A pair by Mike Alsdorf

Greetings gents.

I had been wanting to add a custom slipjoint or two to the collection for a little while now.

My criteria were:
  • small - I wanted something that would disappear into a pocket and not make its presence constantly felt. I have enough small fixed blades for any heavier-duty cutting;
  • clean - really good fit and finish and solid workmanship all around. Something I'd enjoy taking out of my pocket just to look at, even when nothing needed to be cut.
  • affordable - had to be at a price point that I would feel comfortable actually putting it to use.

Saw some great stuff at Blade, but a lot of it was priced above where I wanted to be. A few of you gents had recommended that I look at Mike Alsdorf, and I'm glad you did.

These two fit the bill quite nicely: interframe gold lip pearl doctor's and an interframe ironwood jack:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

VERY impressed with the quality of work in absolute terms, and even moreso when the relatively modest price is factored in.

Cheers,

Roger

PS - the pearl is firly washed out in the photos - it's quite a bit darker gold than shown.

Nice choices Rodger. They are fine knives. Congrats to you and Mike Alsdorf. I see you are left handed by the nail pulls.

Welcome to Alsdorf Fan Club. His knives are an amazing value.
I am on number 16 right now. I know you made a good choice.
James

Can't say i have ever really liked interframes, but that one in Ironwood is fabulous!

G.

Roger, After looking at the pix again. Why are there nail pulls on each side?

Morrow

Don't make this weird
Welcome to Alsdorf Fan Club. His knives are an amazing value.
I am on number 16 right now. I know you made a good choice.
James

16? geez. I have 3 with a 4th on order. Thanks for making me NOT feel guilty :D

To the OP, the interframe jack is something special. Nice pick ups.

Mike's knives have very smooth and consistent pulls. The dual nail nicks allow the blade to be "plucked" open with ease.

Bastid

Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder.
Staff member
Super Mod
Congrats Roger!

As usual, I see you made an excellent choice ;).

Thanks for all the comments. Earlier this year one of the major knife publications did an article on Ron Lake's first interframe and they noted he put nail nicks on both sides. I thought that was a useful feature since I have made left handed folders for customers. The challenge for me was to be able to make them the same size and on the same centerline. Took some time but I think it was worth it. I have only made a few with the nail nicks on both sides.
Thanks
Mike

Mike Alsdorf, Thanks for your explanation. If you find it a useful option for your customers by all means I would continue to offer it. As you stated they are on the same center line on both sides of the blade and to me it looks like it would be a weak place in the blade as there could only be a few thousands of metal between the nail pulls.

Again Thanks,

Hello D.Parker,

I took into account the thickness between nail nicks before I cut and I would never do if I thought there would be a problem. A few thousands (.003) is approx. the thickness of 2 hairs (the average human hair measures approx. .0015-.002). The thickness between nail nicks is approx .040 which I believe will never be a problem even if abused.

Thanks
Mike

canineforge

Gold Member
Nice pair there, Roger. I really like Mike's interframe doctor's knives. His folders are super clean and great values.

- Joe