A scoutknife, and Mr. Van.

Looking back on my life I realize I had the blessed fortune to have some good mentors. There was my waterman grandad who tought me the love and repect of the water, the marshes rich with waterfowl and deer hunting. My dad, who I learned more from than many others, about love of country and duty. Andy Warden, the old machinist who brought me back to reality, and Mr. Van. The last one being our scoutmaster of troop 469.

The boy scouts are a fine experiance for a boy, getting out in nature with men he can learn from. Many skills are tought, woodsmanship, first aid, campcrafts, and most of all, the art of using a pocket knife for almost everything.

My dad realizing he would be gone often on overseas trips got me into the scouts. He wanted me to grow up having the same outdoors experiances he had, and he trusted the scout troop at our church in Wheaton Maryland. At that point in time Wheaton was a little crossroads out in rural rolling countryside, the suburban sprawl that was to come in twenty years had'nt happened yet. All around our little developement was woods. Glorious easteren hardwood forest type of woods. Being from a land of flat salt marshes and piney woodds, this was different, and I loved it. Big sprawling oaks, maples, towering poplars. And along the creeks and damp ground were the huge white sycamores. All this in hilly coutryside with deep gullies and creekbeds.

My dad figured with the boy scouts I would get to thoughly explore this new world, and he was right. The small troop sponcered by our church was made up of the local nieghborhood kids, and I soon made friends and fit in. In turn we were led by Mr. Van.

As scoutmaster, Mr. Van led us as if we were a company of Marines like he had led in the war. A tall ramrod strait figure, he cut an imposing form with short cut silvery hair, and an air about him that no slack was to be tolerated. A rugged type, he was sort of a Sam Elliot type of figure with a grey/silver moustache that never had a single hair out of place. Personally, I don't think there was a hair that dared to be out of place. If the boy scout regulations said that the troop number was to be one inch below the shoulder seam, then it had not be 3/4 of an inch, or even an inch and an 1/8. He would inspect our troop every Friday evening at the start of a meeting, and whoa to the scout who was slack. But as much as we sometimes feared him, we reveared him. We even went and got our hair cut short like he had, in a military style. The moustaches would have to wait another decade or so.

Aside from being a strick scoutmaster, he was a man of many talents that us boys had mighty respect for. He was great with a knife. Mr. Van was an expert whittler, and he had whittled custom neckkerchief rings in many figures. One he wore was a head of an indian he said was Sitting Bull. Another was a walnut ring with Nordic looking geometric lines entwining around the whole ring. Sometimes durring the meetings in the church basement, he would whittle with a small serpintine two blade jack that he had the small blade honed like a scalple. Other times he would use his genuine Russell barlow. It became obvious after a while that Mr. Van liked his pocket knives, and had good taste in brand and quality. When Mr. Van took out a knife to whittle we all tried to move a bit closer to see what he had that day. But the materpiece was his scout knife.

Durring the depression many companies went under, among them knife companies. Some of these companies were offshoots of the gun companies like Remington. Some of the nicest knives were made by Remington, with thick brass liners and jigged bone and stag handles. Like Mr. Vans Remington scout knife.

He had it hanging by the official boy scout belt shackle in plain sight, just to torment us I suppose. Dark rich brown jigged bone scales, with nickle silver bolsters. On the rare occasion that a scout would get up the nerve to ask to see it, Mr. Van would unclip it and we'd get to handle it with great reverence. Maybe the memories are rose colored, but it seems to me that the brass liners were almost twice as think as our later day scout knives, and the bone scales thicker as well. Even at our young age, when we handled our knives after Mr. Van's, ours seemed a bit less of a scout knife. Of course scout knives being like TL-29's, had a long list of "official" makers, and probably as long a list of unofficial "official" makers. There must have been some manufacturing variance.

