How To A Question About Deploying a Spyderco's Blade

Bob Denman

That OTHER Guy...
Platinum Member
I'm quite intrigued about the design of Spyderco's offerings; but I have a question before I get serious about shopping:
If you can't flick them open with a finger or thumb: how easy can they be deployed?
I've got a World Class case of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Do you just grab the blade by the hole in it, and yank it out?
If so: how much tension holds it in place?
Thanks!

You don't have to flick it, it's designed for a nice easy push of the thumb, particularly useful when wearing gloves. Or you can do it two handed like a traditional.

Reactions: x20
Thanks for the reply!
But that's where the problem lies: my thumbs and forefingers just don't work as planned anymore.
There's just no "push" left in my thumbs...
Assuming I can grab the blade: can it be deployed in that manner?

Yep, I do it all the time. Commonly called the Spydiedrop around these parts. The hole gives good purchase if you have a little grip strength (no gorilla grip needed, but you do need to be able to hold the weight of the knife), grab the blade by the hole and give a little jerk, the weight of the handle will pull the knife at least part way open. How easy it is depends on what model of knife and type of lock, some are easier than others.

Thanks! That info just put them back on my radar!
Mow: which one do I need the most? ...

In fact: I just ordered Dragonfly 2 with the Emerson wave opener.
As I got looking at what was available: that opener looked like a way to solve my issues.
Thanks again!

That should work. I was going to say that liner lock or compression lock knives in the smaller sizes work more easily in the lightweight (FRN) versions than backlocks, but the wave opener will open a backlock easily even with the ultralight handle.

We will find out for sure. You've been most helpful!

Thanks for the reply!
But that's where the problem lies: my thumbs and forefingers just don't work as planned anymore.
There's just no "push" left in my thumbs...
Assuming I can grab the blade: can it be deployed in that manner?

Buy a Spydie w/a compression lock.

If you press the lock, you can open the blade w/a light flick of the wrist. You just have to remember to release the lock (take your finger off it) as you flick it in order to lock the blade in place.

Compression locks... I'll look into them for the next Spydie-purchase!

Buy a Spydie w/a compression lock.

If you press the lock, you can open the blade w/a light flick of the wrist. You just have to remember to release the lock (take your finger off it) as you flick it in order to lock the blade in place.
Assuming of course that his world-class Carpal Tunnel Syndrome has left him enough manual dexterity to do that.

Assuming of course that his world-class Carpal Tunnel Syndrome has left him enough manual dexterity to do that.
My concern as well...
But I'll try anything once.
(Putting a Para 3 lightweight on my "must order" list)

True but,I've had carpal tunnel and it's mainly a wrist "thing", which should not affect the pinching action of the index finger (with the thumb and other fingers holding the knife.

Assuming that's not a problem, the amount of "flick" necessary to open the knife is minimal and, in fact, you could do the "flick" w/o even bending your wrist -- just move your arm/hand in a single motion, which should eliminate the need to bend the wrist.

I just tried it and it works. Not as well as with a wrist flick but it can be done. No need to do a Spydie thumb or index finger flick as required w/other Spydie knives.

Ahhh... that is exactly how my condition has presented itself: a complete loss of "pinchability".

Perhaps a nice small fixed blade is what you need. But that's for another thread I suppose.

Thanks for the idea; but I'm more into folding stuff...

If pinching is difficult, then a compression lock is likely not the best solution. I like my Para 2, but find the Axis lock easier to close one handed.

I can't think of any time I've wrist flicked a knife open (besides while reading a thread to duplicate what I've read). I carry Spydies with back locks a lot (exclusively for almost 20 years), and just put my thumb into the hole and open the blade in a fluid motion.

I've never used a Dragonfly, but it should work well for you.

Ahhh... that is exactly how my condition has presented itself: a complete loss of "pinchability".

In that case, as noted above by Grizzm@n above, it probably won't work for you.

However, other than an automatic, it is the easiest way to open a Spydie that I know of and, if you can drop by a shop that has a compression lock Spydie in stock (or can buy it thru Amazon which offers free returns), it's certainly worth a try.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back