A question about the textured Busse handles...

Hello you crazy Busse folks!

I have a question about the handles that I have seeen on pics of some Busse knives. The handles look like micarta, but they are also checkered, or have these little concave dips all over them. They sure look liek they offer a VERY secure grip. I was wondering how this is done? I never have really seen it before, and my curiosity is driving me nuts! :)

I don't know what method they use to make it, but you're right on the money - it is extremely secure in the hand but not rough enough to cause hot spots when using. I personally like the e-grip on my NO better than the Satin Jack, but it's all subjective. Someone made a post either here or on bussecombat.com about liking the larger grip because of twisting, etc in the hand and I tend to agree.

Mark

Well, I don't know how they put the texture on, but I believe the texture is called "Diamond Quilting". I really like the texture (I would even prefer a more aggresive texturing, but then again I like to use gloves when chopping); it is quite grippy, but as marklee said, it doesn't cause any hot spots.

I believe it's just a CNC process. Kind of looks like ground out valleys with little flat pyramids left. The quilting provides an excellent grip and I have found that if you get one that has been skinned (metal taken down flush with micarta) all around the handle it is even more comfortable than having a little tang with the high relief.

Thanks for the info guys! The handles sure look great.

Um, I'm not sure if I should do this (I fear nuclear retaliation), but I heard a little something a while back on this forum about a Busse knife that bends in the middle? Any word on how that project is coming along? :)

(I figured it would be safe for me to ask, as I only occasionally post here nut lurk often. I'll take the heat for the rest of you folks who wanted to ask the same question!!!)

:)

As I have mentioned before, they were able to get a Busse knife to fold. It took a humongous press, very large construction equipment and much hydraulic capacity, but it did eventually fold.

Now the challenge is to get the darned thing to fold back!:eek: :rolleyes: :D ;)

Back