A Salt Series Dyad: Coming Our Way!

I'm so happy about the news I just heard concerning the possible new release of a Salt Series Dyad :cool: I love the original C-44 Dyad model so much that I just can't wait to get my hands on a Salt Series Dyad. Not sure why the other prototype of the Salt Dyad didn't come to market but I heard about 6 reasons from various people. However what I heard today indicates that we are close to a Salt Series Dyad.

I do hope it's close to being the same size range as the C-44 model of the past. I've been a huge Dyad fan for years now and this news couldn't come at a better time. I know that Salt Series fans like Brother SURF, Yablanowitz and a few other Dyad and Salt Series fans are going to be happy to hear this news.

What do you all think about the possibility of a LC200N plain edged blade and an H-1 Spyderedged blade. I think that would be a perfect ticket for a serious hard use, double bladed folder. Well I know there are more of you glad to hear this great news :cool:

This really baffles me as to why there are so many over at the other Spyderco forum who have been begging for a Salt Series Dyad but here at this Forum I don't even get any responses o_O. A Salt Series Dyad truly has the potential of being one of Spyderco's best hard use knives ever. I just hope that they design some type of lanyard hole or hook because I lot of serious fishermen who would love a Salt Dyad would also want it on a lanyard as to not lose it overboard.

With the newer LC200N, nitrogen based blade steel I don't think there could be a better time for such a knife to come to market. They use the LC200N on the TUSK model but they don't make the TUSK available in Spyderedge which I just can't understand.

Sounds great to me. Perfect working steel for this little champ.

I have an OG with micarta.

I'd like to say "I'm in", but I'd probably be lying if I did. I'll have to see it before I endorse it. As much as I love my C44 and as much as I like VG-10, the Sprint Dyad was kind of a bummer, as was the Sprint Calypso. The bulk and weight of the full steel liners killed them for me, and until I see what Sal comes up with for a Salt Dyad, I'm keeping my expectations safely low. I live way too far from water to care about corrosion resistance.

I'd like to say "I'm in", but I'd probably be lying if I did. I'll have to see it before I endorse it. As much as I love my C44 and as much as I like VG-10, the Sprint Dyad was kind of a bummer, as was the Sprint Calypso. The bulk and weight of the full steel liners killed them for me, and until I see what Sal comes up with for a Salt Dyad, I'm keeping my expectations safely low. I live way too far from water to care about corrosion resistance.

I see what you're saying YAB and I sort of see where you're coming from as well. However I don't just deem those H-1 or LC200N blades as only being good around salt water I see them as being great in many types of harsh environments as well. The weight of a folder just isn't that big of a factor for me personally but I can see why some people wouldn't like it. Like my older Chinook 3 a lot of people wouldn't like that knife because of it's perceived excess weight and bulk>> but to me it felt rigid and the times I did use it I used it confidently even in hard use.

Even in our harsh mid-western USA summers I find a Salt Dyad to be something I would very much like to have because I tend to sweat a lot in hot weather and it can be a problem corrosion-wise in which a Salt Dyad just might be the best ticket.

Well let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best because I'm with you 100% on the original C-44 Dyad and I also love mine dearly and do use it on occasion>> but I would also welcome a better Dyad model as well.

I'm not usually into the multi-bladed knives but I like the blade shapes on this one a lot, reminds me of a crocodile

I see what you're saying YAB and I sort of see where you're coming from as well. However I don't just deem those H-1 or LC200N blades as only being good around salt water I see them as being great in many types of harsh environments as well. The weight of a folder just isn't that big of a factor for me personally but I can see why some people wouldn't like it. Like my older Chinook 3 a lot of people wouldn't like that knife because of it's perceived excess weight and bulk>> but to me it felt rigid and the times I did use it I used it confidently even in hard use.

Even in our harsh mid-western USA summers I find a Salt Dyad to be something I would very much like to have because I tend to sweat a lot in hot weather and it can be a problem corrosion-wise in which a Salt Dyad just might be the best ticket.

Well let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best because I'm with you 100% on the original C-44 Dyad and I also love mine dearly and do use it on occasion>> but I would also welcome a better Dyad model as well.

