1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A one day slip joint

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Randy3000, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    I challenged myself to make a slip joint, from start to finish, in a single day. Technically, most of my single blade knives are done in about 24 hours, but that is spread out over a week minimum. I actually made this over the weekend, but decided to post it today.

I had some black walnut that i had been storing for a while and just hadnt used. Seemed as good a time as any to use it. If i could rewind, i would have chosen something else. I dont like the surface cracks. I also meant to use a smaller pin in the top middle, but accidentally drilled the wrong sized hole and had to go with it.

All the material was cut of bar or sheet stock. I did all the heat treating. I did all the fitting and gluing and sanding and inlaying. From raw materials to this, nothing premade, in one day. About 15 hours. Sort of a slip joint version of FiF.

Closed length 3.5"
    Edge length 2.625"
    O-1 steel
    Brass liners
    Nickel silver pins, shield, and bolster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Looks real good, Randy!

3. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    came out very well !

4. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I wish I could pull off a knife like that over the weekend! You did a great job with it.

5. Boggs

Boggs Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2007
    It’s always ill advised to rush just to prove it can be done...silly errors occur that normal wouldn’t be made...
    Pointing out the pin size I really would not have noticed...it’s the actual placement that throws off the aesthetics.

6. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    I agree. But i had fun. And now have a new apple slicer i can leave in my work desk.

7. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 14, 2017
    Very nice work!

8. Spalted

Spalted My name is Britt Askew I like making knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 9, 2010
    To me that means you win :thumbsup:

Randy3000 likes this.
  9. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Looks good! I started out building multiple fixed blades or 1-2 slipjoints per day. Now it takes me one - two weeks to build a slipjoint.

DevinT likes this.
  10. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Someone at work said that my paring knife was "menacing". I'm tempted to casually peel my apple with a karambit...

Randy3000 likes this.
  11. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    You were a machine to churn out 1-2 a day consistently! No way i could keep that up!

12. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    When i bought my house, i invited coworkers over for a BBQ. While tending the smoker, one coworker went into my garage and found several 5 gallon buckets full of gun range brass. She was so uncomfortable she had to leave. To be scared of metal in a bucket, what a sad existence.

13. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    But I'm slow now. I have a good friend that consistently turns out 10-20 slip joints per week.:D

14. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    That just sounds like work at that point!

15. Don Hanson III

Oct 3, 2002
    Yes I agree! But he loves it.