A quick summary of what is and isn't legal in Los Angeles County, California

Is there a consensus on assisted open knives like say a Kershaw leek?

I've heard that just recently, California is now allowing spring assisted knives and according to this youtube video by a California lawyer, that is true.
I have a Kershaw Leek myself but if I decided to carry it out in public, I would keep it completely concealed in the pocket. I wouldn't want the clip or any part of the knife showing just to avoid any possible complications. There's always a chance that a cop will argue that it's an automatic so better to avoid that headache. It's really dumb because some of flippers that run on ball bearings can flick open just as fast as an automatic o_O

hey guys I live in los angeles county . I just purchased this from my local walmart. Is this legal ? The blade is 5 inches

picture of the knife I purchased from walmart

Legal to own in LA county.

Legal to have in any part of a vehicle in LA county.

Illegal to carry on your person in LA county.

The reason it's illegal to carry on your person is because both LA county and the city of LA (municipality) have a 3" length limit on openly carried knives, and it is illegal everywhere in California to carry any fixed-blade concealed.

There are however exceptions to the length limit on openly carried knives in LA. The length limit does not apply to knives carried for legitimate work, recreational activities, or for purposes of religious worship. However, if you carry a knife with a blade longer than the legal limit based on one of those reasons, you had better be prepared to prove it.

And as far as carrying that knife, or any fixed-blade in a backpack, duffle bag, etc, that has become a legal grey area in California, and unless the bag is secured closed by a lock or zip tie then it is a manner of carry best avoided.

The reason it's illegal to carry on your person is because both LA county and the city of LA (municipality) have a 3" length limit on openly carried knives, and it is illegal everywhere in California to carry any fixed-blade concealed.

There are however exceptions to the length limit on openly carried knives in LA. The length limit does not apply to knives carried for legitimate work, recreational activities, or for purposes of religious worship. However, if you carry a knife with a blade longer than the legal limit based on one of those reasons, you had better be prepared to prove it.

And as far as carrying that knife, or any fixed-blade in a backpack, duffle bag, etc, that has become a legal grey area in California, and unless the bag is secured closed by a lock or zip tie then it is a manner of carry best avoided.
Thank you !

Most of what I carry would be legal about anywhere, but I'm sure glad I already have absolutely zero desire to ever go anywhere near LA county or southern California in general.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are any sort of any added crazy knife laws in the Sacramento area, but I only go there a handful of times per year and I stay out of trouble when I do so I don't really care about any potential laws.
I certainly never worried about that stuff living in the scramento are from ages 8-18, I looked up the CA state knife laws but in the end I kind of figured if they could sell it I could carry it and I doubt I ever carried anything illegal.

Most of what I carry would be legal about anywhere, but I'm sure glad I already have absolutely zero desire to ever go anywhere near LA county or southern California in general.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are any sort of any added crazy knife laws in the Sacramento area, but I only go there a handful of times per year and I stay out of trouble when I do so I don't really care about any potential laws.
I certainly never worried about that stuff living in the scramento are from ages 8-18, I looked up the CA state knife laws but in the end I kind of figured if they could sell it I could carry it and I doubt I ever carried anything illegal.

Down here in San Diego we only have state knife laws. No added restrictions like LA.

so do you think this would be legal in los angeles?

its a 3.1 inch blade, foldable with a clip

Last edited by a moderator:
so do you think this would be legal in los angeles?

its a 3.1 inch blade, foldable with a clip

Legal to own, and legal to carry completely concealed, but going by the letter of the law, it is unlawful to openly carry any knife in Los Angeles if the blade is 3" or longer.

If a cop stopped you for openly carrying that knife, and if they wanted to get hyper-technical about the law, they could determine that the slight extra length makes it illegal to openly carry, and a violation of the law. Never expect cops, or prosecutors to interpret the law in your favor.

As far as how open-carry of folders is defined, it is my understanding that a visible pocket clip attached to a knife, with the clip outside the pocket, can be considered "open carry" because the clip is a clearly visible part of the knife.

Of course there are the exceptions on the blade length limit in Los Angeles law, both county and city for openly carried knives.

All that being said, sometimes the vendor descriptions of knives, including blade length, can be inaccurate. It's possible the blade of that knife is shorter than advertised, but I have no idea.

Also, in regards to knife laws and cops, I personally believe that it is very unlikely that a cop would stop someone for a visible pocket clip, much less arrest them, especially if they aren't engaged in any sort of criminal or annoying behavior. But it's up to each individual to judge that risk for themselves and make their own choice.

My standard policy is to recommend that people follow the letter of the law as closely as they can, and to even make an extra effort to stay on the right side of the law. That's what I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

I’ve asked many LEO’s, many times.. Can I carry a fixed blade?

I’ve been told by each LEO that I can carry a fixed blade ( of any length ) provided it’s not concealed in ANY way. The LEO told me “the knife must be hanging from a belt , visible and in no way concealed”.

I’ve lived in Los Angeles since 84. People don’t like knives here. They stare and feel unsafe ( Karen mentality ). I try to avoid unwanted attention. I’ll stick to legally carrying a 4 inch folder, folded, in my pocket - legal if it’s only open for the purposes of cutting something, not displaying.

