A Simple Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting kinda funny. I was going to list numerous other examples of a company telling you what not to do with their product...lol...but decided better of it. Louisville Slugger tells...oh never mind.:D
That's what I'm thinking, are CRK owners "allowed" to flick their knives now or what?

Wasnt signed into main page saw the activity and popped in. Trolling, just telling the guy he is fighting a battle he cant win and to move on. Wouldnt you like that? No crk bashing threads. Yeah there is a forum im there regularly thought i would suggest to the guy to come on over. My god are the crk fanboys sensitive

Haven't looked back, eh....Well heres some of your post statistics that would suggest otherwise.

Chris Reeve Knives- 131
Knife Reviews & Testing-82
Kershaw Knives / Zero Tolerance- 81
For Sale: Production Knives (Individual)-58
Trade: Knives & Tools- 50
Rick Hinderer Knives -39

Looks like you spend plenty of time in the CRK neck of the woods. Holding grudges like this aren't good for the soul man. Yes, we've all read "YOUR" experience
with CRK but guess what that is "YOUR" experience and yours alone. We don't need to hear it over and over and over.....

김원진;10959384 said:
spydusse- when you call Chris Reeve a "douche" , and you try to have a knife warrantied after already stating that you sharpened it but complained about something with the edge. Who are you trying to kid, you're nothing but a troll on this side of the forums. "Haven't looked back"? It's sad you still need to come in here to get some kind of attention.

I think you'll be the first i try out this ignore function. Tired of seeing idiocy around these forums. Go troll around somewhere else.
oh i said that in here, dont think i did. Thanks for telling me where im allowed to post boss. Yeah i need attention, or do i see guys who i believe are telling the truth getting called liars and i wont to take their side. So what you are telling me is its ok to defend crk but not ok to defend the other side of the argument.
@snowreaper those post were all made in the thread when i was having a problem with crks warranty, count the posts after. Ill help you from doing the work, its the posts in this thread and two post in one other thread :).its also funny that you left spyderco forum off the top of the list. as i know without checking thats my number one posted in forum. Lol what about general,geez if i was here for attention i would be blushing right now. Let me just say for the thousandth time, i tried PURCHASING a new blade and was denied because of my thread.
I always thought some constructive criticism can go a long way to help improving a company. Youre not going to learn anything from good comments but rather the bad. What i gather from the posters here is, its are way or the highway.

Last edited:
I understand your frustration as you obviously have an issue with your knife. The problem is that only CRK can solve the problem. Talking to us may be a good way to vent, but it doesn't fix the knife.

The point has been made. Move on.

Or, so that it is possibly more clear to you...

lol i think that everone here has read youre posts and gets wut you are trying to say and what happened.now we all know that crk doesnt care about his customers at all and just wants to scew everyone over and take there money and run :Dlol so now might be a godo time to move onto the next company that makes knifes and hang out there:)

My god spydusse, can you not just quit trolling. Please stop.

Please go, and take your own advice, "and don't look back".

edit- sorry folks, I'm not in a good mood this morning, and this troll is getting to me,lol.

So when someone disagrees with what youre saying that makes them a troll? Then you just go on and on calling them a troll when they are actually talking about the topic (Crks warranty). To me a troll is someone who fills a thread with posts that have nothing to do with the topic . I for one will accept that apology ,troll.
Look if you dont like my opinion on the topic then add me to your ignore list. There is no need for name calling

To you, trolls can be whatever you like.

In the real world...

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Are you honestly saying that your comments are not inflammatory or extraneous?

My post have more to do with the topic then yours or kens have. Edit besides the last two cause you guys are pulling me into troll dem. Get back on topic crks warranty or lack there of you decide

Oh, and calling him a troll instead of discussing the topic at hand is not trolling either? So he suggested to try out another company, he did it and is happy, big deal get over it and accept that different people have different opinions and will voice them. Just because we are on the CRK forum does not mean no criticism can be directed at CRK. Many many comments on here are "inflammatory" to some, but it is the intention of the poster, which is very hard to detect in an online community. I for one do not see Spydusse as being "inflammatory" and the only "extraneous" comments are from the people trying to shut anyone up with a bad experience that tries to discuss it. He is not trying to start crap, he stated an experience, how he remedied it and how he feels about it afterwards. His experience is/was relevant to the topic at hand.

