1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

a new home for my hinderer (and some other :) ) knives - the ULTIMATE KNIFE DISPLAY

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by evolution80, Feb 6, 2015.

1. evolution80

evolution80

May 11, 2013
    hello my fellow knife enthusiasts!

i remember when i was a kid everywhere we went my parents always had to stop by at any knife/firearm store for me to check out what they had on display - so i had this idea that when i would finally have my own knife collection i would like a wall mounted display case - kind of like a shopping window only featuring knives to my taste

since we share the same taste in high quality knives i figured you ladies and gentlemen would appreciate :thumbup: :D... so after many hours of planning, testing and prototyping i finally pesent my first high end custom knife display:

some specs:

massive wood panel construction (aluminium/stainless steel in progress - along with setup in horizontal "flat-tv-like" format)
    one-piece glass front door - lockable
    high performance led lighing system (shown at 4000-4500k / 3400lm - i know it is almost too bright - remote control dimmer in progress)
    highly variable knife attachment system
    lots of options improvements to come

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

please let me know what you think! - i would appreciate your thoughts and criticism

thanks

andreas

2. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Very nice.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. xxfalconxx

xxfalconxx

Dec 19, 2013
    Andreas......that is awesome......the thought, design, detail and implementation of the case is phenomenal........
    The knives look fantastic in there.......
    It's just gorgeous.......you are truly a craftsman......
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. Trabireiter

Trabireiter

Mar 10, 2008
    I like it! not too overcrowded, that's definitely a plus

5. slim4511

slim4511

Dec 8, 2014
    I like it.

6. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Clever way to disguise a wall-safe full of more valuable items.

7. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Looks pretty awesome! The lights take it to a whole nother level. Nice job indeed.

8. alwayscarryaknife

alwayscarryaknife

May 31, 2013
    Looks great Andreas!

9. BikerTrash

BikerTrash

Feb 5, 2011
    That is awesome! Plus you have room for more.

10. cakes072185

cakes072185

Apr 2, 2014
    Bravo, especially if you made that yourself!

11. Jensen81

Jensen81

Oct 3, 2012
    I love it Andreas! It is a display case that any knife enthusiast would be proud to display in their home. Great work buddy. :D

12. Alford78

Alford78

Dec 29, 2014
    Well the lights make the display IMO! The pics were worth your trip to photographer to capture the lit shot!

Care to snap some internal shots of the lighting setup?

Job well done!

Only because you asked. Only thing that jumps out that maybe would change is the hangers could be painted with a matte finish or even powder coated if want to get picky since less likely to chip when change out EDC.

13. evolution80

evolution80

May 11, 2013
    thank you Rubi - might mount it in the stereo room - although glass... acoustics... :D had to put up thick curtains and a thick carpet because of all the glass and smooth hard walls in there... :D

and yes - like you said - it focuses on the knives rather than the display - without sacrificing the "solid build" look -

thank you Ross!

danke! - but thats because i only put in the knives i found worthy :D - gotta get more dlc hinderers and maybe even a few customs some day :D

thank you!

hahaha! you got it! :D

thank you! the lighting system works really well - the shadow in the mid section is much less pronounced in real life - hard to photograph i guess although my photographer did a great job!

thanks Brian!

thank you Jim! yeah - i could use some more knives :D - even designed some cnc milled knife holders - also in ti - but had to lay that off for some future custom versions :D

thank you! i cant take all the credit - i did the cad drawings, final assembly, knife-attachment end-finish and assembly - the cabinet-frame itself was made by a certified master craftsman though - i am a metal guy :D

thanks Jensen!

thanks! yes but there is still some shadow left - it looks much better in real life :D

-the hangers were first designed as cnc milled parts - then in bead/sandblasted ti6al4v - and finally i ended up using satin finished stainless steel - had to cut some cost - with the milled parts or the parts in titanium it would have cost me about 4 custom hinderers - like this it was a little bit less :D

...but the designs for the milled and ti hangers are there - maybe even dlc coating would be an option - should go well with a brushed/satin stainless steel background... - all for future custom versions :D

ideas ideas - :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  14. evolution80

evolution80

May 11, 2013
    just to show some detail (sorry i did not have a hinderer fixed blade :D) - all the points where the knives would come into contact with the stainless steel holder/hooks are covered in nbr, silicone or ultrasuede/escaine - to prevent scratching...

[​IMG]

what do you guys think about a horizontal format version - using small ss pneumatic cylinders for the door... maybe use stainless steel instead of wood... ??? currently working on it...

15. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Quiet/silent electric linear screw-type actuator(s).

16. JERGENSEN

JERGENSEN

Dec 25, 2014
    Nicely done.

17. mindlessmark07

mindlessmark07

Feb 16, 2015
    Well Done!

18. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    ^^nice GT3.

And I suggest looking into an LED or two mounted tactfully/tastefully under each knife to better highlight them and brighten the darker spots in the display.

19. evolution80

evolution80

May 11, 2013
    thanks for the latest comments!

hahaha - i looked into these :thumbup: - my designs are already expensive as hell - however if somebody ever wants to take it to the next level :D

currently designing an aluminium version / horizontal format / impact resistant glass...

[​IMG]