1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

A Rarely Seen Fire Starting Gadget !

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by pitdog, Dec 31, 2011.

1. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    I'm not even sure what these are called ?

Basically they are just a tin with a section that has been cut and pushed in to blow through and a wooden base so your fingers don't get burnt !In the tin is some dry tinder and a piece of Tinder fungus....you can also use Char cloth.

I prepped some other tinder as seen in the pic.

[​IMG]

I lit the Tinder fungus and covered it over with the other tinder....you can just see some faint smoke rising !

[​IMG]

Now to blow it into flame~

[​IMG]

And within seconds we have fire~

[​IMG]

Now to empty some of this onto my secondary tinder~

[​IMG]

I also figured I'd try some seed pods ( Flash Tinder ) with some Balsam resin added to create a prolonged burn~

[​IMG]

Second strike we had fire !!!

[​IMG]

No suprise what knife I had !:D

[​IMG]

2. canadiantrailman

canadiantrailman

Jan 11, 2010

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
  4. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I know at least one person who sells fire piston kits on that auction site includes one in the kit. That is where I got mine.

5. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Knew an old dude who used his pipe in a similar fashion.

6. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    EBprimitives for ~ $10.

Jeff

7. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Yes sir, that's the one. I could not remember the name of the seller, but you nailed it on the head. Thanks!

8. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    That tin is pretty cool. By the looks of your knife pitdog it is getting some use:thumbup::D

Bryan

9. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    It sure is but I must confess that I forced a patina....the weather is so wet right now that I felt it needed a little extra protection !

10. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    It looks like you did a good job on the forced patina. I bet it helps with the wetness in your area.

11. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    Hi Canadiantrailman,

I also am really intrigued with the fire-cup 'thing' and so i did a little search on round, metal tins and came up with a number of great options. However, i found one that is stainless steel and looks *fantastic*.

I know i can't post a link, but the name of the seller and their product is:

to-goware.com

and the name of the item is called:

small sidekick

I think making a smaller fire in a container can make the early stage of larger-fire building more convenient and having the little, hand-held cup as PD did looks pretty interesting. I'm intrigued....

12. upnorth

upnorth Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Quite interesting as always.:thumbup: If I'm not careful I might learn a few things around here. :D

13. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M

Apr 14, 2006
    Especially from Pit

:)

14. Tuxdad

Tuxdad

Feb 15, 2008
    I've got three or more of those floating around that I made from some candle tins I picked up at the local doolar store.. Love using mine when I have a chance..

Good stuff Sir !!

This vid might help also, for those interested in a DIY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-THZ7XGR9Io

15. coaldigger

coaldigger

Jan 27, 2007
    Good stuff Pit, Thanks for sharing !

16. nuckingfuts

nuckingfuts

Dec 20, 2011
    Thats pretty neat, I might have to rig something like that up!

17. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007

I am not making them anymore. Although they are quite easy to make - 10 dollars from EB Primitives is a great price - and is where I got the idea. Also, the seller is a GREAT guy.

If you want to find the tins I used - try this place: http://www.specialtybottle.com/metalcontainers.aspx

This has the hinged tins (Altoid style) as well as the round tins. Then I used cedar and a hole saw to cut a circle slightly larger than the tin - and small screws to hook them together. Use a Dremel with a cut off disk to cut an X in the side and push the tabs in. Then use Cedar bark inside.

When you use it - get your coal and fire going - and then use the tins lid to snuff the fire out. You want to do this quickly because the more char you leave inside - the easier it takes a spark the next time. (You will also need to use a bandanna or something to cover the X in the side to full snuff it).

TF

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  18. InquisitorLord

InquisitorLord

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys!

19. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
    Let me say this - for 10 bucks from EB Primatives - you can't beat that price. He sells AWESOME fire pistons as well for a great price.

TF

20. cbwoods67

cbwoods67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Very interesting.
    I suppose that if in a situation that necessitated it, you could make one of these out of a beer or pop can.
    Seems like there always aluminum cans that get thrown in the woods.