On campouts Mr. Van would show us survival tricks in the woods, using our pocket knives in the camp crafts merit badge program. He showed us how to take down a good size sappling without a hatchet, using our scout knives to make a V-groove around the base of the tree to create a stress line for it to break off at when bent over. We may not have a hatchet or sheath knife with us in an emergency, he'd tell us, but we should always have a pocket knife. He also showed us how to use our official scout sheath knives with the stacked leather washer handle, to split wood by battoning in case we did not have a hatchet, to get at some dry wood to get a campfire going. He was a good teacher and we learned well. He'd watch as we broke the dead wood into lenghts and quartered it by battoning with our sheath knives, and cut a little pile of shavings of dry wood. Then he'd give us our one match, and one match only. He'd show us how to do it by example, and he made it look so easy. he even had a cool way of lighting the barn burner strike anywhere matches by flicking the head with his thumb nail. We copied that too, and practiced flicking the matchhead with a thumb nail. It got to the point we all could copy his style untill Bobby Ryerson did it one day, and a piece of the matchhead broke off under his thumb nail. We thought he was doing a Hopi fire dance or something untill we figured out his screams were shrieks of agony. It was pretty spectactular, how burning phosphorus can melt a thumb nail. It gave us food for thought, and we'd just use a rock or something from then on.

But the hight of Mr. Vans skill with his knife came at a jamboree. Our little troop went to an east coast gathering of scouts down in Virginia, and it was a glorious time of outdoors games, competitions, hikes, night bonfires and cookouts. In addition to camp craft competitions by the scouts, the scout masters also took part. One afternoon there came the contest to make the perfect fuzz stick. Now in those days the fuzz stick was considered by the official boy scout manual to be a very important thing to be able to do well. Not only was it a judge of your carving, but it was good to get a fire going. Mr. Van and some of the other troops scoutmasters sat down one afternoon in the big tent by the headquaters and went to it.

We watched with baited breath to see which knife he would use. With slow deliberateness he unclipped the Remington scout knife from his belt and then took off his leather baskett weave belt with the silver ranger buckle. Laying the belt inside up, he slowly stropped his scout knife before he started. All the scout masters had an equal size piece of dry wood. They set to work.

Going slowly they all started getting thin little curls of wood. We watched Mr. Van with rapt attention. He worked slowly, using a slow pushcut to curl the wood. He always told us that a good curl should be thin enough to read a newspaper through. One by one the other soutmasters finished. It was inevitable that some curls would break off durring the chore. Most of the ones who finished had small wood chips that they brushed from thier laps when they stood, but so far Mr. Van only had two little chips fall. Finally Mr. Van was the only one left still carving. In the hot summer heat, most everyone once in a while mopped thier brow with a bandana. Not Mr. Van. He looked as cool and relaxed as if he were back at the church basement. He seemed it ignore everything exept the stick of wood in his left hand.

Finally he stood up and just those two little chips fell from his lap, and he walked straitbacked to the judges table and laid his fuzz stick in front of them. It was so perfect, it may well have been a picture from our official boy scout handbook. Each curl was translucent, and so long there were as many as three or four layers in it, like a clock spring. Mr. Van had only had those two curls fall of and he was the hands down winner. It was the perfect example of the official fuzz stick.

Slowly he wiped off the dark grey blade of the Remington, and hung it back on his belt. I think it was at the east coast jamboree that Mr.Van became a demi-god to troop 469.

But true deity status would come later with his shooting exibition using his little .22 BSA Martini.

Another great story. Your stories make me remember things I haven't thought about in 30+ years. Thank you. I'm an old Eagle Scout myself. Troop 38, Adams, Mass.

Will you PLEASE write a book!

I'm afraid our Scoutmaster wasn't all that great. We managed to camp once as a Troop and once we went to a winter jamboree which missed out on snow. You were definitely blessed with that fine example!

We were bemoaning today how "sensitive" the military has become in relation to where it used to be. A couple of us older, former soldiers were joking that one of our younger fellows needed some wall to wall counseling. He didn't know what that was. When it was explained to him he was wide-eyed. LOL.

Great tale, Jackknife. Just don't leave us hanging on the next part where Mr. Van achieves full deity! Man, to have had a mentor like that, or any of the other great ones you've had. You have been a very fortunate man. And we have fortunate you decided to include us in these reminiscences! Like everyone else, I'm throughly enjoying them.

