A small task for my 'finger

schmittie

Gold Member
Since my last camping trip was washed out (literally, the pop-up storm was ridiculous) I've not gotten much of a chance to use my new Bushfinger as I had hoped. So unfortunately, I've not played with it like I had hoped. With having the day off today, I was going to remedy that, even if it was just a little job. For those of you who are hoping to see traps being built, a one stick fire, or even a spoon carved out, I apologize, you'll not see that here this time. Instead, I went with a modest kitchen task, but hopefully this will be something that you have not done before. (at this point I will say that I ALWAYS use my poultry shears for this job. This is the first time I have ever done this with a knife)

Pull up a chair, maybe you'll learn something:

How about some chicken prep? You'll need a few things for this, a cutting board, a whole chicken, and of course something to cut with!

IMG_0490.jpg

What's the plan here? "Butchering a whole chicken" you may be thinking.....Not exactly. But in a limited way, yes. We will be very selective though.

Since I'm using my knife, I have placed the bird facing away from me on its butt so that the back and spine are facing me. Let's see if we can remove the spine. How? Cut it out!!!

IMG_0491.jpg

Holy cow! I gotta say I did not expect it to be this easy! Cut #1 sailed through like a lightsaber! (Andy, do you have Jedi training? Is that your secret?!)
I stopped half way on the second cut for the picture. Once you cut through both sides of the spine, remove it and discard. Then lay the bird down on it's breast so you are looking at the inside of the ribs.

IMG_0492.jpg

Our next step is removing this bone in the middle. (its the sternum maybe?)
IMG_0493.jpg

To do that, make a shallow slice down both sides. Then you'll have to cut it free from each side of the breast. It is joined at one spot at each side of the rib cage. Just turn your blade up and cut through that joint.
IMG_0495.jpg

Again, to cut through chicken bones, I always use poultry shears. I was amazed at how quick and easy my FB made this job.

At this stage, just grab the sternum and gently but firmly pull it out from top to bottom. It will come out with a bit of resistance.
IMG_0496.jpg

Now flip the bird over and season well.

IMG_0497.jpg

By doing these few things, we have managed to keep our chicken whole but, now it lays perfectly flat. Why is that a good thing? Well I guess you could roast it, but why bother when you can grill?

IMG_0498.jpg

I'll put this in my preheated gas grill, on low with the lid shut. Take your time here, low and slow makes some great grilled chicken! Its time to crack open a beer and wait it out. It usually takes me 35-45 minutes on low.

When you do happen to flip it over, if you see that the legs and thighs come off, no biggie. Sometimes it all stays together, sometimes it doesn't.

IMG_0501.jpg

When its just a few minutes away from being done, start slathering on the sauce!

IMG_0502.jpg

Even Bailey can't wait!!

IMG_0508.jpg

Chill out sweetie, and keep dreaming!

IMG_0515.jpg

I love me some barbecued birdie!

IMG_0517.jpg

I can't say I have ever put my bush knives through kitchen duty, but today, I'm glad I did. At this point, I'm starting to really think about getting a Fiddleback just for the kitchen. Thanks again Mr Roy. This is one sweet knife!

IMG_0518.jpg

nice! thanks for the info...and of course, the pics.

Thanks for the write up and the pictorial schmittie! Good stuff. IMO these knives really do look their best when they're buried deep in some tasty meat or biting through some wood; green or well seasoned it makes no difference! Thanks for the "in use" shots...they're always cool to see. Did you happen to inspect the edge after taking apart the bones? Mind you it was only chicken bones and you certainly didn't have to do much to them, I'm just curious...I normally also use shears or a dedicated bone saw for that type of work because I'm paranoid about rolling or damaging an edge. So...does Andy's heat treat kick the crap out of a few little chicken bones or what? :p Also, your dog is bloody adorable. Female or just a bit of a young, welterweight guy? For your sake I hope it's female: female Rottweilers might just be the sweetest, silliest dog on the planet. Males are great too but they can get pretty stupid and stubborn some times. Also, it looks like a full blood Rottweiler but that's hard to tell from pics. Do you have a Rottweiler, another Swiss breed or a mixed breed? BTW thanks for the inspiration...I REALLY need to get a few pictures and a little review of my new Bushfinger up here to share with you guys. Hopefully I'll get to that later today.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed.

To answer your first question, yes, I did inspect the edge. No effect what so ever. It's like she's brand new, as I recieved from Mr Roy. It's just chicken bones, but still, pretty cool!

As far as the other question, yep, Bailey is a full blood rott. She weighs in at 95 lbs. Our male that we had previously (which we lost to bone cancer) was HUGE. He topped out at 165! And your description was quite accurate- she is the sweetest, he was just plain stubborn, a good buddy, but STUBBORN! We miss him a lot.

Hurry up and get your BF dirty, and post up some pics!

Back