1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

A special toast to my grandparents

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by NoRest, Sep 9, 2019.

1. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    My grandparents met in Missouri in the forties. My grandfather got work in Alaska as a pilot and traveled there alone to find a home. My grandmother was still in Missouri. He found a place in Yakutat and sent for my grandmother. She traveled to the west coast where she boarded a ship to Alaska to meet him. They were married in Juneau on January 22, 1948. They started their life there and had my mother. A couple years later my aunt was born. While on the ship to Alaska my grandmother got this small bottle of Black and White scotch. They had planned to save this bottle until their 50th anniversary and drink it together. They retired and built a house in the mountains of northern Colorado. We spent holidays and summers there while I was growing up. We had lots of special times and made great memories there together. My grandfather passed in the early 80's. My grandmother passed in the late 90's. They never got to celebrate their 50th together. The house was sold and our time there ended. Fifteen years went by and my aunt saw that the house went up for sale. She bought it. Now we all get to go and spend time back in the place we loved so much. I now go there several times every year and enjoy the place I loved so much as a child. A few years ago my mother gave me the bottle and told me this story. She told me she wanted me to have it and to do whatever I wanted with it. I held onto it for a quite a few years not knowing what I should do with it. This summer on one of my many trips there I decided to drink the scotch. I climbed up on a big rock pile behind the house with a couple good friends. I remembered all the great times we had together there as a family while I drank it. I know my grandparents were smiling as I toasted their life together.
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Wow man! thanks a special story, thank you for sharing it! Glad I finally got the chance to meet you guys. :thumbsup:

NOLA and NoRest like this.
  3. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Awesome stuff my friend. We need to share a drink at trackrock

Choppaman, NOLA and NoRest like this.
  4. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    That's a nice story.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

NoRest likes this.
  5. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Count on it Bob. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

6. Outpost Allison

Outpost Allison

Aug 3, 2018
    Loved reading that! Thanks for sharing :)

NoRest likes this.
  7. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story, good times, and beloved family.

NoRest likes this.
  8. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    That is so cool brother! I bet the buzz you had doing that was better than any buzz you can have. Remembering the good times with great family and friends. It's awesome how things work out like that. Thanks for sharing!!!

NoRest and Outpost Allison like this.