1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A nice custom paring knife for a young girl...

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Sonnydaze, May 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Well, that's the general outline. My grand-daughter is graduating from high-school in two weeks, and I'd like to get her a nice custom paring knife. Of course, she doesn't know steels...or sharpening, but she does use the dishwasher...I'm sure. So that makes it tough to use a nice wooden grip.
    What do you suggest for a steel that will stay sharp for a "long" time, and a grip material that looks really nice and will withstand the rather minimal "care" given by a young lady...??
    Yes, I could order one off of the Web is that becomes necessary...but a nice custom by one of our own bladesmiths would be greatly preferred.
    thanx.
    Don

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Sir, the detergent, & Hot water ruins the edge of the knife as well as the handle..

jc57 likes this.
  3. Sonnydaze

Jul 6, 2009
    Okay, Laurence, thanks. I'll try to instruct her NOT to go the route of the dishwasher. She is already a pretty good cook, from about age 9, so perhaps she'll be more in line with proper care.

4. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    A hand washing with dish soap only takes a few seconds .. Tell her there is a reason it’s called a Dishwasher! Not a knife washer!;)

jc57 likes this.
  5. Sonnydaze

Jul 6, 2009
    thank you for your posts. I have "scheduled" a great knife-maker for the paring knife, and also had some very nice offers from some of you custom fellows.
    Much appreciated...
    Don

Pondoro2310 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.