A Moral Dilemma

With exception of one, the only knives I've purchased over the last three years have been Himalayan Imports blades. I know that they are reliable, and I've only seen one other blade that can match the spirit of the H.I. khuk. Try as I might, I cannot resist the lure of a Swamprat knife. I'm a big time perfectionist when it comes to my knives, and as much as I love them my H.I. blades require a lot of work when I get back from a hike. I was looking for a knife that I could beat the hell out of and not worry about it. I don't want to spend 1-2 hours cleaning and sharpening after a weekend of camping anymore.
There's no need to try and sell me on them, I've already decided that my next purchase will be either a Battle Rat or a Camp Tramp. This is where you come in. I'm still undecided, I just can't make up my mind. Due to an extremely tight budget the will be my only knife purchase for at least another year. It will be used as a hiking and camping knife most of the time with the occasional around the house job. I want to go with the Battle Rat because its bigger and I'm a big beliver in you never know what you'll need. Also because I'm used to carrying an 18" WWII khukuri. But I keep asking my self, " Do you really need that big of a knife?" Honestly my khuk is an overkill, I've never needed that much chopping power. I can't think of anything that the Camp Tramp can't do that I would need it to do, but damn I want that big knife! Obviously I'll be able to purchase the Camp Tramp sooner, but is the Battle Rat worth the wait? Help!! I'm pulling my hair out! I hate these life altering decisions. Its funny my friends at work can't understand my problem, but I know that you dirty rats out there will. :D So I beg of you noble rodents, please help a rat in trouble.

Now there's the issue of brown or black? BTW I wonder if Eric or Jennifer realize that brown and black are the two major species of rat. The brown is bigger and ultimately pushed the black out of its home, but the black is the plauge carrier....:eek:

Thanks,

- D

wait till you see the 'White Rat'! Oops! :footinmou :footinmou :footinmou

Go the brown, very nice indeed!

Just posted a pic in another thread...

I have a Camp Tramp and I LOVE it! I do not have a battle rat, but I do have a Battle Mistress, and I believe it is the same size as the Rat. I was surprised at how much difference those couple of inches of blade can make. I can't fault the camp tramp in ANY area, but if it main chores will be as a chopper I think that you might be more happy with the Larger Battle Rat. Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong with either. Let me know if you want some comparison shots in my hand or anything and I'll try to take them if it will help you make a decision.

Hey Vamp,
I'm a big HI user myself, and must echo the opinion that if you are looking for a chopper that will somewhat approximate a big khuk, you'll need to go with the Battle Rat. I absolutely adore my CT, but it can't keep up with an AK when going through the woodpile. Those extra couple inches on the BR should help a lot. Better yet, get both! :) I, too, would go for tan. I only have one tan Rat but it is my favorite finish by far. Best of luck, you'll be happy with whichever you choose. :cool:

Vampire Hunter
Welcome to the Rat's Nest, glad you stopped by.

These guys will help you out and good luck with your decision :D:D

Hey, thanks for all of the great response!

A white rat! Better yet, how about a cobalt blue rat, with a new A.F. tiger stripe camo kydex sheath from Okuden! We could call it the Sewer Rat!

I know, it'll never happen.

An in hand comparison of the Battle Rat and the Camp Tramp would be great.

I just don't know, get the Camp Tramp real soon or wait another two to three months and get a Battle rat.... Damn. I hope that you don't think I'm being too foward or rude, but I've got to ask, does SWKW give a military discount? :D

-D

I think the heavier weight and greater reach of the Battle Rat would suit you better, especially if you like the heft of HI Khuks.

Back