A second look at Estwing axes

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
Awhile back I tried out an Estwing camping axe, it was an exercise in frustration. The handle requires a "baseball bat" swing, the head bound readily in the wood, and the handle bent while prying out wood chips. The edge was also really soft, filed easily, and had a soft floppy burr. In short, it had about the worst set of properties imaginable for an axe. Its only advantage was that the one piece construction made it very durable. In that respect you have to give it credit, my brother has been using it extensively and the poll has mushroomed from heavy impacts and it is still in one piece.

This weekend I touched up the edge on one for a friend (the twenty six inch model. The edge was also fairly obtuse for a wood cutting axe, but more acute than a lot of tactical knives. The bit was 0.065" thick behind the edge which was ground at 20 (1) degrees per side. The steel was as I remember, soft, very easy to file more so than the Martindale machetes for example. It took a razor edge with no difficultly with a series of waterstones after the edge was set with a file. We then took it out for some use.

Comparing it to the GB Wildlife hatchet, the Estwing had about a 25% increase in penetration (compared the number of hits required to fell a dozen small trees with each), significantly lower than expected given the larger handle. However the Estwing doesn't have the fluid axe swing, and the edge is a lot thicker than the Wildlife hatchet. The handle on the Estwing is also abrasive in heavy swings which tends to limit power in extended use. In addition, with really heavy swings the head tends to bind as the head is hollow ground, and it tends to glance fairly readily unless the angles of attack are higher than optimal which all limit performance.

It was then used to buck up the trees, not because they needed it, as they were only 4-6" thick, but just to examine the chopping performance further. While the penetration was again greater than the Wildlife hatchet, the hatchet was more fluid in the wood and was actually more efficient from a time perspective as well as fatigue. The Estwing however did allow to work closer to the ground without having to either bend far over or kneel down which is nice. The real benefit of the Estwing for tree cutting came when limbing the trees. Due to the metal one piece design, even close ingrowth limbs could be clipped off with no concern about impacts to the handle under the head which can be problematic for wooden grips.

Comparing the two whittling woods, carving, shaping and general utility (food prep and such), the Estwing was completely outclassed. The Wildlife Hatchet was many times over more functional due to the more efficient edge geometry and more managable ergonomics, choking up on the Estwing isn't very functional.

In short, I would readily pick the Wildlife hatchet over the Estwing for general wood working, if the comparison had been between a more comparable GB product like the small forest axe, the work would have been even more lopsided. It also didn't even take into account the greater edge holding of the GB products which would give them a further advantage, plus the harder steel allows for more acute edges at a given durability.

Though I will give the Estwing more credit than previous, while it still is not as fluid as the Gransfors Bruks axes in wood, it isn't as bad as some large knives I have seen like the PAB from Strider, and in that respect I would pick the Estwing over some of the larger knives I have used, though again as noted it is readily outperformed by a decent axe. It really only shines where you need high durability in a beater, something to chop sods, roots, or just stand up to abuse from a novice like heavy pounding on the handle.

-Cliff

I've had one for about 10 years. It's seen heavy use and abuse. It cuts like a champ and I have no complaints about it. It will take razor edge and hold it for a suprisingly long time. Maybe you got a lemon.

This is the second one of this type and I have used others before, a long time ago (~15 years) and recall them then also denting fairly easy. In any case I would not expect the steel quality to be similar to the GB forged spring steel. As for cutting ability, edge retention and so on, its low compared to a GB axe, high compared to a Hibben fantasy blade. So it depends on what you are using as a baseline benchmark. Considering its price, the Wetterings / GB are directly superior, unless you need the haft durability. Estwing also recently changed their warrenty here as well, which used to be one of the better ones.

-Cliff

The baseline benchmark I use is chopping wood. I never tried that with a Hibben blade. My hatchet works just fine on oak , persimmon, hickory or whatever. I'm still happy with it after all these years.

I too have one of those Estwing axes. Since I am no expert on axes, I will base my verdict on its exterior qualities and "feel" on my hands.

Heck, I like it. Of course, it won't outperform some of the sterling ones in its class, but it will do the ordinary medium-duty chores around the backyard. For the time being, that's good enough for me.

For the heavy duty stuff, I just bring out my A++ golok. It will outchop any of those highly-priced ones. But then I am prejudiced. :D

Cliff, I can't tell which Estwing you used. I bought what I'd call the 3/4 axe model twenty years ago. (A hardware store was going out of business, and the axe was 60% off. :rolleyes: )

The edge bent badly the first time I tried to clear out a chip resulting from its deep penetration. I beat it back into shape, but when I tried to chop with it, the edge folded over and a crescent-shaped piece about 1/4" x 1/5" broke out. It was super easy to file back into something approximating an edge. It was easily the softest axe head I have ever encountered in forty years of using. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Yeah, its pretty soft, you can bend the entire body really easily. In regards to performance, it is only meaningful when compared to something, "good" isn't defined in an absolute sense. Can the axe cut wood, yes, does it do it well compared to a Gransfors Bruks or Wetterling, no. It is a lot more durable in regards to impacts on the handle though so has its place as a beater in that regard.

-Cliff

Will the steel in a soft axe, such as Estwing, become harder with use?

Would chopping wood be a form of cold working that would cause some work hardening at the edge?

Yes, but this would not be beneficial. It tends to just make the edge brittle and then crack. You tend to see it readily with edges that are heavily stropped on fine polishes or worse yet steeled. If they continue to see heavy impact they eventually chip out badly.

In general I think Estwing has seen a horrible QC shift recently. I worked in construction 10+ years ago and Estwing hammers were very common then and I can't recall a lot of problems.

However lately I hear of them from my brother (does such work now) and see broken claws, shanks and even split heads.

I broke the shank of one the the 3/4 axes recently (just tried to see if it would clear a chip) with little difficulty and the grain was *extremely* coarse, as in you could see it being bumpy, 0.5 mm grains.

-Cliff

Back