A question for those who carry their knives in Mike Sastre sheaths...

Good Day,

With extended use of neck/security sheaths has anyone noticed any G-10 or FRN surface degradation? Any smoothing or mashing of surface textures?

I don't imagine their is any, but I thought I would ask.

------------------
Thank you,
Marion David Poff aka Eye, Cd'A ID, USA mdpoff@hotmail.com

My review of the World Survival Institute, Chris Janowsky survival knife, the Ranger.

Talonite Resource Page, nearly exhaustive!!

Fire Page, metal match sources and index of information.

"Many are blinded by name and reputation, few see the truth" Lao Tzu

[This message has been edited by Marion David Poff (edited 09-03-2000).]

David,

I only have G10 knives in Mike's sheaths, a blue Native and a Harpy. The sheaths have not affected the surface of the G10 at all, althought there has been some wear on the finish of the clips. Hope this helps.

Take care,

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 09-03-2000).]

Haven't got mine but will surely furnish you the feedback!
wink.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...

Your question caused me to closely study my Harpy in Concealex sheath. No signs of any wear or marking on the G10. Some wear on the clip, where the scabbard contacts, but, surprisingly, more wear on the exterior part of the clip (outside the sheath) where my hand makes contact!
By the way, I've found this necksheath a very practical bit of kit.

------------------
Check Six...
Dennis

I gave 2 (River City) away to a friend. One for an FRN Endura and the other a FRN Delica. There seems to be no wear marks other than some polished/ shiny areas on their handle perimeters. But I can' t be %100 sure if they are a result of resheathing/ unsheathing.

She too will be passing them on for the same reason I did. They are a b*tch to deploy due to too much tension. Especially when trying to use the thumbhole drop method. I be interested to know if Mike Sastre would offer them with tip down carry...

L8r,
Nakano

no sign of wear on the G-10 of my Blue Native. And I'd been looking, because I love that knife.

Nakano,

If you were having trouble deploying the blade or making the draw, you should have contacted me for an exchange - you may have gotten a Security Sheath by mistake. Did you purchase from me, a dealer, or over the internet? The sheaths are guaranteed to work as advertised if you have the proper sheath. Contact me if you are having problems.

Mike

I was concerned about wear on the blue clip like Clay mentioned. I ordered a clip set from Spyderco, and use an unpainted stainless clip. I haven't had any wear at all. His sheaths are top notch!

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

My concern, which experience now shows was groundless, was that if that tough sheath somehow caused degradation of the G-10 handle, I'd be left trying to grab a firm grip on a bundle of unbonded fiberglas. Experience working construction in my youth has left me with a healthy respect--oh all right, call it a morbid fear--of what happens when loose fiberglas meets flesh. But again, I haven't had a problem, nobody else has reported one along those lines, and that Mike Sastre sheath is really nifty.

Not at home to check the wear on my BladeForums Native, but if any, it is not much. After several uses (say 5 to 20?) knife deployed fine, yet still tight enough I have never had to worry.

The only wear I noticed was to the concealex sheath. A thin film peeled off the carbon fiber pattern concealex, but looks the same underneath. I am not aware of any protective coating as some products are delivered with. Just curious as it has not appeared to pose any problem. ???

I would prefer a sheath to be too tight or too encompassing, rather than too loose, but I did recently receive a knife where the sheath is very tight. It is probably because of the blade shape (ramps). I used a little beeswax which seemed to help without making anything loose. I have not inquired with the maker yet.

Mike, I like my Native Concealex sheath! Thank you!

I like Mike's stuff a lot, he has done first class work for me.

MIKE: WHERE ARE YOU? I HAVE SENT YOU SEVERAL E-MAILS WITHOUT RESPONSE. PLEASE CONTACT ME SOONEST!!!

Doug

xotdt@yahoo.com

Dude! I had finally received my neck sheaths for my spydies - Endura and Military.
Excellent fit, finishing and workmanship!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
They are worth every dollar and cent! Thanks a ka-jillion to Mike for shipping the goodies to this part of the world!

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...
AKTI Member #A001148

Hey isn't this place great? Only here can you put up a post and get feed back from the manufacturer. Knife Folks are the BEST!!!!

Will there be one available for the Chinook? Thinking about picking one up... E

Mike was generous enough to take back my Merlin neck sheath and send out a concealex one for my Delica in its LOCKED OPEN position. I haven' t put it thru its paces fully yet but its materials, fit and finish are excellent. Mike stated that this was his first attempt for a folder in its locked open position. Seems like he' s done it right. I will continue its evaluation and will try to post a review. Thanks again Mike for working with me.

L8r,
Nakano

Oh yes, I' ll examine it for any FRN handle wear.
smile.gif

I love my sheath for the Calypso ltwt. Jr. I haven't noticed any problems at all.

Nakano,

Please let us know how the new Delica sheath works out. I've been wanting one set up like that for a while now.

Back