A question on a couple of Bucks. / Photos added

jwh

I debated on putting this here or in the Buck forum. I thought I may get a little less biased answer here. As some of you know I have a few Case traditionals and recently added a couple of GEC Tidoute folders. I decided to see what the Buck offerings were like. I just ordered the 2 listed below. Will these 2 knives be representitive of the Buck traditional non-locking folders? Anyone have these and willing to share your experiences with them? I do have some Buck fixed blade and folders from the past and a few of their newer designs that I really like.
Thanks folks.

Buck Cadet 303GYS Black Dymondwood
Buck Lancer 305GYS Black Dymondwood

jwh

Last edited:
I carried a 303 cadet for a couple of years after I retired my 301. The cadet was an excellent pocket knife for edc, and is a good specimen of the 300 series Buck's. My old friend and co-worker Andy used his as a all around pocket knife as well as his deer hunting knife. It will do anything you need of a pocket knife with no trouble.

Carl.

I've ordered my first Buck traditional, the 303 Cadet in yellow delrin. Can't wait to get it. I've searched carefully and then decided for it.
On the 303, I particularly like the thin blades with three springs. I'm sure it will earn alot of time in my pockets.
From what I've read, the most representative Buck traditional might be the 301 stockman...but others will give you a more solid opinion.

Fausto
:cool:

I don't have any Buck Dymondwood models.
I have several cadets in yellow and black and a yellow Lancer.
I will admit that I carry a 301 more frequently than either.

I like the cadets just fine. The Lancer is too small for me to be entirely happy with it. (I like the Buck Companion better than the Lancer. It's just enough bigger to be more usable to me.)

I find all to be well made. I think the Buck 420HC makes a lot of sense on a traditional. It gets really sharp with not much work; and at ~58 HRC, does not deform easily, so it maintains an edge reasonably well. The Bucks don't feel quite as polished as the Case knives do, but I generally like the Bucks better because of the higher hardness of the Buck steel.

Knarfeng has spoken with tact and wisdom. I cannot add much to his statement of fact, choice and opinion.

Here is couple of my experiences that fall inline with his. Buck began making the 305 Lancer in 1972. The world was different back then and even men in business suits felt a tradition and need to carry a pocketknife. The 305 fit in the excutive pocket well and likely opened some expensive mail, trimmed a few cigars and cleaned a couple of pipes. Today its small size seems out of place. The 309 is small as I like to go.
The 303 Cadet fits in an old style jeans watch pocket just right, as does the 309. As a slacks pocket knife either will work well. I still call both the 309 and 305 "Sunday Knives". But I use the 309 a lot as a second EDC knife.
Dymondwood is a resin laminate that can withstand a considerable amount of handling (ie abuse). Knarfeng is the go-to steel guy in my opinion so what he says above. As he owns the yellow scales, I also own and like its traditional look and think that the hot pressed in place scale material looks a hair better than the riveted on laminate.

I cannot express enough the act of cleaning the polishing media out of a new Buck knife to improve the snap upon folding.
I have experienced this myself on several knives. Wash under hot soapy water, dry with hairdryer or remove moisture with a spray of WD40. After drying a couple of drops of good oil and the snap should be all it will ever be.

Last edited:
I own and use a couple of Buck slipjoints ( 301 in yellow Delrin and 309 in sawcut black) and Ill admit that I'm very impressed with them like Case and GEC they too have their own distinctive style. I'm very fond of the yellow Delrin and feel it helps a great deal with the ergonomics of the knife.

I have a small collection of Bucks including an LE 301, a cherry Dymondwood 303, a 309/310 whittler and a 305 Lancer. My favorite is the 303 followed by the 309, the LE 301 needs the cleaning treatment as described by 300 Bucks as it has no snap at all, and the 305 is a bit small though I do love small knives for my jeans' watch pocket.

The 303 is a great knife and gets a lot of pocket time, I had it there over the weekend for a Scouting event. The whittler is just plain cool.

I broke down yesterday and ordered a yellow 301, that's going to get the most pocket time at summer camp this year.

Thanks for all the info folks. If I like these I may have to order a stockman and Companion in Yellow if available.

jwh

I only have one Buck slip joint. My son got it for me for Christmas a couple years ago.

The fit and finish is very good. I also like that it has three backsprings. It makes the knife a little wider, but thats o.k for me because I have big hands. The other benefit imho is that the blades lay straight. Stockman knives with only two springs have the blades kinked, so they will all close, but that usually means they are going to rub a little. Of course not all of them do, but I've owned quite a few that do.

I really like the blade profile on the Bucks too, and they came nice and sharp right out of the box. This model also comes with a nice pocket sheath. I've only used it a couple times, but it's a nice touch. The only negative I have about the knife is as others have mentioned. The springs are a little weak, so the snap is very minimal.
It doesn't hurt anything if the knife is used correctly, but I'm use to springs that are a little stronger.

DSC02364.jpg

I like these more than I thought I would. Fit and finish is fine by me. Blades are acceptable. Sharpness good. Decent scales. Lifetime warranty. What's not to like?

IMG_3155-Edit.jpg

IMG_3158-Edit.jpg

IMG_3160-Edit.jpg

jwh

I like these more than I thought I would. Fit and finish is fine by me. Blades are acceptable. Sharpness good. Decent scales. Lifetime warranty. What's not to like?

IMG_3155-Edit.jpg

IMG_3158-Edit.jpg

IMG_3160-Edit.jpg

jwh

Cool. I think they will serve you well for a long time. They are obvioulsy not what one would consider higher end knives, but imho they are a great working knife.
They have one of the best warranties in the business, and their customer service is outstanding, should you ever need it

Just got a Buck in for my son (not a traditional though), and I've noticed no matter what, they make great knives.

He's thrilled BTW :D

I don't have much new to add. Everyone pretty much covered it. For the money, Buck's 300 series are a no brainer. You'll have to do a little sharpening and put up with minor cosmetic flaws. The upside is much bigger than the downside. These knives are strong, good looking, and made in the USA.

Let me take this chance, at the far end of a Buck thread, to politic again for a 'future' model request from Buck. Several of you have said you would favor a version as described. The 301 size knife is at the Buck factory being 'shown' around, I hope with success. You never know who from Buck is looking, especially when they are sitting in airports waiting for a plane........ 300Bucks

Two blade, secondary actually a warcliff in place of the modified sheepsfoot shown here, same side or opposite.
TwoBladeCompare.jpg

PS If I wasn't so cheap, I would have someone make a custom blade, ie Warcliff, and make one of these two blades so we could see the actual 'form' of the proposed knife.

Last edited:
Nice pics! I'm looking forward to my 303 (don't have it in my hands yet, but at least it's in friendly hands...:rolleyes:)
300Bucks, we're all looking forward for the clip/wharncliffe (or clip/sheepsfoot) Buck slipjoint. As a very personal note, I'd rather have both blades on the same end, but either way I'm sure it will be a great knife (assuming Buck ever decides to produce it...but we trust you man ;))

Fausto
:cool:

I ordered a 303 and I'm returning it, the rivet wasn't finished properly and it's sharp. My yellow comfortcraft 309 is quickly becoming my EDC though, I think I like it's size better than the 303. I'm not bashing Buck here, I love their knives but I finally managed to get a dud. Love the 309!

IMG_0134.jpg

Eric

Back