A nice custom paring knife for a young girl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's the general outline. My grand-daughter is graduating from high-school in two weeks, and I'd like to get her a nice custom paring knife. Of course, she doesn't know steels...or sharpening, but she does use the dishwasher...I'm sure. So that makes it tough to use a nice wooden grip.
What do you suggest for a steel that will stay sharp for a "long" time, and a grip material that looks really nice and will withstand the rather minimal "care" given by a young lady...??
Yes, I could order one off of the Web is that becomes necessary...but a nice custom by one of our own bladesmiths would be greatly preferred.
thanx.
Don

Last edited:
Okay, Laurence, thanks. I'll try to instruct her NOT to go the route of the dishwasher. She is already a pretty good cook, from about age 9, so perhaps she'll be more in line with proper care.

A hand washing with dish soap only takes a few seconds .. Tell her there is a reason it’s called a Dishwasher! Not a knife washer!;)

thank you for your posts. I have "scheduled" a great knife-maker for the paring knife, and also had some very nice offers from some of you custom fellows.
Much appreciated...
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back