1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

A quick trip with my sidekick

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Tilley Knife, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Tilley Knife

Tilley Knife I'm Daniel, I make stuff

Jul 6, 2011
    Yesterday, my son and I decided to head out and try to get a bunny or two. He also wanted to try and build a "one stick" fire. He has seen me make these hundreds of times and he has helped with every phase of the process, but this was the first time that he had attempted everything on his own. So, all bundled up, off we went.

[​IMG]

We found lots of tracks but no bunnies. I brought along my grandfather's Mossberg 46MB, circa 1950. I fondly remember trying to lug this 7 lb beast around as a kid. It's a little easier now. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With no bunny action, my son decided that it was time to build a fire and fix some hot cocoa. He settled on a large limb from a blow down that we have been taking advantage of recently. It's high/dry and being pine, it burns easily and quickly. Perfect for a small cooking/warming fire on a quick outing. It is also nice and soft so it's a little easier to process for younger folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using a machete mod and a baton to split the kindling. He did a great job and did it safely.

[​IMG]

Using his Opinel No8 to make some fuzz sticks

[​IMG]

With all the prep completed, it's time to light her up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Success!

[​IMG]

Plenty of time to draw while we wait on hot coals for boiling.

[​IMG]

Reaping the reward

[​IMG]

Since I was carrying my grandpa's rifle, I decided to bring his Old Hickory as well. He likely bought this around the same time as the rifle and it did kitchen duty for years up until his passing. The patina on the blade is all original. I modified it into a kephart(ish) style several years ago.

[​IMG]

My small Camillus half congress on some fuzzys

[​IMG]

Our respective tools for the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

[​IMG]

2. jmh33

jmh33

Mar 16, 2003
    Nice pics!! Kudos to Dad for showing/sharing precious time with your son.. They grow soooo fast!! Shame ya didn't get a bunnie though as that would have been frosting on the cake
    !! But looks like its all good!! Thanks for taking us along!!! John:thumbup:

3. jds1

jds1 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Such a great day for the two of you! Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

4. Tilley Knife

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks guys!

5. daniel4572

daniel4572 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Awesome!!!!!

6. bore

bore

May 20, 2015
    Yep Awsome!!

7. Swampdog

Swampdog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2007
    You're building memories, good for you and your son!
    It's called hunting, not killing for a reason.... a good lesson every hunter learns; your son will appreciate it more when the time comes.
    Thanks for sharing your excellent photos and story.

8. Goetztalon

Goetztalon

Feb 8, 2016
    That looked like a great time!!!

9. Herlock

Herlock Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2015
    It looks you had a great day :thumbup:! Beautiful Nature around as well and I like the “simplicity” of your tools :). It’s always nice to spend time outdoor with the family and the kids really get great memories from this. I still remember the great summer and winter hikes from my childhood/teenage and the good and funny “teaching” from Dad and Mum; the hunting trips with my uncle, where also happened, several times, we just walked the rifles without shooting anything :). Nice post, thanks for sharing.

10. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Good work!!
    Time out with the kids pays off. When they get bigger, they can haul the heavy stuff.:D
    I'd trust my life on my boy.:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

11. Tilley Knife

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks so much everyone! It did make having to go back to school a little challenging this morning......"But daddy, don't you want to go build another fire?" He has also learned tactics like the ole reliable guilt trip ;)

12. supertac916

supertac916

Sep 6, 2014
    Looks like a great time with your son. Those memories will be with him for the rest of his life.

13. Bruce Culberson

Bruce Culberson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 6, 2007
    Looks like you had a great day out with your boy! Thanks for sharing the pics.

That burlap micarta goes great with the Old Hickory:thumbup:.

14. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Great gear and a great day out! My son loves doing things like that as well. Thanks for sharing!

15. loafer

loafer

Jan 14, 2017
    Great that you and your son get in some dirt time. Bet he remembers this day forever :D

16. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Nothing compares to quality time with your children. The Old Hickory mod is one of the nicest I've seen.

17. Tilley Knife

Jul 6, 2011
    Thank you all!

18. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post. My boy looks to be close to the same age as yours and he does not let much time pass between asking me when the next fishing trip is, or when does he get to go hunting with me, or when is it time to go mushroom hunting again. It tends to fill a guy with pride to know that his kids have the same passion for the outdoors that he has.

Thank you for sharing, that was special.

19. TheMadIndian

TheMadIndian Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I really enjoy threads like this, thanks for sharing

20. bore

bore

May 20, 2015
    BTW nice mossberg! I've got its cousin in semi auto