I've had a couple leaders in that league. :)

I went through the Scouts too- Eagle and a National Jamboree. My Scoutmaster was about as useful as a bag of hair, but some of the Assistants were legend. Learned a lot, and continue to use it every single day. :)

Jackknife if you haven't been told before I hope you would plan to publish your stories for prosperity. I can always get spellbound just going through what you have wrote. I know you have been told you have talent - keep it up.. Mike Miller

You guys are getting to be as insistant as my family. My daughter was over here the other night offering to tape and transcribe my ramblings. She and my son got me a bit lubed with a few stiff toddies, and she got about 4 or five hours of tape. I'll put them out here if you want, some are funny, some are a bit sad. Thier a mixture of boyhood, army years (61 to 72), some physical re-hab when I had to learn to use my right leg again, and some post army.

I'm not real sure how to go about gettng a book published.:confused:

You guys are getting to be as insistant as my family. My daughter was over here the other night offering to tape and transcribe my ramblings. She and my son got me a bit lubed with a few stiff toddies, and she got about 4 or five hours of tape. I'll put them out here if you want, some are funny, some are a bit sad. Thier a mixture of boyhood, army years (61 to 72), some physical re-hab when I had to learn to use my right leg again, and some post army.

We definitely want! That's why we keep bugging you to write a book JK, we love to hear your stories and your ramblings:)

Thanks for yet another trip back in time to a kinder, gentler place. Some of my best boyhood memories are of my time in the scouts.

As far as the tapes..... yea. I would listen.

As far as publishing your "ramblings". Get them on paper. After that, send them to a few publications that go along with your themes. TK Knives, Blade Mag, Backwoods Mag, or Knives Illustrated.

I would be willing to bet, one if not many/many more of your stories would be printed in the "Letters to the editor" section. You also have a good chance of being contacted by one or more for a specific write up. After that, a major publisher would be in order.

Once you have something in print, you're chances of being published is far greater. I have a list of publishers and would be happy to email contact info if you wish. Just send me a PM. You could do this JK. I'm no editor by any streach..... but I know I'm not the only one what would love to read your so called "ramblings" ;) :D :thumbup:

Just remember JK, if you follow Tarmix101's advice and send some of your stuff to the different mags and stuff, let us know so we can keep a watch for them. I occasionally read blade mag and others at the book store, but rarely buy it, but I think I could be troubled to spend the money to read more of your stuff.

Just remember JK, if you follow Tarmix101's advice and send some of your stuff to the different mags and stuff, let us know so we can keep a watch for them. I occasionally read blade mag and others at the book store, but rarely buy it, but I think I could be troubled to spend the money to read more of your stuff.

Aw, come on man. I could'nt charge any of you guys if I get something published, it'd be like charging family!. If I ever do, I'll send you all a copy free.

I don't know how many years its been since I read any of the knife or gun magazines out there now. The last time I was in print was the old Knifeworld when Houston Price was editor and ramrod over there. Houston was a great guy to work with. Last time I saw him was last February at Bill Moran's funeral up here. Sad way to get together with old aquantances, the passing of an old friend. Seems to be happening more as I get older.:(

Jacknife, another phenomenal post. This world needs more men like you. Not old frat boys reliving their glory days, but men who can articulate experiences. Experiences that not only enrich the lives of those around them but pass on a heritage that our country is quickly losing sight of. Keep em coming.

Aw, come on man. I could'nt charge any of you guys if I get something published, it'd be like charging family!. If I ever do, I'll send you all a copy free.

I don't know how many years its been since I read any of the knife or gun magazines out there now. The last time I was in print was the old Knifeworld when Houston Price was editor and ramrod over there. Houston was a great guy to work with. Last time I saw him was last February at Bill Moran's funeral up here. Sad way to get together with old aquantances, the passing of an old friend. Seems to be happening more as I get older.:(

I'd rather read your stuff than half the crap they're printing in those mags these days! I've let most of my subscriptions run out. Its just the same old recycled stuff over and over again. I want to read something I can relate to for a change, stuff like you write about.
Scott

Jackknife:
Every time I log on to the forums, I do it in the hope that you've written another of your great stories.
This one was particularly good for me, as I always wanted to go to the scouts as a kid, but never had the chance since the nearest scout group was too far away for my parents to get me there. This story made me realise what I've missed.