And Snowreaper1, come on at least show all of his post categories. You cannot tell me that was not meant to be inflammatory or at least misleading to get people to bash this guy.

Top Areas Of Posting
Spyderco
General Knife Discussion
ESEE KNIVES
Chris Reeve Knives
Knife Reviews & Testing
Kershaw Knives / Zero Tolerance
For Sale: Production Knives (Individual)
Trade: Knives & Tools
edit: There are more but you get the point

No, it is not. Thanks.

Time for him to take his own advise, and "don't look back".

I think CRK is really missing the point with all of this. They have gotten themselves into a situation where they as a company are arguing with their customers, and this isn't the first time I have seen it from them. Last year it was the issue of the heat treat on the blade steel where they cut however many feet of extension cord and could still shave hair.

They could have used this opportunity to provide EXCELLENT customer service and just replaced or repaired these few issues from the start and we wouldn't be here arguing on the internet. Instead we would have members coming here and extolling the wonderful virtues of the CRK warranty which would inspire trust in the brand. Now we have users arguing with each other about an issue that is perceived as real. Doesn't matter if it's real or not, perception is reality. When a potential new customer is researching spending $350+ on a knife they will come across these rumored problems and make a decision on whether they will buy a knife from CRK.

I think this comes down to CRK being a small company that holds the product they hand make with love in the highest regard. There are many advantages in a company of this size. There are lots of qualities that we love about small, hometown USA made products. There are also some disadvantages. Since this is a labor of love for them, they are too close to the issue. Complaints are taken very personally and you become very defensive.

But this is a business for them, not a hobby. As a business owner and manager you have to make impersonal decisions at times. Warranty/Returns are one of those areas. You protect your good name and reputation by responding quickly to customer service issues. You don't argue with the customer when they return an item for repair or replacement when you suspect their might be abuse. This is a retail business. Have you ever been to a place you consider a "good" retail establishment and seen someone at the returns desk arguing with a customer over a defective/damaged product? They might be arguing over whether they have a receipt or not but the cashier at Target isn't arguing over WHY they are returning an item. They aren't arguing because it goes against every ethos of good customer service.

So you might be thinking "yeah but that will result in additional costs to the company" and you are completely correct. It is the cost of doing business. All good businesses plan and prepare for this. Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, they all budget for fraudulent returns, shoplifters, warranty costs. It's worked into the price of everything you buy. But you know what, those costs bring in more customers, and hence, more money.

What is the cost of a few (or a lot) of Ti lock scales? How many potential customers don't buy a CRK because they are "rumored" to have lock bar issues, or heat treat issues, or "flicking" issues.

And while hitting on "flicking" issues... Why is it that every other major knife maker out there responds to flicking questions with "heck yeah, flick all you want, it's your knife and we stand behind it" and CRK says "don't flick your knife, that's abuse!"?

It all comes down to this very simple concept:

Stand behind your product.... period.

I know. I know, easier said than done, but it must be done to drive future sales, rather than driving away potential customers.

[Edit add: My comments only apply to the Original Purchaser of the knife not the second, third, fourth, or fifth purchaser of the same knife. Are the knives serial coded?]

Agree. I'm in the market for my first knife at 52 years old and am very interested in the Umnumzaan. Reading this thread has given me pause. Why isn't the customer always right? Why isn't the Company learning and adapting it's product to meet the market needs? If I purchase a Umnumzaan will I have to also purchase a new $130 lockbar as a regular maintenance item?

These are troubling questions for a $425 folding knife product.

Prior to reading this thread, my expectation was that the Company would warranty the product for life for all problems other than extreme abuse. My definition of extreme abuse is using the blade as a pry bar and snapping the blade. The Company should make a detailed list of what is not covered under warranty. It appears that abuse is too broad a definition. Until a specific listing of abuse activities is provided, everything should be covered.

I'll wait until the Company provides more specifics and clarity on their Lifetime Warranty before I purchase.

Last edited:
Agree. I'm in the market for my first knife at 52 years old and am very interested in the Umnumzaan. Reading this thread has given me pause. Why isn't the customer always right? Why isn't the Company learning and adapting it's product to meet the market needs? If I purchase a Umnumzaan will I have to also purchase a new $130 lockbar as a regular maintenance item?

These are troubling questions for a $425 folding knife product.

