A radical theory, and leaving the world of expensive modern knives behind

Status
Not open for further replies.
20190307_061223-1200x1200.jpg So do you still want to buy my knife or not OP? I know its a bit thick, but i promise its a slicer.:D

Well, this has been a good example of why I dislike internet forums.

My final word here: anyone who can afford web browsing devices can afford to experiment with thin-stock working knives and see for himself that they are better and more practical for nearly anything he ever does with knives in real life in comparison to the thick, heavy, obtuse, overpriced knives that YouTubers try to sell people. Although, if you don't actually have to use knives professionally like me, I suppose you could get away with holding counterproductive opinions and taste for your entire life without serious issues.

Goodbye.

My final word here: anyone who can afford web browsing devices can afford to experiment with thin-stock working knives and see for himself that they are better and more practical for nearly anything he ever does with knives in real life in comparison to the thick, heavy, obtuse, overpriced knives that YouTubers try to sell people. Although, if you don't actually have to use knives professionally like me, I suppose you could get away with holding counterproductive opinions and taste for your entire life without serious issues.

Goodbye.

I didn't read a single post in this thread, and I didn't have to. It was obviously trolling from post #1. You're clearly delusional, and only here to troll. :poop: Your opinion is grossly obtuse and fatally flawed. Don't let the door hit you in the ass! Later tater. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wait, before you go - could you provide a bit more substantiation on the following:

I've been collecting hundreds of knives of every description for 15 years, since I was a child, including countless survival and combat knives costing hundreds of dollars.

I am also a professional butcher and use my own knives that I personally sharpen for 50 hours per week at work.

I've chopped down acres worth of trees with every implement known to man.

I've turned pine snags 9" in diameter into piles of split firewood using nothing but 3" folding knives.

I've had nearly every heavy chopping knife under the sun; Ontarios, ESEEs, Condors, Beckers, TOPS, you name it.

A piece of mild steel from Home Depot in my hands is better than any knife ever made in the hands of the average blade guy out there.

I even make my own magnetic sheaths to carry knives upside-down with no retention mechanism.

I can easily process over 1000 pounds of meat and cardboard on a hard cutting board on a busy day and generally do nothing to my knives throughout that day but strop them once or twice.

I have gotten a splitting maul shaving sharp.

I processed a tree with a pocket knife to prove that the task could be done.

Goodbye.

Well. I am just so grateful that you graced us with your presence, and shared what could only be an infinitesimal shard of your limitless knowledge and experience. I'm sure we are all less idiotic now that we have it.

I was really hoping you would share your story of when you killed a grizzly using only the tweezers from your Vic Classic, then used the SAK to reduce a redwood forest to splinters.

I read part of page 1 and page 11. If the OP is happy, then I am happy. Everyone needs to find what does or doesn't work for them.

On an unrelated note, I once fell (felled?) a tree with nothing but my rapier like wit. Too bad my phone my wasn't close by or I would have made a video. True story tho.

I would like to know where he works. I have been a meat cutter for 45 years (next month) and wages in the industry are..."modest"... to say the least. I wish I could afford a throw away knife like a CRK or a Shiro or an Olamic....

Goodbye.

So you mean exaggerated hyperbole on a forum dedicated to the hobby of collecting and using knives that denigrates the purchases and personal philosophies of use was met wet with some friction? Huh..well, whod have thunk it.

No one is here to find one particular knife that will do everything. No one here is buying hundreds or thousands of knives in fits of frustration, screaming at the heavens, "Why! Why can't I find a knife that will best cut the crust off a peanut butter sandwich AND build a rustic log cabin?!"

This place is very much about wants. Anyone with internet connection and the time to post on a forum is beyond a station in life where they need to find a perfect do it all tool.

I appreciate the academic topic, but the lead in with your epiphany comes across as purposefully binary and divisive. This is coming from a guy who heavily favors a knife design that traces a lineage back 1000s of years and is used by people in the world who literally do pretty much everything from harvesting wood to cooking dinner with one knife.

Goodbye.
If we promise to miss you will you stay away?

