanks.

Back