I don’t know what to believe these days, things seem to change week to week. My understanding of the Knife laws are: Folders are legal to carry in any length ( if folded and not on display). Fixed blades are legal to open carry if hung from a belt and 100% visible. Autos over 2 inches are illegal. Balis are illegal. OTF is illegal. Double edged fixed is a wobbler of sorts ( Dirk ?, stabbing weapon ).

Off topic - our laws aren’t even enforced anymore. Crime has skyrocketed. Our leaders felt bail was discriminatory towards criminals whom couldn’t afford it - so they did away with it. Nowadays most crimes result in catch / release same day.

For my own piece of mind - I’ll continue to carry a folder , and a fixed blade at certain times ( 2 am walking my dog , knife Hanging from my belt for anyone to see ).

Last edited:
Living in LA county, for me, the law is pretty much this: I don't mess with fixed blades in public, because the county law is the opposite of the State law. No way to legally carry if one law says I must conceal and the other says I must have it open. Question - what about fixed blades of less than 3 inches, like the Mora Eldris, that one is 2.2" long. Can I carry that, either in my pocket or otherwise?

I use common sense with what I pull out, but I like that there is no folder limitations. I don't even have to think about it (unless it is D/E or auto), I just throw it in my pocket. YoJumbo, Espada XL, Voyager, whatever. I like that aspect.

I’ve asked many LEO’s, many times.. Can I carry a fixed blade?

I’ve been told by each LEO that I can carry a fixed blade ( of any length ) provided it’s not concealed in ANY way. The LEO told me “the knife must be hanging from a belt , visible and in no way concealed”.

I’ve lived in Los Angeles since 84. People don’t like knives here. They stare and feel unsafe ( Karen mentality ). I try to avoid unwanted attention. I’ll stick to legally carrying a 4 inch folder, folded, in my pocket - legal if it’s only open for the purposes of cutting something, not displaying.

I don’t know what to believe these days, things seem to change week to week. My understanding of the Knife laws are: Folders are legal to carry in any length ( if folded and not on display). Fixed blades are legal to open carry if hung from a belt and 100% visible. Autos over 2 inches are illegal. Balis are illegal. OTF is illegal. Double edged fixed is a wobbler of sorts ( Dirk ?, stabbing weapon ).

Off topic - our laws aren’t even enforced anymore. Crime has skyrocketed. Our leaders felt bail was discriminatory towards criminals whom couldn’t afford it - so they did away with it. Nowadays most crimes result in catch / release same day.

For my own piece of mind - I’ll continue to carry a folder , and a fixed blade at certain times ( 2 am walking my dog , knife Hanging from my belt for anyone to see ).
It distinctly seemed to me like fixed blades were about entirely illegal in LA, because their law requires you to conceal it, but the state law requires open-carry? So you are breaking one law either way you carry the fixed blade. I was too freaked out to go out with a Mora on my belt in LA county where I am.

But, it's wild, I can carry an Espada XL no problem.

It distinctly seemed to me like fixed blades were about entirely illegal in LA, because their law requires you to conceal it, but the state law requires open-carry? So you are breaking one law either way you carry the fixed blade. I was too freaked out to go out with a Mora on my belt in LA county where I am.

But, it's wild, I can carry an Espada XL no problem.

It's legal to openly carry a fixed-blade in LA if the blade is under 3". It's also legal to openly carry a fixed-blade in LA of any size if you have a legitimate work-related, recreational, or religious faith reason. Those exceptions are specifically written into both LA county and municipal law.

Carrying a concealed fixed-blade is illegal in every part of California. Los Angeles law doesn't contradict that, it simply adds more local restrictions on the size of all openly carried knives.

It works like this- local laws (ordinances) can make things illegal that are otherwise legal under state law, but local laws cannot make something legal that is illegal under state law. Local laws can be made stricter than state laws, but they cannot be made more permissive.

If state law says something is illegal, then it's illegal in every city and county in that state, regardless of what the local ordinances say.

I know what I have extrapolated from the laws now, with a bit more study... and I have not been able to find any more information on the state of folder length laws in LA county. I was under the impression a specific folder length law did not exist. I am hoping this is still the case.

What's your guys' verdict on 4+ inch folders? I love to carry large folders.

I carry a 4 inch folder. As far as I know, it is legal to carry larger folder, as long as it’s folded. If I have it open and it’s not being used to cut tape.. it might not be ok. If I have it in my pocket while open, it’s illegal. If my folder is folded, in my pocket, it is legal. I am also basing this off of California knife laws from last year, as well as what I’ve been told by a few LEO’s.

Unsolicited opinion - Los Angeles is getting worse by the week. I’ve been here since 84.. things have changed dramatically.

I know what I have extrapolated from the laws now, with a bit more study... and I have not been able to find any more information on the state of folder length laws in LA county. I was under the impression a specific folder length law did not exist. I am hoping this is still the case.

What's your guys' verdict on 4+ inch folders? I love to carry large folders.

You can carry any size folder in LA as long as it's carried concealed (with the exception of autos and butterfly knives). Openly carrying any knife with a blade 3" or longer in LA is a crime, unless you have a "legitimate" work, recreational, or religious reason to carry a knife with a blade 3" or longer, and can prove it.

And taking out a knife with a blade 3" or longer in public to use does not violate the "open carry" law.

State law has no such length restrictions. But in this regard local laws supersede state law.

Now that's "the law", but whether or not a person would actually be stopped by an LEO, arrested, or prosecuted for an openly carried knife with a blade 3" or more is another matter.

Back