You know that the old reliable 1992 Nissan Sentra/Tsuru with its zero star safety rating is the ultimate automobile that will last forever. If you doubt me, all that I can say is that thousands of Mexican cab drivers and tens of millions of private citizens who have driven one over the past 25 years agree with me. Porsche? Bah!!!!!!:p

Well. I am just so grateful that you graced us with your presence, and shared what could only be an infinitesimal shard of your limitless knowledge and experience. I'm sure we are all less idiotic now that we have it.

I was really hoping you would share your story of when you killed a grizzly using only the tweezers from your Vic Classic, then used the SAK to reduce a redwood forest to splinters.

Come on Marci, you know that to reduce a redwood forest to splinters, a SAK classic is woefully inadequate. You need at least a Case peanut!:eek:

As mentioned before, I think a good point was made that we could use the simpler knives to do the things we need to cut and if we have the skills set to use such knives than that is a good thing. That appeals to me and others and that is okay, it meets my needs. It works for me. Simpler is better, but not the notion that simpler knives will replace some of the great stufff that has come along with technological advancement. I also have modern knives and steels, but I do not criticize others who like more newer and modern steels, it may work for them. I just wish the hyperbole in the OP's first post could have been left out and could of saved a lot of the arguing back and forth. We can agree to disagree, and still be respectful. I have an opinion on a lot of things, but it would be foolish of me to express it if I am not adding to the conversation or if I just wanted to be heard.

P.s. I am still working on this myself, but some good advice I heard was, "we have two ears and one mouth, use them in that proportion and we will be okay." Listen more than you speak if one cannot get the point.

Last edited:
D1536FFD-3AAC-4EE5-8B90-53602CBF66AF.jpeg There are so many modern designs in great steels with top notch heat treats that aren’t to thick or obtuse. They can slice, dice, baton, pry (lightly) and precision chop without missing a beat. I like my tools to be as versatile as possible, not a one trick pony. Recently I’ve been loving my Carothers Fk2.

It's possible, but I doubt it, given that sharpening has been an obsession of mine for over a decade. The last person who said they thought they could sharpen better than me had never seen a strop and didn't know what it was, thought 1000 grit sandpaper from the hardware store gave the ultimate finish to an edge, had never heard the term "micron" before, and thought 25 degrees per side was good for a kitchen knife. He wasn't half-bad in spite of all of that though.

But given that you've apparently been an active poster on a forum dedicated to knives for 11 years, I wouldn't be surprised if you were as good or better than me at sharpening. I don't claim to be the best in the world. You don't have to prove anything to me.

At this point, I feel like you've completely made up these encounters in your head, and are using them as "proof" of your imagined superiority. You may have met someone in your life, sure, that are clueless about knives. However, there are probably just as many (if not more) people walking around you every day in person who know far more than you about knives and sharpening, who just don't feel the need to try to assert that superiority. Your entire position is just ridiculous. I'm not even certain what your goal was in posting this trash. "Oh snap, he's totally right with his "radical theory", let me just sell all my expensive, mega-sharp* modern super-steel knives, and buy an entire truckload of Old Hickory knives, so I can be a super knife user like this guy." Then, I need to get me one of those sweet "upside down magnetic" holsters for my ten inch OH fixed blade I'm going to carry around instead. Yeeeaaaaahhhhhh (puts on sunglasses).

*Oh wait, sorry, forgot, I don't know how to sharpen, because I'm not this guy Chopoholic, THAT guy cuts down entire acres of trees with a machete on the regular!

Last edited:

Goodbye.

Never did you stop to think for one minute that maybe some of us have tried something like you are suggesting, and we like what we like due to the experiences we've had. You said yourself that you were giving up moderns on a trial basis. A lot of people around here dislike overly thick knives just like you do, but we don't attempt to "bully" people to get our point across. Your distaste for internet forums is due to your sour attitude, most people who come in with a good attitude will spark a great conversation and be well received. Speak your mind and let people who disagree do their own thing. I don't mean any of this harshly, just trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back