Prior to reading this thread, my expectation was that the Company would warranty the product for life for all problems other than extreme abuse. My definition of extreme abuse is using the blade as a pry bar and snapping the blade. The Company should make a list of what is not covered under warranty. Until then everything should be covered.

No because the Umnumzaan uses a ceramic ball as contact area between the blade and lock bar. It does not have the issues mentioned as the Sebenza.

Here is the post that shows the ceramic ball concept in the Umnumzaan

Some of you wanted to see macr shots of the Umnumzaan after seeing the Sebenza shots in my other thread and,well, with such awesome feedback how could I resist.
So in no particular order here they are....let me know what you think.
Also, I was shooting outside and as luck would have it it started to rain and so you may see a drop or two of water in some of the shots. Luckily it's all stainless!

6162289159_071c91c06a_b.jpg

6162822332_ea003906aa_b.jpg

Added a little canned air to the perforated washer while trying to combat the rain drops and inadvertantly created a 'spinner'.

6156734385_698995e4d5_b.jpg

6156733955_6cd25776ff_b.jpg

6157273728_5b3cfd4dc5_b.jpg

I guess we all agree to disagree. All I know is that CRK can sell more knives than they can produce. While a few people have had negative experiences, the overwhelming majority of their customers are thrilled. Hence all the hard earned quality awards. My next one is due to arrive tomorrow.

From an outsider looking in and from someone who has not yet spent over $150 on a knife and thus not owning a CRK knife, I do not see it as an agenda from anybody on here, but information I find valuable when making a $400 purchase. I do not want to buy a $400 knife knowing that if/when a problem arises, the company will treat me like crap and write me off. I think the few guys here have been treated wrongly and CRK won't own up to it. Hopefully an acceptable conclusion for all people involved happens of course. The real problem I have seen is from guys like you attacking CRK customers who are trying to get problems solved, and sharing bad experiences. Sure he is upset, I would be too, and I do not think he is beating a dead horse and certainly not trolling. Just my perspective, everyone has their own, but you look seem like the one with an agenda, and the problem.

[Edit add: My comments only apply to the Original Purchaser of the knife not the second, third, fourth, or fifth purchaser of the same knife.]

+1. This is a very valuable and neutral thread regarding the Lifetime Warranty of CRK products. The definition of what is and is not included in the Warranty should be made crystal clear for all potential buyers. The fact that the Lifetime Warranty is too open to interpretation causes customer confusion and, unfortunately, surprise when the product fails and it is not covered under Warranty.

Last edited:
Good grief.

This thread needs to be locked until the second installment is put out.

Nothing productive is going on here, between the trolls ands accusations.

Let is rest.

No because the Umnumzaan uses a ceramic ball as contact area between the blade and lock bar. It does not have the issues mentioned as the Sebenza.

Here is the post that shows the ceramic ball concept in the Umnumzaan

[Edit add: My comments only apply to the Original Purchaser of the knife not the second, third, fourth, or fifth purchaser of the same knife.]

Thank you for the detailed pictures on the Umnumzaan. I really want to purchase this knife. Unfortunately, for me, the issue of what is covered and not covered in the Lifetime Warranty casts a shadow over the entire Brand of products.

Last edited:
oh i said that in here, dont think i did. Thanks for telling me where im allowed to post boss. Yeah i need attention, or do i see guys who i believe are telling the truth getting called liars and i wont to take their side. So what you are telling me is its ok to defend crk but not ok to defend the other side of the argument.
@snowreaper those post were all made in the thread when i was having a problem with crks warranty, count the posts after. Ill help you from doing the work, its the posts in this thread and two post in one other thread :).its also funny that you left spyderco forum off the top of the list. as i know without checking thats my number one posted in forum. Lol what about general,geez if i was here for attention i would be blushing right now. Let me just say for the thousandth time, i tried PURCHASING a new blade and was denied because of my thread.
I always thought some constructive criticism can go a long way to help improving a company. Youre not going to learn anything from good comments but rather the bad. What i gather from the posters here is, its are way or the highway.

That underlined part is funny. I had waited for about 7 months for My damascus micarta inlayed sebenza and after my experience Chris said he was unsure of my order status. I asked what the hell that meant and they couldn't give me an answer.

I said oh well and took my money and ran. $615 to spend on other knives :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back