As for your "ramblings" - well, you should listen to your daughter. Ask her to come over again with that tape recorder and have a few more toddies. And then please have it published.
I think the world need a lot more of your "ramblings". Having them published would mean there's a least one sensible voice out there for folks to read and enjoy.

/ Karl

I like your stories and most of all how you tell them without hurry.
Makes me want to have a extraordinary Scoutknife,
Why dont queen make one? Or anyone else.

Bosse

I like your stories and most of all how you tell them without hurry.
Makes me want to have a extraordinary Scoutknife,
Why dont queen make one? Or anyone else.

Bosse

Nirre, your question is a good one, and one that runs the risk of me going off on a rambling tangent against this cookie cutter world we find ourselves living in.

Once upon a time, every company that produced knives, and I do mean just about every company, made a scout knife. And not just American companies. The scouts actually were started in England, and brought to America. But with the fading of scouting, I guess the scout knife has faded as well. The headquarters of the boy scout organization in Washington made a statement that fewer and fewer youngsters are joining the boy scouts because it's not "cool" or for geeks. I guess instead its more cool to hang out at the mall eating junk food and not doing or learning anything usedful. Maybe its reflective of the times. Maybe an organization teaching self reliance, morals like in the scout oath, outdoor skills and appretiation of nature does not fit in with this materialistic, imoral world we live in. Morals can get in the way of profitable behavior like looting your companies funds leaving your employees broke. They guys at Enron and Worldcom were hardly boy scout material. I can only wonder what kind of parents they had.

Why arn't there scout knives anymore? Maybe nobody cares about much anymore. Most of the young parents are so self centered that all they care about is getting the next bigger SUV that they don't need, just for the status of it, or the bigger home in the McMansion suburb, that they have no time left for caring about what lessons their kids are getting from all that. If they don't care I guess the kids won't care either. That means less kids in scouting. No demand for the product.

And I guess the multi-tool has replaced the scout knife. I don't own a multitool, never have. I've looked at them, and I can see how in some cases they could be usefull, but it's just a tool. Has about as much soul as a garden trowl. Again reflective of the times. I can only wonder at the society that looses its appretiation of beauty in an object. When the only thing that matters is sheer function, with no room for a warm touch. I was at the range the other day, and I felt sad looking at these young men. All the other guns were the black AR's. I had the only rifle with a walnut stock and blued steel. Now I'm not knocking the black guns, but to these young guys, all that mattered was they had the gun all the gun magazines raved about. Yes they shoot well, and maybe my memories are clouded by my nightmares of the uglyness of war, but to me they have no "human" feel. Its like something a Arnold Swartzeneger terminator would use. Just robotic function. Like a multitool. I don't wish to dis Leatherman, but if I want a tool kit, I'll carry one. I'm willing to bet all those young guys got into guns by reading gun magazines and not by having a caring parent or grandparent teach them. To me, a cold design is reflective of a cold society. Like tactical knives.

I guess there is no scout knives because the world moved on to another era, and like all good things, they sooner or later fall by the wayside when some new trend makes them obsolite. Then the only people who will still use them will be frosty whiskered old codgers like me, who also still shoot old wood stocked rifles that, imagine this, you still have to cycle the action by hand.

Sorry guys, I think I went off on a small rant.

Hi All ! Just like to add my twopence worth from across the pond ! Scout knives are still made in Norway and I think Helle and Brusletto make versions. The Speiderkniv is a thin fixed blade not unlike a Mora and comes with a thin metal guard. When the scout is deemed to be a safe knife user, the guard is snapped off, or so I have been told by Norwegian friends.
In Scotland our scouts get an axe and knife certificate when they have shown they can use both safely. My daughter got hers last week :)

Back