We lack the humidity you have there, so no matter how much I sweat, it dries before it gets to my knives. Even ATS-34 is plenty corrosion resistant for me. The cutting performance of LC200N in the Mule Team didn't impress me, and my Maxamet Mule Team knife didn't rust (or even patina) in my use. My needs differ from yours.

The steel is the heart of the knife, the heat treatment is the soul of the steel, but the handle is the user interface. An uncomfortable interface can ruin enjoyment very quickly. Windows 10 has pretty much ended my computer use. Bulky, heavy handles could just as easily end my Spyderco use. I'd hate to see that happen, but if that's the direction the market wants to go, I'll wave goodbye and sincerely wish them the best of luck.

I could see myself getting one, but I'm still finding my way with serrated blades. there was a time where I thought combo-edges were great, but over time, like many, I soured to them, and thus soured to serrations in general. That being said, my little salt manbug is changing that, such a great little knife, and being coastal, I love the maintenance free aspect. make it a straight FRN, and I can see it happening for me. Lanyard hole would be interesting, any way to do a liner-lanyard with a lockback? I wouldn't think so... maybe a lanyard plate that matched the opposing pocket clip holes, so you could go clipless if you wanted to, or layer it over top, or opposed.

JD, maybe I missed it but was it confirmed that this Dyad Salt was going to be the C44? The C39 Dyad Jr was a linerless frn knife. My hunch is that the Dyad Jr would be an easy knife to transition to the Salt lineup. I think there is a good chance we are actually talking about a C39 Salt. I have wanted one for a long time.

C39 is what I'm picturing

discontinued-spyderco-c39-sbk-dyad-jr_1_3ff75e234c2b12cc449a8454ff2a8769.jpg

If it's a 39, I'll get a few.

Now I did like the original Micarta version of the Dyad Jr. but I wasn't all that much for the FRN version. No I want to see a Salt Dyad in a folder either close to or exactly the size of the C-44 Dyad ( the big Dyad). Because I would actually use this knife to do hard work with and the work I've been doing requires a bigger blade. That's why I've made the M390 Military my main EDC over the past two years or so.

I would love to see the return of the regular C-44 Dyad in one of the Supersteels or give each blade it's own steel>> like maybe an LC200N Spyderedged blade and an M-4 plain edged. You wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves I'm sure of it.

Now I did like the original Micarta version of the Dyad Jr. but I wasn't all that much for the FRN version. No I want to see a Salt Dyad in a folder either close to or exactly the size of the C-44 Dyad ( the big Dyad). Because I would actually use this knife to do hard work with and the work I've been doing requires a bigger blade. That's why I've made the M390 Military my main EDC over the past two years or so.

I would love to see the return of the regular C-44 Dyad in one of the Supersteels or give each blade it's own steel>> like maybe an LC200N Spyderedged blade and an M-4 plain edged. You wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves I'm sure of it.
Never thought of different alloyed blades. An m4/h1 or lc200n combo would be great.
From my experience, the weakness in most well made knives is the blade (steel). I've seen way way more broken/damaged blades than any other part of the knife. I figure if m390 is holding up well to your hard use, FRN would be no problem.

Never thought of different alloyed blades. An m4/h1 or lc200n combo would be great.
From my experience, the weakness in most well made knives is the blade (steel). I've seen way way more broken/damaged blades than any other part of the knife. I figure if m390 is holding up well to your hard use, FRN would be no problem.

The only Spyderco blade steel that I've had with chipping or edge retention problem with has been S30V. I did also have one minor blade damage with a 440V blade but that was probably part my fault because I was really being brutal to it during one job in particular.
That's really weird when I think about it because overall I've had really good luck throughout the years with steels made by Crucible Powder Metallurgy. But I've never liked S30V for a lot of reasons.

Yeah M390 has endured my cutting jobs about as good as anything I've used over the years. And the edge retention has been unbelievable. I would love to try XHP in Spyderedge because it seems like a steel that would perform well in Spyderedge.

But a Salt Dyad just makes perfect sense for a blade to be used in harsh and/or corrosive conditions.

Back